Wound Allocation

Glitch85

Hey all back playing 40k after a long time off!

Just trying to get my head around wound allocation in complex units

Say I have 10 space marines, 1 missile launcher, 1 flamer, 8 boltguns. That squad takes for instance 5 wounds, do I have to put 2 of the 5 wounds on the missile and flamer or can I put all 5 on my boltguns?

Also another quick question, when I am close combat with my mates ork boyz horde he takes the amount of models wounded from the back off the horde, instead of taking away the models im fighting is this right???

First question: no, you choose who takes the wounds. Only if you take more than 8 wounds (for 8 boltgun armed marines) do you need to put one on the missile launcher or flamer.

Second question: yes, he can choose who takes the wounds. This means he is allowed to remove boyz from the back that would not have fought in the combat anyway.

Thanks, just a quick question again about my 2nd one. He usually runs a nob with a powerfist with his boyz, if im in base contact with that at the front and wound it and he fails saving throw does he have to take that model away?

This comes up enouph on this forum I made a list

Frosty's Wound Allocation Order of Operations

1. Enemy Rolls to hit

2. Enemy Rolls to wound (Uses Majority toughness)

3. Apply one wound to each MODEL untill each model has one wound, Then Apply a second, third, and so on untill there are no more wounds to allocate.

4. Seperate wounded models into different identical groups based on wargear and profile (so all marines with just a bolter in one group, ones with a boltpistal/ccw in another, plasmaguns in another, sergents in another and so on)

5. Roll armor saves for each GROUP

6. Within each group apply wounds in such a way to remove the maximum amount of models/wounds posible (for example intant death goes on the ones with the most wounds remaing), extra wounds do NOT carry over into other groups, they are lost

To get your head around the wound allocation thing, here's how I explain it to my son's mates.

You have a Marine Devastator squad with 5 rapid firing bolters and Sgt bolt pistol, 2 Heavy bolters and 2 Plasma cannons, shooting at a marine squad, who have already lost 5 regular guys, so are down to Sgt, Flamer, Plasma, 2 more guys, with an attached Captain with Artificer armour (2+ save).

1) Work out all the shots that your unit will make from the different weapons:

5x2 BG, 1 BP (ie 11 bolt shots); 6x HBr, 2x small blast plasma

2) Roll and count up the resulting hits, For example

7 Bolts, 4 Heavy bolts, 8 Plasma.

3) Roll and count up the wounds, for example

4 Bolts, 3 Heavy bolts, 6 Plasma. Pick up coloured dice for each, eg

4 Black dice for bolts, 3 red dice for heavy bolts, 6 blue dice for plasma.

4) Your opponent now has to share 13 dice between his 6 men. Each must have 2, apart from unlucky Jim who gets a third.

**This is the key bit**

He can put ANY dice on ANY guy.

Thus, the sensible thing is to start with the unsaveable plasma wounds, so

i) put 3 blue dice next to Unlucky Jim.

ii) Next, put another 2 blue dice on the other regular guy.

iii) Captain gets an invulnerable save, so put the last blue plasma on him, plus a red one.

iv) Sgt gets the other 2 red dice,

v)Flamer and Plasma get 2 black dice each.

5) Now your opponent rolls each guy's dice separately.

i) Plasma ignores Jim's armour, so he's dead anyway.

ii) Same as Jim.

iii) Captain rolls his dice, he needs 4+ invulnerable on the blue dice, and 2+ armour on the red one.

iiiv) Everyone else can roll 2 dice, only dying if they fail the 3+ armour save.

The point is, you can pile all the unsaveable wounds up as much as possible. Don't make the novice mistake of doing one type of gun, letting him roll his saves, then the next type, and so on.

Bear in mind, though that you do resolve all of firing unit A's wounds and saves before your unit B starts shooting.

Hope this helps!

(Frosty beat me to it, and is all true: If my example had 2 identical guys rolling 2 reds each, you can roll as four)

Hang on, Frosty, is my last addendum right?

If two regular guys receive bolter wounds, and I roll them together, and I fail 2, this would meaning taking both of them off; if however I had rolled them separately, those 2 fails might have happened on the same guy (50:50 chance), so there IS a difference between rolling them separately or bunched.

Discuss?!

Discuss?!

I'm not 100% sure this is your question, but it's common enough that I'll address it anyway:

If your unit is composed only of three identical marines with boltgun and you have four armor saves to take for them, you roll all four saves (as a batch). If you fail three or four saves, you lose all of the marines.

The following is INCORRECT:

- roll two saves for one guy - he fails them both, and he dies.

- roll one save each for the next two guys - they both pass and stay alive.

You only roll separately for the case where marines have different loadouts/stat-lines.

Hope that's clear. =)

Archived