Plasma Cannon and Gets Hot!

rhunicus

I did a search and couldn't find the answer to this so..

Since a plasma cannon has the rule of gets hot, but you do not need to roll to hit with it (its a blast weapon), do you need to roll a d6 for it?

I have been rolling a d6 before I take the shot just to see if a roll a 1, and then proceed to roll the scatter dice if its not a 1...have I been doing it right?

I have been rolling a d6 before I take the shot just to see if a roll a 1, and then proceed to roll the scatter dice if its not a 1...have I been doing it right?

That's more or less how it is described on page 31 of the BRB under "Gets Hot! and blast weapons".

You are improving your odds to score a non-scattering hit that way. If one of the misses is an overheat, then not rolling an overheat leaves 60% chance to roll a miss and 40" chance to roll a hit, while when you roll a d6 beforehand and are not rolling an overheat you then have a 33% chance to roll a hit and a 66" chance to roll a miss.

You are improving your odds to score a non-scattering hit that way. If one of the misses is an overheat, then not rolling an overheat leaves 60% chance to roll a miss and 40" chance to roll a hit, while when you roll a d6 beforehand and are not rolling an overheat you then have a 33% chance to roll a hit and a 66" chance to roll a miss.

Sorry, I should have been more clear - I still re-roll the scatter die after not rolling an overheat, to see if it hits or misses. It's just one less die per shot we need to worry about bouncing off the table. Although, would the 6.7% difference really matter in a game based on d6s?

If that is only your prelimirary roll to see whether it overheats or not, and then you roll for scatter (using the "overheat" side as another "miss") then everything works out fine.

6% difference on a roll to hit with a single scatter is not a lot (especially since you might still hit spot on by rolling 4 or less on the distance), but it is a difference. It means there is a 6% chance that you hit where otherwise the shot would have scattered a random distance. Statistically it might happen one out of 16 times, so if you fire 16 blast weapons in a single game you already have one discrepancy per game.

It is nothing to get worked up about, and players can agree to let it slide for the sake of convenience or custom, but I wanted to point it out nonethe less, just so you are aware.

From an official rules perspective, you roll a d6 and - if it's not a 1 - the shot proceeds. If it is a 1, Gets Hot! takes place on the model in question. You are on the money. =)

I'm with Legatus with regards to the house rule; it's a slight advantage but harmless. Important to point out that it's a house rule though, for the sake of those who are new here and perhaps gearing up for Ard Boyz-level tournament rules. =)

Archived