Black Templar themed Space Wolves

marine77

I don't like your rune priest... I mean the model itself is fine and painted well... but some how it looks wrong... I mean he looks like some kind of shaman... and I don't see that as Black Templars or knights/Warriors theme... even if we ignore the we hate witches bit... I think I would have gone with some kind of warrior mage... maybe with robes being blow by the winds of magic as the power flows around him... or maybe some kind of Emperors Champion style guy with the psychic powers representing his holy blessings... or the favour of the god emperor or something... To be honest I'm not sure what I would do... he just seems to stand out of the army a bit... and not in a good way... although as I say he looks fine taking him by himself... maybe being photos and not reading your blog I've missed something that binds him to the rest of the army.

@Darkseer. Thanks for the comments. Yeah, I am a poor teacher IRL, so whatever makes my models more flexible makes me a happy gamer. With my current setup I can play these guys as Space Wolves (which they are tooled to do), Black Templars (which was the original intent some time ago), blood angels (which I have no interest in playing), or codex marines. I have enough extra models to create a totally separate Codex marine list and am making a 6 dread list at the moment.

@Hellios. Thanks for the comments as well. All I can say, it this is where a desire to play competitively violates fluff. My fluff reason for having a psycher in the army is that this is a penitence crusade and the castellan in charge is so short on recruits and battle strategy, he has had to adopt some of the strategies/tactics and personnel (via induction) of the world's population. This means including a psycher who he knows he will probably have to kill himself in the future.

really nice models indeed.

but i just dont get the whole SW dex....templar still have one of the most broken units in the game with terminators with furious charge and preferred enemy with lightning claws is NASTY and the best smoke launchers in the game. there a VERY tough dex still.

You have to understand, as fake as this may sound, I didn't switch from templars to wolves for competitive reasons. I really changed over for army design reasons. The templar FoC is very limited. That's not to say that you can't make good lists. I have quite a few good lists in mind, but they all look and feel similar. The SW codex has a ton of tempting choices, quite a few cool ways to run a list, and loads of characterful unit choices. It gives my imagination space to work. That is why I like it. I also love the fluff of these epic viking-like characters smashing face.

Now, all of that to say, SW are more competitive and can put down a really broken army with relatively little trouble. Sure, I admit that. I like that, but it wasn't my main reason for making the switch, just an extremely cool additional benefit!

• 3 months later...

I really love the vehicles. And I think the horse-mounted Templars are interesting...

But I can't shake the feeling something is off. I can't put my finger on it. But I think the Rune Priest is odd as it's "neither fish nor foul." Templar's don't use Psykers, and the SW-shaman feel is out of place with the medieval knight look of the Templars.

That aside, it's very well-painted and the conversions are nice.

Very nice models there and the painting really makes them shine.

Also the idea of cavalry knights is really fitting with the templar fluff. However, I really think you need to put in some time to make larger mounts. A normal horse with a marine on its back = dead horse. Its like when you see people stick marines on top of goblin wolves or wargs and it just looks plain silly. I dont mean to make you feel like Im slating your work, everything else looks great, but the knights just needs something more....

Woo those are sexah Razorbacks! The horses are little ... erm ... I think another choice of mount could be done but I have no easy solutions. Maybe find a bigger horse model? Like a Clydesdale or something with "oomph".

Otherwise, rock on man!

Archived