First ever decent model...

god froggy

This is probably my first model painted with some degree of detail, even though the paint scheme is still shocking! Its black with ultramarines blue drybrushed onto that very lightly. I know there's loads of black showing through, I wanted the blue to be a tad darker than Crimson Fist's blue.

It is different to my tactical marines (which are painted the same as this with less detail) because the shoulderpads are one black and one pure blue, just like the cape.

Please give C&C! Sorry for bad photography!

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee344/rockingyourworld/019.jpg

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee344/rockingyourworld/020.jpg

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee344/rockingyourworld/021.jpg

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee344/rockingyourworld/022.jpg

It needs another layer of paint and highlighting etc. The reason this is WIP is the fact it isn't based properly yet. That's just there to make it stand up.

My advise and I don't know what you do...

Water down your paints as well but not by too much...

Black undercoat

Then paint a 1st layer of all the major colours in the appropriate areas... this colour may not be what the final colour is... for example with flesh I will often start with a brown, red or purple depending on the colour I want.

Anyway as blue is your main colour I would use the Dark blue foundation paint if it is darker than the final colour you want if not try mixing black paint with a blue or purple to get a dark blue/purple and use that as your first layer in the dark blue areas leaving the crakcs black. Do this with all the major colours first.

Then start doing multiple thin layers building up to the colour you want (dry brushing can be used, getting lighter and lighter but it depends on what effect you want) and work in the largest blocks of colour first and work your way down to the smallest colour blocks. For example the blue cape is a large block of blue do that early... the red eye lenses are small do them later.

Now you should have the colours you want mainly where you want them. Now you seem to be a bit of a messy painter like me so the next bit will make a big difference for you. Go back and sort out those bits where your paint has gone over into areas you don't want it like where you have red spilling over from the lense onto the helmet. Again do the biggest blocks of colour and work down and should you have any spill over from the small blocks of colour you can do a final very careful correction and this will make your models look a lot nicer.

I think the problem is you tried to make big leaps between black and another colour and that if you built it up in steps you would get a much smoother result and you can even mess about with some shading while you are at it. Inks/washes and basic highlights would be other places to look.

Oh and I don't know if you have found that gold paint won't stick very well then here is a good way to paint gold

Over the area you want gold paint it

1) Brown, Tin bitz or Boltgun metal (you get different effect depending on what colours you use so I thought I would give you a few options.. I'm sure you could find other ways) leave the cracks black.

2) Over those areas paint a colours like Brazen brass or Mithril silver and depending on what colours you used or effect you want you might want to leave a bit of the previous layer visable say next to the black cracks.

3) finally paint your gold over the top and again if you wish you can leave of the previous layer (brass or silver) showing if you want. Again how you apply these layers such as dry brushing will effect how your gold comes out and you might want to try some washes on gold as well... such as devlan mud or ogryn flesh or good old black.

I'm just trying to give you ideas and the key is to experiment and mess around I'm not a great painter and this is a good effort but I think you have the abillity to do a lot better if you just take some more time over painting your models and who knows with enough practise and messing around we may see some of your models in the Golden daemon one day!

My advise and I don't know what you do...

Water down your paints as well but not by too much...

Black undercoat

Then paint a 1st layer of all the major colours in the appropriate areas... this colour may not be what the final colour is... for example with flesh I will often start with a brown, red or purple depending on the colour I want.

Anyway as blue is your main colour I would use the Dark blue foundation paint if it is darker than the final colour you want if not try mixing black paint with a blue or purple to get a dark blue/purple and use that as your first layer in the dark blue areas leaving the crakcs black. Do this with all the major colours first.

Then start doing multiple thin layers building up to the colour you want (dry brushing can be used, getting lighter and lighter but it depends on what effect you want) and work in the largest blocks of colour first and work your way down to the smallest colour blocks. For example the blue cape is a large block of blue do that early... the red eye lenses are small do them later.

Now you should have the colours you want mainly where you want them. Now you seem to be a bit of a messy painter like me so the next bit will make a big difference for you. Go back and sort out those bits where your paint has gone over into areas you don't want it like where you have red spilling over from the lense onto the helmet. Again do the biggest blocks of colour and work down and should you have any spill over from the small blocks of colour you can do a final very careful correction and this will make your models look a lot nicer.

I think the problem is you tried to make big leaps between black and another colour and that if you built it up in steps you would get a much smoother result and you can even mess about with some shading while you are at it. Inks/washes and basic highlights would be other places to look.

Oh and I don't know if you have found that gold paint won't stick very well then here is a good way to paint gold

Over the area you want gold paint it

1) Brown, Tin bitz or Boltgun metal (you get different effect depending on what colours you use so I thought I would give you a few options.. I'm sure you could find other ways) leave the cracks black.

2) Over those areas paint a colours like Brazen brass or Mithril silver and depending on what colours you used or effect you want you might want to leave a bit of the previous layer visable say next to the black cracks.

3) finally paint your gold over the top and again if you wish you can leave of the previous layer (brass or silver) showing if you want. Again how you apply these layers such as dry brushing will effect how your gold comes out and you might want to try some washes on gold as well... such as devlan mud or ogryn flesh or good old black.

I'm just trying to give you ideas and the key is to experiment and mess around I'm not a great painter and this is a good effort but I think you have the abillity to do a lot better if you just take some more time over painting your models and who knows with enough practise and messing around we may see some of your models in the Golden daemon one day!

Thanks for the help! I'll be hopefully getting the black reach set in the next few months so I'll paint the commander that comes with that like your way. Most of the other normal guys (tac squads) I'll paint normally (no drybrushing) so it should look a bit better.

Anyway thanks for the help!! :)

Thanks for the help! I'll be hopefully getting the black reach set in the next few months so I'll paint the commander that comes with that like your way. Most of the other normal guys (tac squads) I'll paint normally (no drybrushing) so it should look a bit better.

Anyway thanks for the help!! :)

Ooo I don't know about you but I always want to paint the cool guys first, my advise would be don't and use your normal bolter marines (when you get black reach) to test out new ways of painting... because if you mess up or don't like that style on a bolter marine who cares it isn't the end of the world. Your captain on the other hand will stand out so you will want to make him look as nice as possible.

Anyway I'll keep an eye out for your name and if I catch a topic with your black reach minis in it I'll pop in and see how you are doing. It will be nice to see a whole army pic when you are done!

Ooo I don't know about you but I always want to paint the cool guys first, my advise would be don't and use your normal bolter marines (when you get black reach) to test out new ways of painting... because if you mess up or don't like that style on a bolter marine who cares it isn't the end of the world. Your captain on the other hand will stand out so you will want to make him look as nice as possible.

Oh good because last year when I began to get into 40k I bought a box of tactical marines and about 5 of them I assembled in ways that made them look cool (So one is holding a plasmagun in one hand and a plasma pistol in the other, with rockets strapped to his back) and a few others unpainted.

Anyway I'll keep an eye out for your name and if I catch a topic with your black reach minis in it I'll pop in and see how you are doing. It will be nice to see a whole army pic when you are done!

That should be a while (I'm looking at Christmas here :) ) but yeah it should look alright because I have a battleforce, a whirlwind, soon I'll have a dreadnought and probably quite a lot more at Christmas.

Thanks for the help and support!

Archived