Back in the game with Black Templars!

Argyle

Been out of the game since 2008. Was a Black Templar player then and getting back into it with Templars again. What can I say? I love Templars =). I'm into this hobby far more for the artistic side of it than the playing side so keep that in mind if some things I create are abit unfluffy or go against standard wargear. Also, although I've been out of the hobby for over 2 years, I've never stopped following this board. Which is one of the biggest reasons I'm getting back into it. So much inspiration to be found here.

Looking for some feed back/criticism/advice here for sure!

Where better to start than with the Emp's Champ... Keep in mind also, arms are only tacked in place with some putty, they are not necescarily final positions. Big thanks goese to Doghouse for his gotchic true scale marines!!

gallery_31762_5407_87289.jpg

Its not very clear and I had a hard time getting a close up of just his face, but the helmet is my version of the marine on pg 12 of the Templar Dex. The one with the cross on his helmet. Their is a chainmail hood under the robe hood to give it a more...knightly?....feel.

gallery_31762_5407_21857.jpg

I wanted an excuse to make a flaming sword, but I wanted a legitimet reason to do it, thus the flamer hilt. Their are two small holes drilled in the underside of the cross piece which I will be placing guitar string(tubing) to line up with the barrels and run to a flamer tank on his belt. I am still a bit iffy on the quality of the flame sculpt...but I got to frustrated doing it (around attempt number 9) that I just said enough is enough. Hopefully I can bring it to life with paint.

gallery_31762_5407_20140.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_40201.jpg

He will have a long flowing cloak 'blowing in the wind' but I've only just begun sculpting it.

Second model on the go right now. My chappy in TDA. It was supposed to be just a pretty plain and simple conversion using mostly existing plastic bits but the greenstuff fever got the better of me and he turned into a monster. I decided I was not going to give him the typical skull helmet and stole the head off an old model which was done up to look like a skull in face paint. most of the paint has been scratched away for some of the mod's I did to it for this model but will be painted again in the likeness of a skull.

gallery_31762_5407_25110.jpg

This guy is .... pretty big? His head might seem a bit on the small side, but I wanted the TDA to be massive the way I've always envisioned it, rather than just scarecely bigger than the standard PA. May have over done it I fear =(.

gallery_31762_5407_25377.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_58995.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_12470.jpg

Here's a comparison shot to show the size of the EC and Chap. (ignore the tilt of the chaps head here heh, it fell over when I bumped him with the model beside him.)

gallery_31762_5407_20893.jpg

I apologize for the number of pics and the less than stellar quality. I'm not an incredible photographer for sure. Updates to come! Although between a very demanding job and family life they may be a bit slower than most. Feed back appreciated.

(Edit) Anyone wondering what the two plastic rods sticking out of the chap's back are, they will be for a pair of banners yet to be sculpted.

Oh how I wish my EC could legitimately have a flaming sword on the tabletop. Because that looks freaking amazing. Though my GS skills suck, so my flaming sword would end up looking more like diarrhea on a stick <.<

I approve this thread.

My one dislike is the chaplain's head, though since you said you'll be repainting it, and the paint is what made it previously, I'll wait and give you the benefit of the doubt on that one. He looks awesome otherwise =D

My one dislike is the chaplain's head, though since you said you'll be repainting it, and the paint is what made it previously, I'll wait and give you the benefit of the doubt on that one. He looks awesome otherwise =D

Appreciate the comments =). I am definately sketchy at best about how the head will turn out. The picture is definately not very flattering either, he's a bit reminiscent of Frankenstein. The model I had it on originally was a heavy flamer termy. He had a sculpted bandana and a cigar in his mouth. The face was then done in black and white like a face painted skull. Personally I thought it looked pretty good, although I have no pics of it any longer. I took off the bandan and sculpted a cyber-ear piece, some tubes on the side/back of his head and the two metal studs on his forehead. I'm hoping the painted product is what I envisioned...if not I'll make up some form of helmet.

The only thing cooler than a Templar is a well modeled Templar...and the only thing cooler than that is a well modeled and well painted Templar :)

You sir, are well on your way to achieving that highest calling of coolness. :P

KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWL!

The flaming sword is brilliant. In my opinion you never need an excuse for flaming swords, they sorta justify themselves but the flamer attachment is so cool that I really really really wanna use it meselfsies. Can I pweez? Black Templars are wicked cool and knightly and you've really pulled that off here, I can't wait to see more!

