Do you use extra armor?

minigun762

I'll come right now and say that I haven't used extra armor on anything since the price tripled and so far it seems to be working. The trend of vehicle saturation lends itself to more, cheaper, disposable vehicles and a 15 point upgrade on each one adds up fast.

That being said, I'm reevaluating it in light of the increase in dedicated transport busters like Autocannons and Multi-Lasers as a stopped transport ends up being a big disadvantage.

So I'm checking the rest of the player base to see what the norm is and why.

I used to take it all the time as I hated getting stunned. However, once you consider the odds of getting stunned it is really just not worth 15 points on every vehicle (maybe on like a land raider or something, otherwise not so much)

Lets just look at say a Multi-laser shooting at a Rhino.

That is 3 shots hitting 50% (1.5 hits), needs a 5 to glance, 6 to pen (33% damage), and (17% stunned). So with that there is about an 8.4% chance of getting stunned by a multi-laser. So that gun shooting at your Rhino every turn would average a stunned result every 10 or 11 time sit shoots.

I only take Extra Armor upgrades on AV12 units, and only when they are required to move. This means I only take it on Dreads, and Vindicators. Once I field Land Raiders, I'll likely take the EA on Crusaders or Redeemers, but not Phobos/Godhammers.

Dreads MUST be able to move each turn. A sitting Dread is a neutered Dread. If they're not mobile and changing position or angle every turn, or gaining ground, they're toast or easily avoided.

I don't bother with Rhinos, because the majority of anti-tank fire coming at them is going to kill them outright anyways. Also, I rarely play agrressively with my embarked Tac squads in Rhinos, because I have bikers as troops for that.

ShinyRhino and I think alike.

- I always take EA on Dreadnoughts.

- I always take EA on LRs so they can still move and dump their payload out.

- I sometimes take EA on Vindicators.

- I take EA on nothing else.

I put it on dreads and land raiders

Ven dread with extra armour is VERY difficult to stop. Land raiders because you can still move max and fire a weapon, then drop off the inside unit onto the thing brave stupid enough to attack it.

ShinyRhino and I think alike.

- I always take EA on Dreadnoughts.

- I always take EA on LRs so they can still move and dump their payload out.

- I sometimes take EA on Vindicators.

- I take EA on nothing else.

These rules are good to live by (except I never take EA on Vindicators either). As a BA player, EA goes on Dreads, Raiders or Storm Ravens. That's about it. As a Chaos player, EA goes on nothing (as I don't currently use dreads or raiders in chaos)

Every one of my rhinos gets extra armor the second it goes on my list.

Dropping a stunned result to a shaken is critical. If you aren't moving your guys around in their transports, then why buy them?

Dropping a stunned result to a shaken is critical. If you aren't moving your guys around in their transports, then why buy them?

This, and one other thing. That last-turn sprint by a stunned Rhino full of Tacticals to claim an objective wins games.

The thinking here, primarily, is that odds are very high that your Rhino will not be Stunned when it gets hit. It's likely going to be a Pen (anti tank weapons have little trouble with AV11) and a Stunned result there is a 1 out of 6. Odds are much higher that it will no longer be able to move period: Immobilized, Wrecked, or Boomed. Those 15 points could have proven more valuable elsewhere than a small chance of "being able to move when you otherwise would not be."

Rhino survival is not very good; considering that EA costs roughly half as much as the Rhino itself, it's kind of a waste of points.

How many Rhinos are you fielding in a typical game? Add up those EA points and see what else you could do...more heavy weapons? A few more marine models? A Typhoon? :D

The thinking here, primarily, is that odds are very high that your Rhino will not be Stunned when it gets hit. It's likely going to be a Pen (anti tank weapons have little trouble with AV11) and a Stunned result there is a 1 out of 6. Odds are much higher that it will no longer be able to move period: Immobilized, Wrecked, or Boomed. Those 15 points could have proven more valuable elsewhere than a small chance of "being able to move when you otherwise would not be."

