Black Templars - a restoration project (update! 2/21/11)

dr. dwarf

In addition to my Space Sharks project, I looked at my bitz box and had enough bits to fashion a few marines with bolt pistol/chainsword. I figured what better way to make use of them then create a Black Templars army. I decided to try to do this on the cheap, so I browsed Ebay and other places and bought the roughest, paint splattered, all around abused minis I could find in a attempt to bring them back to life as Black Templars. I have had good luck doing this to fill my Space Shark ranks, so lets take a look at what I have so far, barring the bitz box minis:

First up a Landraider Crusader:

gallery_51133_5421_17625.jpg

gallery_51133_5421_33786.jpg

who could do this to a $60+ dollar model is beyond me. I managed to repair the left sponson somewhat, but its still missing some sensors and a hatch. Fear not, this guy is going to take a purifying bath in holy simple green for a few days. Hopefully after that and a lil' toothbrush work it will be ready for a new basecoat and lease on life.

gallery_51133_5421_827.jpg

just a few example minis and dreadnought I picked up. The dread isnt to bad, but the photos dont really show the mess that the marines are. Alot of the marines in this bunch have some questionable poses (not looking where thier aming, both weapons raise sky-high as if surrendering). With a new paint job, repositioning of arms, and rebasing these guys will look good.

gallery_51133_5421_5457.jpg

An example of what I'm working with - consider this the "before" shot...

gallery_51133_5421_53162.jpg

...and now the "after". This isnt the same mini pictured above, but he is from the same group I bought. with a little repositioning and some detail work I think they'll all come out ok like this guy (forgive the poor picture taking). These bases they are on are attrocious. I'm not good at basing but I think a new coat of paint and soem bits n bobs added to it will fix it up.

More to come!

After a 2 day Simple Green bath, the Landraider cleaned up pretty nicely:

gallery_51133_5421_28852.jpg

However the previous owner got all happy with the glue so no hatches open and you can see the overglue along the sides and on the doors etc. I tried sanding/ filing most of it down and hopefully with a new paintjob as well as some strategic placement of purity seals/bitz it will look alot better!

I love seeing restoration work like this happening!

Please keep posting updates.

Comparison before and after shots of everything would be awesome.

I generally buy new bases when I recycle and it makes the project a lot easier to put your own stamp on. Old Terminators are fun to recycle onto new bases and by bulking them out a bit to make them more like the new ones, I start by lifting them up a bit with a spacer of sprue under their feet to give the impression of more height and then bury the sprue in a few layers of sand on the base to make a small hill.

howdy, and excuse my ignorance in advance, but what is Simple Green? I've read the term a couple of times now and from it's description I will massively benifit from it's purchase!!

Thanks in advance!

Secondly, and even more impotantly, Keep up the excellent work. It's topis like this that help the rest of us have "hope" for our oldest, most paint-swamped minis to make a come-back

howdy, and excuse my ignorance in advance, but what is Simple Green? I've read the term a couple of times now and from it's description I will massively benifit from it's purchase!!

Thanks in advance!

Secondly, and even more impotantly, Keep up the excellent work. It's topis like this that help the rest of us have "hope" for our oldest, most paint-swamped minis to make a come-back

Simple green is a cleaner thats not dangerous to you like most other cleaners. You can find it in the auto section of most stores like Walmart, Target, and thier equivalents.

Here's the website for it:

http://www.simplegreen.com/

Thankyou greatly!!!! I shall journey to yea old shop as fast as my legs can go!!

Cheers,

Jono

keep in mind that the thicker the paint, the less it needs to be diluted. also you'll need a thick brisseled toothbrush to scrub with.

Landraider is on the backburner for now until some bitz come in to make it look good (hopefully), so I'll be finishing up my 3rd and last 10-man tac squad of Space Sharks in the meantime.

After a 2 day Simple Green bath, the Landraider cleaned up pretty nicely:

gallery_51133_5421_28852.jpg

However the previous owner got all happy with the glue so no hatches open and you can see the overglue along the sides and on the doors etc. I tried sanding/ filing most of it down and hopefully with a new paintjob as well as some strategic placement of purity seals/bitz it will look alot better!

That, is an ugly shade of gray. I do demand paint as soon as possible!

Great idea for an army mate, truly testing your skills and patience.

Thats fair play to you mate.

I have a bitz box of like 20 old terms, some original rogue trader marines and a good whack of 2nd ed stuff aswell - I just dont have the time to strip it. However seeing that you were able to strip that land raider without melting it makes me want to strip my old rhinos just so I have more - saves me another £80!.

