Jaeger the Lone wolf

Ash Tekka

First, the good stuff: I really like the gooey goodness you've achieved on his base, adds a nice visceral look to the mini. I also really like the shade of grey you've gone for on his armour, which is complemented nicely by that nice deep blue (don't often see real blue on Wolves) and the beautifully burnished trim on his armour. The bone looks pretty nice and although I think that the hazard stripes could benefit from a little highlighting they're a nice personalising touch as well. His blonde hair looks pretty nicely done too, real blonde and not peroxide :lol:

Now the criticism I'm afraid; The paint looks a bit too thick in places, most notably on his face, which is a shame because I really like this mini. To me though the face of a mini is the most important focal point of a mini but also one of the most difficult to get right. If you can, since you said this is for a contest, I'd try and paint up another one. Now that might sound a bit harsh, but I'm not sure that this one could be 'corrected' without a lot of effort. I could be wrong on that, but I think it could be worth while doing another head for him, using much thinner layers of paint.

Aside from that though, as I said I do really like this mini and I wish you luck with the contest. Let us know how you get on :)

James

The paint seems a bit blobby and the chainsword looks off for some reason that I can't quite figure out, but other than that he looks great. I really like the death and gore lying at his feet kind of base and his "killed a hundred enemies and still not satisfied" kind of look.

I could be wrong on that, but I think it could be worth while doing another head for him, using much thinner layers of paint.

My last layer of paint I used wasn't thinned enough and fethed it up real bad. I'm actually glad to hear you say this as I had been contemplating popping it off and doing another one once I had finished everything else.

Th other place I felt I had an issue was on the shield. The mix I was using for my grey had started getting weird on me when I was finishing the shield and I feel it looks thick as well. I can't seem to mix another batch thats an exact match to what I used so I think I'm stuck with this. I was thinking of doing some damage or mud on it to see if that helped.

The paint seems a bit blobby and the chainsword looks off for some reason that I can't quite figure out,

Any specific areas look blobby to you? Is it the positioning of the sword that looks weird? If you figure out what looks off let me know;)

I tried a bunch of new techniques on this guy I've never used before. I usually just base coat, highlight, and drybrush. Pretty much every technique I used on this guy is one I've been wanting to try but never did because the figure wouldn't match the rest of my guys. Figured I could go nuts on a lone wolf and it wouldn't matter if he looked a little different.

As for his stance I was aiming for it to look like he has been standing in one spot hacking and slashing for the entire battle. From the replies it seems that at least worked for me.

ps. funny note my freinds play death guard and soul drinkers which is what the parts on the base are (you can't see the soul drinker peice under the left foot from this view.)

Much better on the head, some ares still are a tad to thick with the paints (the different skulls, the chainsword as well as the necklace).

Other than that I think that giving him another stance/pose will work wonders for this mini, have him lower the chainsword, as if taking a moment's rest in the carnage, or heighten it and instead lower the shield, making him taking a swing.

Just my 0.02c

Much better on the head, some ares still are a tad to thick with the paints (the different skulls, the chainsword as well as the necklace).

Other than that I think that giving him another stance/pose will work wonders for this mini, have him lower the chainsword, as if taking a moment's rest in the carnage, or heighten it and instead lower the shield, making him taking a swing.

Good idea. I've had to reassemble him about 4 times because of dropping him so I know he comes apart pretty easy. I'll try both and see if I can get a taunting type of stance out of him.

I was planning on cleaning some of the areas so I'll make sure to add the spots you mentioned to my list and see what I can do with them.

Might be the lighting/flash, but is he frothing at the mouth? His lower lip seems white. I think the reason the chainsword looks "blobby" is because some of the metallics are running into each other. I'm no expert but perhaps a black wash in the recesses could make them more distinct. But overall i love what you did with the armor, looks very nice. Well painted mini, although i'm not a huge fan of the brown sugar on his feet.

Might be the lighting/flash, but is he frothing at the mouth? His lower lip seems white. I think the reason the chainsword looks "blobby" is because some of the metallics are running into each other. I'm no expert but perhaps a black wash in the recesses could make them more distinct. But overall i love what you did with the armor, looks very nice. Well painted mini, although i'm not a huge fan of the brown sugar on his feet.

I think the mouth thing is the lighting being a little excessively bright. However I love the idea just not sure how I'd paint froth.

I agree about the metals I need some seperation between the two. Somethine always bugged me about it but I couldn't figure it out.

the "brown sugar" is actually sand...I think I need to use something with a little smaller grain next time...

Where did the sword come from because it looks like it is back to front because it is missing the exhaust port.

The sword is right out of the space wolves box. There is no exhaust vents like a normal chainsword. I assume that they are under the wolf head on the body as there's some slots there. Now that I think of it I should probably weather those abit so they look like exhaust ports.

Okay I tried freehanding a logo on his shoulder. Good or bad? I can't decide if I like it or not. My opinion of it changes everytime I see it.

gallery_54751_5372_37628.jpg

For him being a space puppy I can't say I like it on HIM, on a white scar it would be great but seeing as it looks more like Mandarin or japanese wording instead of actual runes.

i like the model but like the others, i agree the chainswords a little off. its off cuz he's a space wolf and you painted warning colossus on the chainsword. he is a space wolf, they lurve danger so it ooks a little off to me.

For him being a space puppy I can't say I like it on HIM, on a white scar it would be great but seeing as it looks more like Mandarin or japanese wording instead of actual runes.

Good catch its actually the japanese character for wolf. I just felt the pure grey shoulder pad was too plain compared to the rest.

Archived