Deep Striking and Chaos Icons

farseerixirvost

Can you pre-measure the placement of the first model deep striking using a Chaos Icon? Me and my friends have always done this, but the other day I was told by someone I had not played before that I was not allowed to pre-measure. I had to place, then measure, and then scatter (placed outside 6") or not (placed inside 6") as appropriate.

The only time/place it's typically not allowed is in the Midwest in tournaments using the INAT FAQ, so typically Adepticon or any AWC events. Personally, I'd always premeasure it too. Between your friends it's alright, do what you want.

If you want to try and be consistent for other players out there though, here's what you do. For Chaos Space Marines, terminators and obliterators you shouldn't premeasure because they don't have to arrive within 6" of the icon; it's a choice. Guesstimate it and hope for the best. For daemons however, you absolutely must premeasure and there are no two ways about it. They can only arrive within 6" of an icon; if you don't premeasure and then guess wrong then what? Do they suffer a Mishap because they cannot arrive outside of 6" and then it's Impassable Terrain for them? Do you move them back within the 6" bubble in the same manner as the drop pod mechanism, thereby ensuring you'll always get the farthest distance possible even without premeasuring? Both of these 'solutions' are wrong or against rules (or just plain munchkinny) and cannot be used. Thus, for daemons you are allowed to premeasure.

For Chaos Daemons however, they follow the normal rules and so you would not get to premeasure the distance for any unit.

Since the rules for Chaos Icons and Teleport Homers state that the units "choose to deep strike within 6" of the Icon/Homer" I would read that as being allowed to deliberately place deep striking models within 6" of the Icon or Homer, i.e. being allowed to pre-measure and then placing them within range.

Since the rules for Chaos Icons and Teleport Homers state that the units "choose to deep strike within 6" of the Icon/Homer" I would read that as being allowed to deliberately place deep striking models within 6" of the Icon or Homer, i.e. being allowed to pre-measure and then placing them within range.

Indeed. How else could it be done?

I'm with Legatus and Isiah on this one. Seems cut and dry to me. I really can't abide by INAT; I felt like every single ruling I read in there was specifically done to be contrary.

Well yea I agree with you thade and the rest; the INAT blows and simply is wrong on so many points.

Hence why I said the only place that sort of premeasuring is not allowed is in events that use the INAT, of which there are few and the players don't read it anyway.

Farseerixivrost is free to premeasure as he pleases for icons/homers/etc. I just included some guidelines of what to do in case he happens to play the person who told him about it or any other crankers out there, and successful arguments against that idea (for daemons at least).

I feel this falls under the same area as measuring coherency between each model when you move your unit. I don't think anybody moves the unit, declares it moved, THEN measures only to find out that one model is not in coherency so the next turn it has to move back into coherency. Same as disembarking from a transport; we all measure to make sure we're legal/within 2" for tournaments. We don't do this after disembarkment only to see we're illegally disembarked and have to forfeit or something silly.

I really see the new 40k rules in two years going the same route that Fantasy did with many of the core rule changes: "always being able to measure" definitely being one of the changes we'll see. There's so many silly little quirks around when and why you can measure that would be solved by so simple a thing.

@Seahawk, I recall previous discussions we've had around INAT and I do recall you're not a fan of it. ^_^ I'm just *vehemently opposed* to it - in the way that seeing it makes me upset - so I can't help but speak out against it. Nothing personal!

(edit): I read that INAT. Makes me glad I'm not a hardcore tourney gamer.

The INAT is by no means a tournament standard. I've never seen it around where I play.

Measuring in the move phase is allowed. DS is treated as (counts as) movement. Wargear range effects are allowed, even expected to be measured when invoked: "choose to deep strike within 6" of the Icon/Homer".

INAT clearly don't read rules before making rulings.

INAT clearly don't read rules before making rulings.

Boy you can say that again. Every time I turn around they are wrong about something else. I don't know what they were doing when they made that thing, seems like they just made stuff up. Also GW has consistanly proven them wrong they they finally clarify a hot button issue(like the Deffrolla)

In fairness to INAT, not all their rulings are RAW faq interpretations. Without looking through INATFAQv4.1 (I do have it but can't find this Chaos icon/non-pre-measuring ruling so a INAT page ref would be good) there's no telling whether it falls under their [RAW], [Clarification], [rules change] or [typo] classification.

Faults aside - the INAT team have at least got off their asses and produce exactly the kind of major document GW should be doing. It's interesting too that Yakface does get credited on some official GW FAQs.

Faults aside - the INAT team have at least got off their asses and produce exactly the kind of major document GW should be doing. It's interesting too that Yakface does get credited on some official GW FAQs.

I would give them credit for their efforts, if I didn't get intensely frustrated every time INAT comes up even in casual conversation.

This is one of those times I'd recommend the lot of us who are most vocal on the OR make our own version of an "INAT"...but then, best case, it'd just be a new "INAT" and nothing official. We really need GW to step up. Maybe it'll happen someday.

They did with Fantasy once the new edition rolled out (some have already had 2 revisions since!!), every single book and the BRB got FAQ's. There's hope yet for 40k...

Isiah, it's actually in the Chaos Daemons section, so page 38. And it comes with some explanation that I missed before. I'll leave it to you, but it actually doesn't affect Chaos marine icons at all.

They did with Fantasy once the new edition rolled out (some have already had 2 revisions since!!), every single book and the BRB got FAQ's. There's hope yet for 40k...

Last time I mentioned my mutual hope orbiting this point you make, Grey Mage revealed that he's not a fan of Matt Ward stomping all over 40k. @_@ While I really like the changes to Fantasy and look forward to like changes to 40k, I'm not sure everybody is in agreement with us there. I for one can't wait to measure whenever I please :)

Lets not get off topic on that one. 40k doesnt have weapons like cannons, and I wont to into how premeasuring would affect a game where all standard moves are 6". If you want to send me a PM, by all means do so.

Still, it is good to see that GW has been stepping up their FAQs and updating them more reliably than any time I can remember.

Lets not get off topic on that one. 40k doesnt have weapons like cannons, and I wont to into how premeasuring would affect a game where all standard moves are 6". If you want to send me a PM, by all means do so.

I didn't mean to out you in a negative way; just citing you as someone who has the opposite viewpoint on that than I do. Sorry to stay OT for so long.

Still, it is good to see that GW has been stepping up their FAQs and updating them more reliably than any time I can remember.

Amen. A trend that I hope continues.

I didn't mean to out you in a negative way; just citing you as someone who has the opposite viewpoint on that than I do. Sorry to stay OT for so long.

Trust me thade, I didnt take it as a personal criticism- its just Ive noticed weve had alot of OT discussion in the OR lately, some of it *like fantasy* only tenibly linked to the dicussion at hand. Some is fine, but its been on the rise and we need to reign it in a bit.

Archived