How to beat Necrons?

AyanamiKun

bikes work well against crons.. i often tie up a unit with scout bikes and the T5 against single attacks at I2 are usually enough to keep winning combat, the fist or Pw keeps kills nocthed up too.

eventually run them down and move onto the next

• 7 months later...
does the stratedgy of ignoring monoliths still come into play if hes using 2 monoliths? also the necron guy i play against say a model who has a thunder hammer would hit the monolith as strength 4 :cuss along with power fist, milti meltas dont get 2D6 etc , is this true?

does the stratedgy of ignoring monoliths still come into play if hes using 2 monoliths? also the necron guy i play against say a model who has a thunder hammer would hit the monolith as strength 4 ^_^ along with power fist, milti meltas dont get 2D6 etc , is this true?

i cant remember exactly how the 'living metal' rule is worded, but its corret that melta and the like only gets 1d6.. im pretty sure hammers and fists still strike at S8, but you may aswell be throwing spitwads unless your AP1 and like rolling 6's

ignoring monoliths is currently the best way to fight crons, if your opponent takes 2 it makes our life alot easier..

given the penchant for cron players to portal units out of assault (and give them a second shot at WBB rolls), the best way to kill units is to beat them soundly in combata nd run them all down.. they cant WBB when they are wiped out like that.

with nearly 500 points spent on monoliths, it wont take much to force a phase out.

if you do want to kill a monolith, vindicators and lascannons are our friends

Monoliths ignore additional D6s for Melta etc, but they do NOT ignore double STR for PFist/THammer, nor do they ignore the "roll 2D6 and pick highest" for Ordnance.

ok becausei swung at a monolith with lysanders 6 (off the charge ) attacks and hes saying oh they are reduced to original strength

this is wrong on two points.. lysanders weapon doesnt double his strength.. all attacks are resolved at S10..

lysander is one of the best ways to kill a monolith

edit: rule of thumb: if anyone ever quotes a rule that you dont agree with ir have never heard before, ask to see the actual quote in black and white from thier codex..

so to clarify , anything thats says, "hits are resolved at Xstrength " they will hit at x

Yes. And anything which doubles Strength will still double strength. And anything which allows you too roll extra dice and select one will still work.

The only thing living metal stops is weapons which roll 2D6 and add them together to the armour pen roll.

so to clarify , anything thats says, "hits are resolved at Xstrength " they will hit at x

against the monolith yes..

also lysanders hammer is master crafted which means you get to re-roll one failed hit.. also it adds +1 to the vehcile damage table.

lysander should quite easily kill a monolith

and finally im not sure what its called but its on the monolith and it drops a pie, thats strength ten ap 1

its the monoliths main weapon system, its only a small template btw.

also it cant be used if your opponent uses the portal

do you think stern guard are worth or is it useless ?

sternguard AP3 vengeance rounds will drop necrons like a bad habit.. i think the unit combo of epistolary with gate and avenger and ten basic sternguard with fist would rip through a necron army

as a necron player i fear lots of high str (8 and up) and lots of power weapons. those are pretty much the only way to ignore the will be back rule. with out wbb it is very easy for me to phase out.

as a necron player i fear lots of high str (8 and up) and lots of power weapons. those are pretty much the only way to ignore the will be back rule. with out wbb it is very easy for me to phase out.

well this guy im facing is hacks cause hes saying his particle whip is large blast str 10 ap 1

and finally im not sure what its called but its on the monolith and it drops a pie, thats strength ten ap 1

It's a large blast because it's Ordnance.

It's a large blast because it's Ordnance.

is it really?

i thought it said 'blast' on the rules.. lemme quickly check

yup it says ordnance/blast.. i skimmed and saw blast and thought small template.. ordnance does indeed use large template

mea culpa, sorry for the mix-up

In regards to the Monolith's Living Metal, I believe that in the Codex it says you don't get the double S for power fists etc, but rather it is the FAQ that says you do get it. So if I'm not going mad and the Codex does say that, pull out your freshly printed FAQ for Necrons and point it out :P.

In regards to the Monolith's Living Metal, I believe that in the Codex it says you don't get the double S for power fists etc, but rather it is the FAQ that says you do get it. So if I'm not going mad and the Codex does say that, pull out your freshly printed FAQ for Necrons and point it out :P.

You are correct, and the Necron FAQ is here FWIW

ah, darkguard kinda has it correct, the living metal rule is this:

Living metal: The monolith is made up of living necron metal which is not only self repairing but is capable of adapting its structure to resist incoming attacks.

Attacks which count the targets armour value as being less that it really is (such as bright lances and blasters) do not do so against the monolith.

Similarly, weapons that get additional armour penetration dice (such as chainfists, monstrous creatures or melta weapons) do not get the extra dice against the monolith.

Ordnance weapons still roll 2D6 for armour penetration and select the highest score.

although it makes no mention of strength which is strange why anyone would assume living metal affects strength..

but anyway, the FAQ clears up matters:

Q. Does a model with a powerfist/claw that

attacks a Monolith get to double its Strength for

armour penetration rolls?

