Combat Squads and Reserves

jbarket

Hey guys,

I've seen a lot of talk on here lately about combat squading from reserves, and I want to get some clarity.

I've been under the impression that, since you declare combat squads at deployment, that meant initial deployment and not the deployment of the individual model. Thus, when the game starts, I declare combat squads. If they're both going into reserve, they both go into reserve and I roll for them separately. Similarly, since I'm under the impression that I declare it at deployment, I might split, deploy one half and reserve the other.

What I'm hearing is that deployment may refer to the individual unit. This means 1) that I have to reserve the whole thing, 2) I only roll once even if I split them into combat squads and 3) I can wait to declare until I've rolled for them.

Somebody clear this up. I know it's vague in the rulebook, but what's the general consensus.

The decision to split the unit into combat squads, as well as which models go into each combat squad, must be made when the unit is deployed.
When deploying their army, players may choose not to deploy one or more of the units in their army and instead leave them in reserve.
Once all of the units have been rolled for, the player picks any one of the units arriving and deploys it,

You either choose to deploy the ten man squad as two five man combat squads during deployment, or choose to place the ten man squad into reserves and when they become available with a single reserves die roll then deploy them as a single unit of ten or two combat squads of five.

Deployment (or Deploying) is an action, that often but not allways ocures during the deployment phase. The deployment phase is on one or two ocassions simply called deployment. This has caused more than one person to incorectly think that combat squading is chosen during the deployment phase as opposed to when the unit performs it deployment action. Dont worry it happens.

Archived