Rhino survival is not very good; considering that EA costs roughly half as much as the Rhino itself, it's kind of a waste of points.

How many Rhinos are you fielding in a typical game? Add up those EA points and see what else you could do...more heavy weapons? A few more marine models? A Typhoon? ^_^

Thade's mostly got it right.

Extra armor protects your big investments that must reach the enemy ASAP.

Rhinos are good. They provide cheap mobility and survivability. They're also the reason that Tactical Squads in Codex: Space Marines are the best unit in the game at holding midfield. For a fairly low price, you get a multi-melta pillbox that creates a rather sizeable "DON'T DRIVE HERE" bubble. Neither Space Wolves nor Blood Angels do this as well as Codex: Space Marines.

Rhinos, however, don't like upgrades. Their upgrades are extremely expensive, and do little to really strengthen their role. Extra armor is included here. You want them cheap and plentiful. They live or die based on how well you can saturate enemy anti-armor firepower. So rather than improving one Rhino, buy another one. They're that cheap*.

(Points-wise anyway. Thank goodness I found a cheaper way to get Rhinos for my Marines :P).

Rhinos are good. They provide cheap mobility and survivability. They're also the reason that Tactical Squads in Codex: Space Marines are the best unit in the game at holding midfield. For a fairly low price, you get a multi-melta pillbox that creates a rather sizeable "DON'T DRIVE HERE" bubble. Neither Space Wolves nor Blood Angels do this as well as Codex: Space Marines.

I dunno I would think (and I don't have the codex with me...) that long fangs could make a better multi-melta pill box... although obviously they don't have the numbers and the bolters for when the transport gets destroyed.

However on topic I put EA on things I want to move... If I have lots of rhinos I might not bother... sometimes I will if I'm running very few rhinos... for example on of my 1,500pts lists has a number of vehicles but only one rhino... so I give it extra armour just to help me get a bit further if I can before it goes boom.

For me, if you're not taking Extra Armor on every vehicle, you're doing it wrong.

The second I suffer a stunned result or shaken(I know it doesn't count), I can still have another turn of survivability and potentially drive someone closer or drive something away. I honestly can't picture myself not taking Extra Armor unless Chronus is already in the vehicle.

Yes I alway use Extra Armour, don't care about the points cost.

My reason for this.

Dreadnought, bare in mind if we are stunned (No2 on tank damnge??) say your battle a unit with Grenades. Instead of hitting you on 6's, they will be hitting you on Ws, improve there odds on damnge you. So I rather they be hitting me on 6's, rather than hitting me on my WS, more so if there better than me WS wise (Eldar, Dark Eldar as a few exsample)

While tanks, end of the day I want to keep on the move in order to contest a object or if it transport like a Rhino or Razorback, I'd like my units to be able to grab any last min object. Last thing I want is my tank to be glance, then not being able to move & fire. Like wise I really like my assaults, so again I like to be on the move.

On the other side, I'd also like the move away from threats, say I had a predators, I'd want to move away before somthing could assault me if I can help it.

It also why I have dozer blade as well due to not wanting any immobile on the last turn when I got object grabing. All about trying to not have any last min mess up's. Know my luck as well.

But all about being mobile & trying to grab object last min or contesting. Like wise I like model the extra armour from plasticard.

I'll keep useing them, as said I really do not care if they went up in points, everthing has change in regard to points cost in some small way. End of the day it all about what work for you & your army, what each unit role is in the overall army & how they will help support each other as well. So you will never see me dropping extra armour.

IP

Wow, I'm surprised to see so many in favor of extra armor. I NEVER take it... ever... on anything.

It might be worth it at 5 points, but even then I would only look for it when I had nothing else to spend points on, but as it is it is way overpriced. If I'm trying to waste points I would take hunter killer missiles and 5 points instead. The only place I can see it being very useful at all is on a land raider that absolutely has to get to the enemy deplyment zone on turn 2. However, there just isn't that much urgency to a tactical squad in a rhino, or a support dread. Too many points for not that much benefit... just not worth it to me.

-Myst

Archived