Scenic bases

Eenami5

Where in the rulebook does it state that you must have your opponent's permission to use a model with a scenic or larger than normal base?

Also, how would this rule come into play with models on smaller than normal bases? I.e. I have a lot of old style Terminators that went on a regular size Space Marine base, and I notice the new ones (new is a relative term, it's been about 8 years since I played regularly) have larger bases.

Page 3:

As mounting your models on different-sized bases might affect the way they interact with the rules, make sure before the game that your opponent does not mind this.

If the model came with a base, then that's the normal base for that model regardless of what size the current same unit type comes with.

I have a bunch of old type termies as well, and according to that rule they should stay on the 25mm bases unless my opponent is ok with me putting them on the current size TDA bases...

I have a bunch of old type termies as well, and according to that rule they should stay on the 25mm bases unless my opponent is ok with me putting them on the current size TDA bases...

This is correct, but many players will expect you to field models using the same size bases as those provided most recently. I have witnessed a player become upset when his opponent used 25mm based Terminators to Deep Strike because it is advantageous to the DSing player, even though according to the rules it is perfectly legal.

A lot of rules in this edition focus on consent and avoiding conflict (other than the conflict of armies slaughtering each other, of course!), and if you are going to be playing in public and not in a friend's basement I suggest having a WYSIWYG stand-in on a properly sized base in case your opponent does not consent to your use of the up-sized base. If that happens, "Well I guess you're going to have to stare at my poorly-painted Master of the Ravenwing who isn't doing a backflip in his monster truck," is the kind of response I would give. ;)

This is correct, but many players will expect you to field models using the same size bases as those provided most recently. I have witnessed a player become upset when his opponent used 25mm based Terminators to Deep Strike because it is advantageous to the DSing player, even though according to the rules it is perfectly legal.

These players need to get a life.

However, Danvk and others are right- if you put a model on a base other than the one it was origionally sold with, your opponent has the right to ask you to plave another model on the field as a marker for it instead, using the proper base size and general size.

So, make sure you have a tac marine with a different paint job- like your test run for the paint scheme or something- on hand if your in a more competitive area.

Most places wont care if you took the time to make the mini look awesome, theyll just be happy you put in the effort.

Archived