Knights of Blood inspired Terminator Sergeant

Khepera

First off, well done for your 1st mini! ;)

Good things:

- Posed well, with a nice scheme

- Looks like all colors are where they are supposed to be, no running or overlap

-Liking the skin tone

Thing to improve/Suggestions:

- Use washes! these alone will improve a mini 100%, especially the metal bits. I like Badab black and Devlan Mudd

-Thin those paints. The red looks good, but the black looks thick, though it may be the picture.

-Highlight. The colors all look one note. edge highlighting is the easiest way to start

- The details are what make these minis great. for my personal preference, I would have done more with his shield color wise.

All in all a fine start. Much better looking than my 1st. Keep on with it1

CC

Firstly, congratulations on finishing your first mini. I can 100% assure you that it is about 1000% better than my first monstrosity!

You've done a great job of keeping the mini tidy which is half the battle.

As per the suggestions below, you need to experiment with washes to help add depth to the metal and textured sections. I would suggest Devlan Mud for the Brown/Gold areas and Badab Black for the Metallics.

Your next step would be to build up highlights on the black as it looks a bit flat at the moment, I would suggest using something like Codex Grey and just catching the top edges of the armour plates.

All told very impressive though! One question, is there a reason behind the different coloured greaves?

Thanks for all the kind words! Helps me keep motivated as I aim to improve.

@The Crimson Cartel: Thanks for the critique. I never really understood what people said by the paint being to thick, but seeing it through the pictures I can definitely noticed. I've tried a bit of washing here and there, but it seems I use either to much or too little. Got a bit more practice to do with it, it seems.

@WingOfTheFalcon: The miss matching greaves is really just a personal Aesthetic decision. I wanted to break up the black, and I've always liked the miss match colour look.

Once I get my camera repaired, I'm definitely going to be starting a WIP. Again, thanks for all the C&C!

Thanks for all the kind words! Helps me keep motivated as I aim to improve.

@The Crimson Cartel: Thanks for the critique. I never really understood what people said by the paint being to thick, but seeing it through the pictures I can definitely noticed. I've tried a bit of washing here and there, but it seems I use either to much or too little. Got a bit more practice to do with it, it seems.

@WingOfTheFalcon: The miss matching greaves is really just a personal Aesthetic decision. I wanted to break up the black, and I've always liked the miss match colour look.

Once I get my camera repaired, I'm definitely going to be starting a WIP. Again, thanks for all the C&C!

No problem. It looks like you may have washed the thunderhammer, but missed some metallics on his greaves and cod piece. Badab looks great on silver metallics, and really helps make things like those soft armor joints pop. And layering helps. Let a coat dry, then go over again just like with paints. Then you can bring highlights back up with brighter metallics. Grypnhonne sepia works great on skin tones as well. Keep it up. We ALL have practice to do. Cheers

-CC

Archived