Shooting at units in cover...

LPetersson

I've just had a game with an Eldar buddy and he had a squad of Harlequins in a forest.

Thet were slightly more than 2" into the forest, so he thought that I wasn't able to shoot them, but we couldn't find anything in the rule book about that.

Is that something from 4th edition that no longer exists?

In short, yes it is a memory from the previous editions where you could only see a short way into terrain.

Under the current rules, and with tlos there is no limit to how far you can see through scenery.

There is a rule regarding area terrain granting cover saves if you are shooting through more than 2" regardless of intervening terrain, but that's as close as it gets nowadays.

At least I think that's the case, if I'm wrong I would appreciate clarification.

Any unit may fire on any other unit it can actually trace a TLoS(True Line of Sight) to, even if that unit is in cover {BRB, Pg.16}. Any unit that is 50%+ in a piece of area terrain can claim to be "in cover" and claim a "cover save" {BRB,Pg.22}. Any unit which is in area terrain grants a cover save to it's target, even if it's out in the open, unless the firing unit is shooting through 2" or less of the terrain they occupy. That's as close as 5th ed gets to what you're remembering from the earlier rules.

Any unit may fire on any other unit it can actually trace a TLoS(True Line of Sight) to, even if that unit is in cover {BRB, Pg.16}. Any unit that is 50%+ in a piece of area terrain can claim to be "in cover" and claim a "cover save" {BRB,Pg.22}. Any unit which is in area terrain grants a cover save to it's target, even if it's out in the open, unless the firing unit is shooting through 2" or less of the terrain they occupy. That's as close as 5th ed gets to what you're remembering from the earlier rules.

Almost. A target standing in cover takes precidence over the ability to ignore 2 inches of cover you are standing in. If your squad is in area terain shooting at an enemy within 2" of them in the same area terrain, they still get a cover save. You only get to ignore those two inches when shooting out of cover, not when shooting into it.

Archived