I said I'd be back

Sevano Tomasin

In a topic on a page far far away, many, many months ago, Sevano Tomasin attempted building true-scale marines.

The project was a complete failure, and I advise anyone wishing to keep their sanity to avoid searching for it.

I'd left the wargaming hobby for a few months after a family crisis, but I returned recently. I was going to try and continue my Iron Hands, but whilst looking on google, I found Lamenter's blog. Again. And saw his true-scale marines, and was impressed. I then saw his techmarines, and tutorials, I thought I'd have a go (again). I would just like to thank Doghouse & Lamenter - your tutorials are brilliant, and Lamenter, your designs for techmarines are wonderful - thanks :D

I was also trying to start an army based on Ciaphas Cain, and his adventures with the Reclaimers chapter. Well, with the release of his latest book (The Emperor's finest) the chapter is actually detailed (without Wombles references) - so, I thought I'd combine the two ideas into one.

A small true-scale marines force, of the Reclaimers space marines. Starting with Captain Gries and Techmarine Drumon.

Here is my work so far

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/Hubert066/P1011362.jpg

Drumon on his own - I'm not completely happy with the 'harness' - I might drop the flamer and plasma cutter, and keep it as just a single arm. Suggestions?

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/Hubert066/P1011366.jpg

Thanks for looking, and Q&C are more than welcome :)

S.T

Thanks Natanael ;)

I'm not too keen on the harness for a few reasons, which is why I would like to know what others think of it - I think it just looks a bit too clustered and busy, and in the book (so far) the character is only mentioned as having the single arm.

I know the GS on the legs and bodywork of all 3 looks rough...well, thats because it is :o . In my defence, the camera flash does not help that much.

Cheers,

S.T

I suppose you have a point. However, in the short extract of the book avaliable, he isn't mentioned much, so I suppose there's room for experimenting and 'artistic' desgin ^_^

This is a basic version colour scheme I'm thinking of running for the marines and captain (taken from the front cover of the book, and the details in the extract) which is described as being an off white colour with yellow gauntlets (the blue trim comes from the front cover)

spacemarine.jpg

Before the book release, after talking to one of the staff at GW Edinburgh, I was thinking of cherry red with black, and white trims, but with the book actually describing them, I think I run with this scheme.

For the techmarine, I'm thinking :

spacemarine.jpg

But, I'm not sure how well that would work.

Any suggestions?

Cheers again,

S.T

S.T. the colour scheme looks good but will be tricky to paint ,off-white can be nasty.Is the blue trim the company colours.The techmarine looks good also but reminded me a bit of an apothicary,with a servo arm Im sure it wont be a problem and my eyesight is not what it was.Good luck with this it,s a big effort.

I would just like to thank Doghouse & Lamenter - your tutorials are brilliant, and Lamenter, your designs for techmarines are wonderful - thanks :P

You're most welcome :(

From a visual standpoint at least I think the techmarine would look best with a single servo arm rather than servo harness. I find all harnesses, scratchbuilt or otherwise, rather undynamic. You end up with a model that is just a mass of limbs and a single well posed servo arm looks far more appealing. If you do that I suggest mounting it on the opposite side of the thunder wrench (nice design :o) so the model has a sense of balance to it.

Like OXIDE pointed out the techamrine colour scheme is kinda reminiscent of an apothecary so I'd suggest having at least half the armour painted red. Not a big deal though as the models is obviously a techmarine.

Don't worry about rough looking GS, with time it'll get better, it's all about practise.

Thank you OXIDE and Lamenter :lol:

OXIDE, I don't know whether the blue is company colours or not - there is only one colour image avaliable, and the marine next to Ciaphas is the Captain.

The off-white colour is indeed a tad annoying - the two attempts I've had so far have different results - one looks like a bright bleached bone colour, the other looks like, well white armour that hasn't seen the astartes equivilent of a washing machine for a long time.

I understand the comments about the harness Lamenter - they are the one part of a techmarine that, whilst I like, I just find too...unbelievable? (Yes, I do know what game this is...)

Lamenter, I will not lie, the thunder wrench was... erm...'inspired' by your own. I really liked the idea and design. Mechanic - axe/wrench...obviously axes are perfect for fixing things :(

As for the techmarine colour scheme, red chest, red arms, red upper-legs? (The backpack is going to be part red, part metalic and part white)

Cheers again for the comments guy.

I've started painting the captain model, I'll post him ASAP.

:D

Lamenter, I will not lie, the thunder wrench was... erm...'inspired' by your own. I really liked the idea and design. Mechanic - axe/wrench...obviously axes are perfect for fixing things :(

I know, I was attempting something close to modesty :lol:

I realised, I was just trying to give you more praise :P

How about this for Techmarine Drumon?

**edit...it would be nice if it worked..

spacemarine.jpg

***Edit - gah! After all the hassle of trying to get the image to show, and I posted the wrong version... The tighs are meant to be white-ish, the lower legs red. :lol:

Ok then, thankyou OXIDE and Lamenter.

However, I've already painted the (front) of the lower legs red already (the back are going to be augmetics, so shiny metal). The upper legs are going to be off white (which has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that they're very fiddly and difficult to get to :P )

I'll see how it goes (and post a photo once the camera works) and see how you/we feel about the scheme.

Cheers again.

Archived