A. Yes, powerfists/claws, thunder hammers, and so on still double their user’s Strength when

attacking a Monolith.

note some people will argue that meltabombs and might of ancients roll 2D6 for armour pen, becuase they dont have 'additional dice'.. but since the chainfist ios listed it sets a precedent for these items to alos be precluded from using the second D6

and also, I'm pretty sure that only the model hit by the "hole" in the ordinance template from the particle whip is hit by ap1, the rest is ap2 or 3...

yes your right, only the model under the hole is AP1.. for the rest of the template the particle whip is only AP3

'nother Necron player here. If you're playing Necron opponent who fancies himself competitive, chances are he won't be taking a C'Tan. They're fun to play, make a great intimidation tool and become a hell of a fire magnet and can walk through a lot of fire with T8, but they're just too slow, massive point sinks and, as mentioned above, very vulnerable to Sternguard and Scout snipers. The best use of points and HQ slots is two Lords, as they're only 210 points at most and are the only units that can carry equipment, barring disruption fields.

Another tip would be never underestimate Scarab Swarms. Their stats are weak but they have three wounds apiece and four attacks on the charge. With a maximum squad size of 10 if any of your tac squads get charged even though you'll have initiative and kill a few you'll likely be taking a minimum of 30 or so attacks. 3+ sv should protect you from the worst of it but one bad roll could put them in a tight spot, and even if they don't kill you they're an infuriating tarpit unit. Plus, for four points a piece they get disruption fields, which basically gives their melee attacks the gauss rule, and they can glance vehicles on a 6. This makes them an absolute bane to armor. It's worth using a few template weapons to take the fangs out of these units. And whatever you do, keep them away from your Dreadnaughts. Typically you won't see more than one unit of Scarabs as they're fast attack and therefore would take up valuable slots for Wraiths and, more importantly, Destroyers.

Go after Wraiths with power weapons. They can really put the hurt on tactical squads and the like so Vanguard vets or Terminators of any sort are perfect for them. They get the 3+ saves anyway, but unless there's a Lord around with a Res Orb, they won't be getting back up again after dying.

If he's keen, he'll keep his Destroyers in the back line at the maximum range for his gauss cannons, and as close to a Resurrection Orb as he can to make sure they get back up. I can't really add much to what's already been said to take care of them. As mentioned, they're worthless in CC.

Immortals are a pain, Fists and Hammers may be PWs anyway but they don't ID the Immortals because of their Toughness 5. Best thing for it is a Vindicator pie plate. It's strong enough to ID them, plus since their squad sizes are typically on the smaller side, there's a good chance of annihilating the unit in one shot, denying a WBB, which is probably one of the few ways you'll be able to so considering that they're often in the Orb aura of a Lord.

Necron players get laughed at by other Necron players for taking Pariahs. If you do see them just shoot them to death. They're too slow, can't teleport, don't contribute to phase out, don't have WBB, they're expensive and just not durable enough to justify it all.

Monoliths are best left alone unless you're packing serious firepower.

Flayed Ones were made to take on units that aren't wearing power armor. Their special ability, while potentially frustrating, just isn't much of a threat against Ld 9 Marines. Power weapons and thunder hammers remove them with contemptuous ease.

On the whole Necron armies are very big, durable, powerful, but incredibly ponderous armies. Once a Necron army is forced to speed up and re-adapt quickly, forced to dance to a tune that it didn't set, they can fall like dominoes and phase out before you can say "Schwartzenegger." The watchword for your tactics should be aggression. Get in his face quickly and start mercilessly pummeling it. If you can wreck the Monolith, or if you can mangle him sufficiently before it comes in from reserves, you should be in good shape. If you don't have any Str 10 or a lot of Str 8 or 9 shots don't bother with it, focus on whittling down his numbers. Lords are always frustrating to kill. Especially if it has Phylactery, which will bring him back with WBB and give him all 3 wounds back. You're probably best served by using your Sergeant's power weapon, power fist, etc., at whatever the Lord is using as a retinue, and then after that's all dead focus all your attacks on the Lord. Getting in his face and hitting hard and fast is one of the easiest ways to win.

do you think stern guard are worth or is it useless ?

sternguard AP3 vengeance rounds will drop necrons like a bad habit.. i think the unit combo of epistolary with gate and avenger and ten basic sternguard with fist would rip through a necron army

Also, if your opponent takes a C'tan, then Sternguard Hellfire Rounds are one of the best ways to kill them.

Let me explain what living metal will do...

When rolling to pen you only ever get S + 1d6 (excluding some weird stuff like vindicare turbo pen shells)

You may roll 2d6 and pick the highest if a weapon allows! Oh and no extra rending dice :P

If a weapons strength is based off something else that is ok (so a powerfist is 2X the users S value), what you do not get is any bonuses to strength such as furious charge.

Normally however the S+1d6 rule for armour pen will keep you in a good place!

As for the pie template from the Monolith it is only AP1 under the central hole... the rest of the template is AP3... a small matter most of the time but with terminators or vehicles it could be important.

Try and get a copy of the necron codex (+FAQ) and read the wargear and special rules section... I can't count the number of necron players I've played against who don't fully understand the WBB rule and all the the other rules that interact with it.

Archived