Black Templars - a restoration project (update! 2/21/11)

dr. dwarf

The LRC is certainly looking a million miles better, good job. With the flag I'd have two of them either side at the back on the armoured section just before you get to the tracks.

And the champ is looking pretty sweet, was concidering using BA bits myself for some guys. What model is the mace from?

• 3 weeks later...
The LRC is certainly looking a million miles better, good job. With the flag I'd have two of them either side at the back on the armoured section just before you get to the tracks.

And the champ is looking pretty sweet, was concidering using BA bits myself for some guys. What model is the mace from?

The mace is from a warhammer warriors of chaos sprue I got in a box of bits, not sure exactly which kit it comes from unfortunately.

Speaking of BA bits, this update has guy i fixed using one of the new Sanguinary guard bare heads. Its a small update, but as I said in my Space Sharks post, things have been wild around the household with christmas and work and whatnot. Now with that stuff all over and some semblance of normality has begun to set in, hopefully I can get some work done on these guys as well as the sharks. On with the small update!

gallery_51133_5421_3219.jpg

These guys are patched up (no more missing arms and whatnot) and highlighted, just need the final highlights and some touchup. Ignore the horribad bases - that's what they came on and I aim to turn them into some sort of urban rubble looking ones.

gallery_51133_5421_10843.jpg

I really like the new BA helmets and bare heads, expect to see some of the sanguinary and death company ones appear in future builds.

gallery_51133_5421_22556.jpg

gallery_51133_5421_13688.jpg

Thats about it for now, I hoping to get some work put in on these guys this weekend and maybe some next week. thanks again for looking!

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an update here, got most of the first squad (no special weapon guy or sergeant equivalent guy) done. I might go back and touch them up with some crusader seals and other doodads. The poses arent too great but hey they're 2nd hand and I didnt want to risk breaking them more than they already were. Not exactly the best lighting but it'll have to do:

gallery_51133_5421_18635.jpg

gallery_51133_5421_15917.jpg

gallery_51133_5421_64623.jpg

Here's the WIP sergeant type guy with his powerfist, Some shoulderpads are missing because I'm waiting on more Templar bits from the mail:

gallery_51133_5421_30601.jpg

And here is the Marshal/Castellan mini:

gallery_51133_5421_7065.jpg

The best thing about him is...

gallery_51133_5421_8045.jpg

He's MAGNETIZED! I couldnt decide on permanent head or weaponset, so all thats magnetized. It also makes him sorta like an action figure now:

gallery_51133_5421_1737.jpg

All I got for now, hopefully I can get that landraider primered up and paint soon!

has anyone ever considered sending pics to the previous owner of refurbished models like "look, this is how its supposed to be"

Funny you should say that, because I do plan on showing the previous owner of these neophytes:

gallery_51133_5421_142000.jpg

gallery_51133_5421_48373.jpg

gallery_51133_5421_26915.jpg

While I cant take credit for the awesome build/conversions of the models, I have begun to basecoat them as you can see.

After I got these guys off ebay, I contacted the seller to let him know how great the conversions were and how I couldnt wait to paint them. He asked that I email him the pics when they're done so I might start these guys next.

hmmm with some of the models i have seen here in my home town... i almost wish i could send some of them to you to see how you could fix em up. *laughs* some of them are pretty bad.. such as one guy who has a full 'blood angels' army who ispainted much like that land raider at the start before you stripped it... and the guy says his a 'long term hobbiest player with a great deal of experience in painting.' >,<

• 3 weeks later...

Little update on the neophytes here. They now all have thier primary coat of paint for each weapon, asseesory, etc. put on. Now all they need is a good wash or two, some highlights and touchups! I'll get on this probably tommorow, but heres some bad lighting pics for now:

gallery_51133_5421_96482.jpg

I imagine these guys to be kinda like a squire (or golf caddy!), carrying all thier master's extra ammo, weapons, scrolls etc. and generally helping them out on the battlefield, hence the laden with items look.

gallery_51133_5421_36986.jpg

gallery_51133_5421_58589.jpg

This guys nowhere near done, but I painted him a little further along to see how the future units will look. I think they are gonna come out pretty good and detailed!

gallery_51133_5421_46899.jpg

Landraider crusader also got its well needed primer/basecoating. I'm a bit scared to try to paint it! More to come later this week hopefully!

yeah it was, none of the hatches open so lord only know what it looks like on the inside! I managed to get most of it sanded down so you cant see it now with the paintjob. if any anomalies pop up its going to be painted as "battle damage" or hopefully covered with a purity seal or something.

Ok, got these neophytes about 95% done I just dont know what to do with the banners on the horns and the flags they're carrying (you'll see in the photos). I dont know hwat colors to paint them! Oh yeah and the templar cross decals were a NIGHTMARE to put on, most have been touched up by paint or painted entirely. I was hoping the decals were smaller out of the scout box I had from my sharks but they're the same as regular old SM decals :fakenopic:

gallery_51133_5421_41915.jpg

see the flag? its got a shield in the middle (its from the brettonians) any ideas for a color scheme? Anyway, on with the blurry bad lit photos!

gallery_51133_5421_21265.jpg

gallery_51133_5421_30429.jpg

gallery_51133_5421_6930.jpg

More to come, any suggestions on color schemes/ideas for the horn banners and flags are appreciated! I also made another blog (its in my sig) for my templars, so check it out if your're into that.

Sigh....and after I had so thoroughly convinced myself that SM helmets were a better move than Bretonnian heads on my Neos... :P

The horns seem a bit silly, but that's what Neo's are for I guess. I'd consider drilling and hollowing out the ends a bit though. As for the banners...red or white trim (couldn't hurt to try both seeing how you got more than one flag) a Crusade badge design to fill the shield, and either black or brown or khaki to fill in the rest. Some checkers and dabs of scripture always look boss too.

Oh yeah and the templar cross decals were a NIGHTMARE to put on

A true Templar fears not the trials of freehanding his insignias :D Looks like they came out good at any rate. So has this project a as whole, really.

:tu:

dr. dwarf, may you forever be a painting hero within the B&C.

First off, I didn't know the Green Bay Packers had Land Raiders (Green and Yellow on top of black? Really?)

Second, you're doing an awesome job with this. I love the shields on the Crusader sponsons.

Assault-back Kid, I work in a store that sells both Simple Green and Purple Power. I've used both products, and personally I'd rather use Simple Green as it's far less toxic for human life.

Archived