To Kill a Trygon

Charliemachina

A Trygon pops up infront of your line or worse still one of the Synapse Trygons mabye two Trygons!

If you don't kill them quick them mainhorde swamps you.

If you ignore them the damage they cause is horrible.

How do we deal with this problem?

Cheers

Charlie

I charge him with a TH+SS Lone Wolf, and then move on with my day. Or hit him with a PlasmaHunter squad if theres no LW around.

If Im playing C:SM I give my librarian some extra attacks and try to force weapon him.

If Im playing Eldar I hit him with a squad of Wraithgaurd or some Fire Dragons.

If Im playing Sisters I chide my opponent for deploying such a beast in a 750pt game, and then try to bring it down with an Exorcist.

Trygons are essentially the heavy tanks of the Tyranids, so treat them the same way. Missiles are super common for Marines and work perfectly to counter it with no armor save and wounding on 2's. Plasma, Melta, Power Fists, and Auto/Las/Assault Cannons are also very good counters.

Focus fire until one its dead or you can finish it off with an assault unit then target the next one.

A) Force weapon him with a librarian! If you're worried about it not working and losing the librarian make him an epistolary and use might of the ancients and then force weapon him. On average an epistolary with MotA on the charge will do at least one wound and you have better than a 2+ to instant death him. (If you are Dark Angels this will be even better with I 5 so you can kill it before it can attack back, the downside is you don't have MotA)

:) Missile launcher it to death. Pretty simple really.

C) Terminator squad it! A tactical terminator squad with AC works wonders, my Tyranid opponent always warns anybody I play against about my assault cannon terminators. The AC will have a 1/3 chance to rend at least once and a 2/9 chance to wound it regularly, on the charge he can't kill all your terminators and the powerfists will kill him very quickly.

D) Just bolter spam it. Seriously! It's as tough as a 10 man terminator squad but with a 3+.

E) Concentrate any lascannon, plasma or AC fire you have on it the turn it comes on and then assault it with a tactical squad. Hopefully the shooting will whittle it down to one or two wounds and then it is easy for a power fist armed tactical squad to finish.

Edit: In my opinion they are the most over estimated model I have ever faced. Toughness 6 with 6? wounds for 200 points? It doesn't have any invulnerable and it only has so many attacks so a higher initiative squad with power weapons can wipe it out real quickly. (I'm looking at you TLC BT terminators with furious charge!) It is almost a free kill point.

Typhoons work wonders. You can down a trygon in a couple of turns and then start fragging the gaunts.

Sternguard with hellfire put a hurt on them too and venerable dreads give you some epic combats. Mine once held two of them for four whole turns eventually killing one of them before succumbing to the second...

The typical 10th man tac terminators with 2 cml will bring doom to any tyranid organism and they won't want to charge this pristine madness...

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet but I use good old Hellfire rounds. Sternguard are surprisingly destructive against Tyranids and I frequently find a place for a unit or two in most of my lists. Hellfire, Dragons Breath, Kraken, and Revenge rounds are all really useful against 'Nids.

Loads of dice if you don't have dedicated antitank. I took one down to 1 wound with a rifleman dread and a typhoon; the sergeant of the squad he was trying to eat took the last.

RoV

If you don't have dedicated anti-tank then shame on you!

But I agree with Kay, Typhoons are the answer here. I use them paired and they can cripple a Trygon in a single turns shooting, allowing you to finish it off with another units fire. The rest of your army can ignore it ;)

Lots of missiles works well. They are also great at killing the smaller bugs with frags.

So, as others have mentioned, typhoons are great, and have the mobility to move away if the trygon goes for them.

Dreads are good too, keep one with a DCCW nearby to charge it when it turns up. Make it a ven dread to keep it (the dread) alive for longer.

Archived