Close Combat question

RastlinD

First off sorry, I have been out of the game for a while and I know I am mixing 4th edition and 5th edition here which is why I need your help. Recently in a game we had a large Multicombat where my opponent had a unit that was surrounded by a number of different units of mine. All of my units were striking at different initiatives and all of my units were in base to base with his units at the start of combat. Here is my question, I had a initiative 7 character go first and kill three of my opponents models, he removed those models from an area that removed one of my units from base to base. Now here is my question does that eliminate the unit who is no longer in base to base attacks? I know in 4th edition it did, but when reading the BBR it said models that were engaged was worked out at the start of combat and could not change. As the combat went on he pulled more and more models to where by the end all he had left was his his brood lord which was not in base to base with any of my remaining INT 5 guys. We used that quote from the BBR which said that engaged models were worked out at the start of combat and could not change but were we right? Should have my INT 5 guys who were no longer in base to base with any of his remaining squad still get to attack because at the start of combat they were? Or do I lose my attacks because of smart removal of models by my opponent. Thanks for you help. Also if you could give me the page number in the BBR where this rule is stated that would be great.

It's on page 35 of the BRB, the last paragraph of "Who Can Fight?". And you were right, the passage says exactly what you thought it would say.

"Working out which models are engaged in combat is done at teh start of the fight, and will not change until its end, but casualties may make it difficult to remember as the fight continues, especially in a large combat. To make the distinction clear, you may find it useful to turn engaged models so that they are facing away from their opponents. This will help you to remember once the dice start rolling."

And teh paragraph before that explains "All engaged models will fight in this turn's Assault phase with their full number of Attacks and use any special close combat attack they have."

So, yes, you check who is in contact and can make attacks at the beginning of teh combat, and even if their enemies are removed before they get to strike, they can still make their attacks.

By the way, I think merely turning around the models who are casualties might be confusing, depending on the models. You can usually get by with just removing them but remembering where there used to be a model.

By the way, I think merely turning around the models who are casualties might be confusing, depending on the models. You can usually get by with just removing them but remembering where there used to be a model.

I think in typical fights, the easiest way is to lay down or turn around models that can't fight. Most of the time most of all units are engaged, it's just a couple of guys at the back who can't fight, and it's easier to remember '3 guys can't attack' than to sort out where every casualty was.

Archived