Comments and encouragement are very much appreciated, thank you =).

Very very nice so far. I cant wait to see more. The back of the chaplains armour is incredible, what is that from?

That sir, is from a vent bit on a Baneblade. Their were two just like it side by side on a rectangular panel, I cut it out and filed the back down.

KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWL!

The flaming sword is brilliant. In my opinion you never need an excuse for flaming swords, they sorta justify themselves but the flamer attachment is so cool that I really really really wanna use it meselfsies. Can I pweez? Black Templars are wicked cool and knightly and you've really pulled that off here, I can't wait to see more!

You're more than welcome to take and use anything. It's an honor if anything I've created ends up used by someone else, just be sure to post pics later! =)

Well, I'm just coming off the tail end of an 18 hour shift and I'm going to bed. Good news though, I don't work tomorrow so you can most definately expect updates and better quality photos!! I figured out what macro mode was hah and followed the B&C photo tut and made myself a little aluminum foil lined shoe box with white back ground.

Been super busy with work lately, but I finally managed to put together something worth an update post I think. I've just about got the EC's modelling completed. I need to clean up the mess I made with the flamer bit on the sword via some greenstuff, and finish modelling the cloak over the left shoulder and then tack on a heraldry shield to hold the cloak in place. Going to start painting now and model that as I get to it. Just a bit of base coating done right now. C&C would be most appreciated.

gallery_31762_5407_47925.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_53982.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_46854.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_58182.jpg

Like I said, I'm pretty well ready to paint and I'm actually about to start that right now, before I get to far underway with that though wanted to post these final WIP shots and see if their was anything else I should adjust/fix/add/remove, other than the messy flamer/sword handle bit and the last bit of cloak on the left shoulder.

I really like your EC. Can you tell me what bits you used for his left (sword) arm?

The blade was made from pasticard, the cross piece was the icons on two baner tops shaved on opposite sides and glued back to back, and then a flamer which I butchered and stuck back together, and the hand and handle came from a dark angels power sword. The cables are the ever-useful guitar string. =)

Preview of next project:

Although a very long ways from finishing my EC and even further on the chaplain...not to mention I started piecing some bits together for a marshal hah... I dusted off the terminators I was working on several years ago. I had a mission to make each one very distinct and very ornate. I pictured the knights of the round table kind of thing. Everyone would stand out from the other. Here they are in the various stages I left them off in. I intend to get this going full force by next week.

The Marshal's Household.

gallery_31762_5407_87417.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_189873.jpg

gallery_31762_5407_313932.jpg

When it comes to this hobby, you could say I have ADD. I get way to many ideas going on at once and I have to see them all started at the same time, which results in the above. A bunch of half completed models with noting more than some base coating here and there, but this time I am going to complete!!

Yes! lol I've been waiting for an update on this one ;) Looks great the new stuff, the only thing I might comment on is the Emperor's Champion's cloak, it looks a bit stretched around his shoulder but at the same time it doesn't seem to reach far enough around to the front, if that makes sense. Like on the GW Sword Brethren models the cloak comes all the way around to the front of their left pauldron, but that might be a personal taste issue. The shield looks AWESOME though! And your GS skills are mad impressive.

But yeah, I very much have that problem myself, I start projects left and right without ever being able to finish a whole squad <_<

I'm looking forward to seeing moar! Maybe even some painted models?

Like on the GW Sword Brethren models the cloak comes all the way around to the front of their left pauldron, but that might be a personal taste issue.

Really appreciate the feedback guys. As far as the cloak over the left shoulder, I have good news for you Goose! It will in fact wrap all the way around and be 'pinned' in place with a small heraldric shield on the front. I stopped the sculpting at the back like that because it made removal of the cloak easier. The cloak is in fact removeable right now.

As far as painted models go, sad to say it but when I got out of the game I sold the entire painted force that I had. What I kept was all unassembled/half assembled/half basecoated. Nothing completed unfortunately. However, I put in about 3 hours of paint time last night and I'm up bright and early this morning to do the same so I'll have a nearly completed EC by some point today. I'll put it up later on.

Another small update. Maybe I shouldn't make them when the progress is little, but it's keeping me motivated heh.

gallery_31762_5407_63193.jpggallery_31762_5407_24205.jpg

My painting was never good, but wow it seems to have become even worse the two years I was out of the hobby =(. Hafta shake some rust off.

Archived