I did strip all my GKT's from 20 years ago, oh how I love those models. They are my next project when I finish my BA's.

Actually stripping is pretty easy and 20 terminators would be a breeze, if you are soaking rhinos then there is probably a lot of room around them to fit them in the soak. Personally I like to work in batches at all stages. I almost always have something in the simple green bath, I use sealed tuppoware containers so it doesn't evaporate and is east to give a quick shake to. Something to assemble, something to base, something to undercoat and something to paint, it means I don't get bored doing any one thing and depending on my mood I can just pick up whatever and make some progress. I usually work on the re-basing of terminators five at a time since it is a good bit of work and involves filler/GS at the joints to reposition and bulk up. Lately I've actually been making good money selling reconditioned models to guys in my gaming group since I know what they need, easy to say hey want a new terminator squad? I will even paint to match their army, just finished a set of FT terminators yesterday and now he wants me to do a full assault squad :P

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still waiting on bits from Europe to fix up the landraider with, so in the meantime I decided to primer up one of the predators I got.

gallery_51133_5421_17455.jpg

Despite the crappy pics This tank was painted very well, but unfortunately it wasnt black and it had space wolf icons and eagles on it. After prying off the eagle on the front (already removed before the pic) I decided I would either A) give it a Simple Green bath, or B.) primer over the existing paintjob. I decided to go the fast route and primer over the existing grey/green. The paint was on really smooth and being grey it would affect the black primer job.

gallery_51133_5421_9232.jpg

I wanted to save myself some work, so I decided to try and cover the existing sensors,pipes, metal bits, etc. That looked good already with sticky tak (couldnt find my painter's tape.

After primering the tank and some other marines, I do say it came out rather good:

gallery_51133_5421_9914.jpg

gallery_51133_5421_6633.jpg

Yeah its going to need some touch-up, but I'd rather do that than risk overspray and be just as bad as that land raider <_< . I'm going to let this guy dry out fully before giving it a coat of Chaos Black (you can see some testing I did with it on the turret)

More to come!

Simple green is a cleaner thats not dangerous to you like most other cleaners. You can find it in the auto section of most stores like Walmart, Target, and thier equivalents.

Here's the website for it:

http://www.simplegreen.com/

Simple Green works well but if you headed to Wal Mart they have a product called Purple Power that is cheaper and works as well if not better IMO

Aside from that it is good to see someone reusing old models. I myself have acquired 1/4 of my WIP battle company because of others disgruntled painting endeavors. Took a look at your Sharks and if your Black Templar end up as nicely painted then it will be an awesome army to see completed.

• 2 weeks later...

did some stuff to the landraider after i got a buncha of bits in. In true space marine fashion, I took the machine and stuck a bunch of crap all over it.

gallery_51133_5421_8219.jpg

no, that flag is not going to remain in the tailpipe, i just need to figure out where it needs to go and if I need to get more of them.

no BT landraider doors because the model is mummified in glue , so I made my own with bits. Also added some resin bits from Scibor:

gallery_51133_5421_87423.jpg

gallery_51133_5421_45491.jpg

the front

gallery_51133_5421_69811.jpg

the back

gallery_51133_5421_13581.jpg

as you can see it still needs alot of work and I really dont know how its going to come out in the end. Anyone have or know where I can get one of those sensors that sits atop the side sponsons without buying the whole side sponson? I cant really afford to buy a whole side sposon just for one tiny bit :devil: . Also flag placement - somehwere in the middle like it is now or somewhere else? maybe the large one and 2 smaller brettonian flags of the same fashion (i.e. 1 small flag per side sponson with the larger in the back of the machine). I'm all ears for ideas!

Woah. That's a nice purse.

Pink supposedly draws the eye - good excuse for staring at attractive women, by the way - but i didn't notice that, which now causes me to worry about you ol' son! :lol:

hahah, my wife thanks you :lol: Its actually some sort of beach bag thing she got a while back.

• 2 weeks later...

not much of an update, been super sick and working a different shift than I normally do. I did manage to get my idea for Emperor's Champion cobbled together from my bitz box. Instead of a sword he has a huge-ass mace!

gallery_51133_5421_23050.jpg

Hopefully sometime this week I'll finish up the 10 black templars I've been working on as well and get this guy and the landraider started (or at least primered).

thanks for looking! ^_^

Archived