=][= Winter 2010 Community DIY Challenge =][=

Brother Tyler

[skullheaderhalf=f28b16; background-image:url(http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/hq2.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: 8px 2px; padding: 12px 8px 12px 8px; border: 1px solid #DDD; margin-left: 0 auto; text-align: left; color: #fff; text-indent:50px; font-size:130%; ">Winter 2010 Community DIY Challenge

Welcome to the project. In this project, members of the Bolter & Chainsword community will develop a do it yourself (DIY) Chapter of the Adeptus Astartes. The project will be facilitated by me, Brother Tyler. Anyone is welcome to participate in the project, and each member may participate as much or as little as he or she is inclined.

Voting
Members will vote via
PM or e-mail (submitting their votes to me). Members will have 6 points to assign in the voting, and they may assign those 6 points in any way that they like
Edited by Brother Tyler
Elements 1-12 completed.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them in this discussion.

Alrighty then.

This first challenge is an ideal case to use as a demo - say someone with ridiculously bad art skills didn't want to compete in the first part of the challenge, could said person still participate in the later stages of the challenge?

This could be fun.

This first challenge is an ideal case to use as a demo - say someone with ridiculously bad art skills didn't want to compete in the first part of the challenge, could said person still participate in the later stages of the challenge?

I'm no Borther Tyler, but I take the below quote to mean that the answer is yes.

Anyone is welcome to participate in the project, and each member may participate as much or as little as he or she is inclined.

-

Is there any information on the Inceptors beyond them being second founding Ultramarines successors?

Is there any reason for why the badge must incorporate something avian?

This could be fun.

I'm no Borther Tyler, but I take the below quote to mean that the answer is yes.

Anyone is welcome to participate in the project, and each member may participate as much or as little as he or she is inclined.

Ahaha, of course.

I was only asking that question to test everyone else who had also noticed that line. :lol:

Cheers Grey. :lol:

... say someone with ridiculously bad art skills didn't want to compete in the first part of the challenge, could said person still participate in the later stages of the challenge?

Yes (I know that Codex Grey already answered, but I figured I'd give the "official" answer just in case anyone was in doubt).

Is there any information on the Inceptors beyond them being second founding Ultramarines successors?

None that I know of, and that's why I picked them.

Is there any reason for why the badge must incorporate something avian?

In this case, I debated several options, finally settling on the avian aspect because it was pretty flexible. Calling the decision to include something avian as whimsical or arbitrary might not be far off from the truth, though the driving factor was providing a framework in which the members have to work. Each element is going to include some limitations, either requirements (something you have to include/do), restrictions (something you can't include/do), or both. The limitations will provide the basic challenge that prevents it from being a free-for-all. Subsequent elements may be more or less limiting. For the record, one of the other alternatives I considered was to incorporate a weapon in some fashion (which is also pretty broad).

A note for anyone considering participating - the image of the Chapter badge should be relatively simple to execute (similar to other Chapter badges). It shouldn't be a highly complex drawing with lots of shading and detail.

Can/Should we work on both the Chapter Symbol and Chapter Badge?

Also, does it have to be original art ... or found pics?

Edited by Ecritter

Can/Should we work on both the Chapter Symbol and Chapter Badge?

I assume the difference here is that one is the more fancy version and one is the simpler version that is usually depicted on shoulder pads. The one we're working on is the simpler version that goes on the shoulder pad. We'll tackle the more ornate version later.

Also, does it have to be original art ... or found pics?

Found pics are acceptable as long as you personalize them and they're not copyrighted (e.g., you can't take the logo for the Jaguars and use it as-is). As much as possible, though, I think that original artwork will be better. That might mean customizing something you find or combining multiple found elements into a new unique whole.

Edited by Brother Tyler
Oops! I had "can" where I should have had "can't". Five minutes in the pain glove for me.

Woah, obviously I've been away for too long, I didn't even realize this was put up here or anything! Well, I think I'll pass on this first challenge, for the same reasons as Shinzaren. Good luck everyone.

I'll also have to pass on this challenge. I don't have time to work on a badge right now, and frankly merely talking about my art skills causes people round me to get worse. :)

The deadline to submit images for the Chapter Badge has closed.

Here are our entries (I've given each one a nickname based on the key element of the image and list them here in alphabetical order):

"Fist"

gallery_26_548_70992.png

"Shield"

gallery_26_548_28933.png

"Skull"

gallery_26_548_1232.gif

"Sword"

gallery_26_548_9612.png

IMPORTANT!!!

Two things to keep in mind:

1. The images you see above are not the finished product. We will apply colors and allow for minor stylistic changes to the image we choose at a later stage of the project. The key issue to focus on is the concept.
  2. "Originality" isn't necessarily critical here. There are numerous examples of Chapters using virtually identical badges, with the only discriminators being color (e.g., the White and Black Consuls use the an eagle/hawk head; the Imperial and Crimson Fists used a clenched fist; etc.). It's okay to vote for an image or images that you think bring some uniqueness if that's what you want, but it is not an absolute requirement for this challenge.

Members will vote via PM or e-mail (submitting their votes to me). Members will have 6 points to assign in the voting, and they may assign those 6 points in any way that they like

And our winner is the "Skull" image submitted by Brother Cambrius. As such, Brother Cambrius is entitled to display the below banner in his signature (though the standard 350x100 pixel signature image area must still be observed):

gallery_26_4045_2540.gif

[img=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/1290546215/gallery_26_4045_2540.gif]

gallery_26_548_1232.gif

Our other participants were:

• Codex Grey ("Fist")
  • Ferrata ("Shield")
  • Ecritter ("Sword")

Each of them is entitled to display the below banner in their signatures:

gallery_26_4045_1095.gif

[img=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/1290546215/gallery_26_4045_1095.gif]

The Element 2 Challenge will be up shortly.

Element 2: Color Scheme

A
s with the other Primogenitor Chapters, the Inceptors were strict adherents of the Codex Astartes, written by their Primarch, Roboute Guilliman. This mindset was imparted upon their Successor Chapter and, following tradition, one of the first decisions made by the fledgling Chapter's first Chapter Master was the heraldry that would adorn the armour of the battle-brothers. In accordance with the dictates of the Codex Astartes, the Chapter Master chose a color scheme that would distinguish his Chapter from the other Chapters of the Adeptus Astartes.

CHALLENGE: Create the newly-founded Chapter

Restrictions: You may not use white or blue for the main armour colors. You may not use the "Basic" color application (described below).

Bah, you've banned my two favourite colours. Oh well, at least participants can make another black and red chapter! ;)

Quick question, though... is there any particular reason why blue and white are off the menu?

Oh ,and before I forget:Congrats to Cambrius for winning the first challenge - and well done to the other entrants for making voting so difficult. :)