Ragnar + ?

Canis Majoris

Hi there

Just looking through the new book and since the last time i looked at a space wolves book it was 1st edition...i've noticed allot of changes.

but one thing inparticular that i'm wondering about is whats the best unit to put ragnar in? i was thinking a pack of wolf guard terminators armed for close combat. but this creats the problem of getting them to the battle as each one takes up 2 slots for transport that rules out drop pods with ragnar and a normal land raider the only other option i can see is the other landaiders with teh increased transport capacity.

This was a puzzle for me which i have yet to solve but maybe i'm missing something...

I'd really apretiate any advice on what to put him with and also the best way to field terminators with a hq ( logan or ragnar probably )

Baring in mind 75% of my battles are against space marines / Blood angels and 25% are against chaos space marines.

Thanks for your time.

I disagree. While fluff wise Ragnar runs with blood claws, in game terms I think it is not the optimal choice.

Blood claws get a base +2A on the carve they not only might gain very little from Ragnar's +1D3 but you could loose 1 if u roll a 1 or 2.

Instead get 10th wolf guard in PA, give them a PF or two, maybe a couple PWe and some storm shields. A wolf priest here could be awsome as well. Give them a Crusader, point it towards the enemy and watch them die.

This costs about 600 points (ragnar+wolf priest+wolf guards+land raider) but if your opponent doesn't focus A LOT into them, he's going down for good. 40-60 str5 i5 with rerolls to hit his from the WG? I'm in!

My 2 cents of an euro.

I disagree. While fluff wise Ragnar runs with blood claws, in game terms I think it is not the optimal choice.

Blood claws get a base +2A on the carve they not only might gain very little from Ragnar's +1D3 but you could loose 1 if u roll a 1 or 2.

According to the latest FAQ the blood claws get at least +2 attacks with ragnar.

Hi there

Just looking through the new book and since the last time i looked at a space wolves book it was 1st edition...i've noticed allot of changes.

but one thing inparticular that i'm wondering about is whats the best unit to put ragnar in? i was thinking a pack of wolf guard terminators armed for close combat. but this creats the problem of getting them to the battle as each one takes up 2 slots for transport that rules out drop pods with ragnar and a normal land raider the only other option i can see is the other landaiders with teh increased transport capacity.

This was a puzzle for me which i have yet to solve but maybe i'm missing something...

I'd really apretiate any advice on what to put him with and also the best way to field terminators with a hq ( logan or ragnar probably )

Baring in mind 75% of my battles are against space marines / Blood angels and 25% are against chaos space marines.

Thanks for your time.

Been stuck in the warp, Long Fang? ;)

Ragnar offers more of a buff for Grey Hunters, instead of Blood Claws.

If you didn't know, Greys are probably a point too cheap, and Claws are perhaps a point too expensive.

What's more is that Claws already have +2a on the charge. So Ragnar rolling a 1 or 2 on the d3 gives you nothing more, 66% doing nothing . For the Greys,

only 33% does nothing.

Then the Greys can have Mark of the Wulfen [good for killing] and Wolf standard [helping your guys hit more often and harder & re-rolling failed saves! WIN!] .

Wolf standard allows you to re-roll 1s, meaning Rag's d3 can get re-rolled.

In the Wolf forum, they are discussing WG packs at the moment.

I will say that Characters are rarely good value for points, but they are fun. So whilst including Rags is fair enough, putting a Wolf Priest with him is like "throwing good money after bad" [if you know what that saying means] in my opinion ;)

Hi there

Thanks for your time.

I play a Ragnar Blackmane Great Company, and try to use him in every game - it is his Company, afterall. Ragnar's unit enhancements are all based off of getting the charge, so you really need an Assault vehicle - leaving you with only the 3 Land Raider varients as options. You can put him in a Drop Pod or a Rhino, but with no guarantee of getting the charge I feel this is a huge waste of his potential.

This leaves us with 3 common options, any of which are just fine:

Ragnar + Mostly full Blood Claws + Wolf Guard Pack Leader in a Crusader

Ragnar + Mostly full Grey Hunters + Wolf Guard Pack Leader in a Redeemer/Phobos (or Crusader, for that matter)

Ragnar + Wolf Guard Pack (all TDA, all PA, or a mix of Armour types) in any type of Land Raider

In my games I have only tried the second option (the Grey Hunter option) to great effect, ripping up Blood Angels left and right. I just recently got my new plastic Wolf Guard Terminators painted, so am looking forward to using him with the third option. I will have Ragnar and one Wolf Guard in Power Armour and 4 in Terminator Armour in a Phobos. Upon Disembarkation my shooting will consist of 2x Combi-Plasmas (4 shots), a Heavy Flamer, a Combi-Melta, and Ragnar's Bolt Pistol. My close combat attacks will include a Thunder Hammer, Chain Fist, 2x Wolf Claws, and 2x Frost Weapons. Not bad at all for just 6 Marines whol will all attack first against the vast majority of opponents.

Valerian

Archived