Scouts, Techmarines, and 5th Ed. fun!

Erasmus of Baal

I was thinking about a concept I had been toying with in my head recently, that is, combining a Techmarine's reinforcing ability with a Scout squad's camo cloaks to get them effectively a 2++ save, when I hit upon the idea of going to ground. With three +1 modifiers to what is normally a 4+ roll, is it possible to create an auto-passing situation?

I was thinking about a concept I had been toying with in my head recently, that is, combining a Techmarine's reinforcing ability with a Scout squad's camo cloaks to get them effectively a 2++ save, when I hit upon the idea of going to ground. With three +1 modifiers to what is normally a 4+ roll, is it possible to create an auto-passing situation?

You do get a fe advantages for having a 1+ cover save however... although I guess it would be rare... for example... and don't quote me on this but one of the things the Tau can do is put negative modifiers on cover saves so if you had a 1+ save light in fantasy if it was modified by 1 you would still pass on a 2+... and if you had a negative save you would need a lot of modifiers to make anything but a one fail.

Helios is correct: Tau Markerlights can be spent to reduce a unit's Cover save (by one per Marker Light). For the purposes of mitigating this sort of save reduction, saves better than 2+ are useful. For actually making the save however, they are not, as 1s always fail.

See, the logic is that under the Go to Ground rules, it's not listed as improving the Cover Save by one--rather, the roll is given a +1 modifier, thus it can never be the 1 that fails. Is there anything that I missed in the rules that changes this?

And could you stack Lysanders defense bolstering on top? so +1 for techomarine, +1 Lysander, +1 cammo + gone to ground... 0+ save for cover.

Bring on the flamers :devil:

Err ....flamers ignore cover saves

that was the point lol

See, the logic is that under the Go to Ground rules, it's not listed as improving the Cover Save by one--rather, the roll is given a +1 modifier, thus it can never be the 1 that fails. Is there anything that I missed in the rules that changes this?

Some models gain additional benefits from rules that may increase any of their saves by +1 or +2. However, no save (armour, cover or invulnerable) can ever be improved beyond 2+. A roll of a 1 always fails. BRB pg24

I understand your argument, that the modifier is applied to the number rolled and not to the Save value, but that is not how modifiers to Saves are applied. There is not a separate value for a Save beyond the number on the die.

Some models gain additional benefits from rules that may increase any of their saves by +1 or +2. However, no save (armour, cover or invulnerable) can ever be improved beyond 2+. A roll of a 1 always fails. BRB pg24

I understand your argument, that the modifier is applied to the number rolled and not to the Save value, but that is not how modifiers to Saves are applied. There is not a separate value for a Save beyond the number on the die.

What I was looking for! I knew there had to be something wrong with it, thanks.

Archived