Assaulting with a unit comprised of both beasts and infantry

Heimer

I stumbled over a question which I could find no answer to in neither the BRB nor the FAQ for it.

If you have a single unit comprised of different unit types (e.g. beasts and infantry), would the beasts be allowed to charge 12", and as such still be able to get the infantry engaged even if the enemy unit was, say, 8" away?

(You might wonder if it is at all possible to field any such units; it is indeed possible - a space wolf Iron Priest (infantry) can be fielded along with cyberwolves (beasts), and none of them are IC's).

The nearest I could find in the BRB was the following sentence under the rules for the movement phase (p. 11):

DIFFERENT MOVEMENT DISTANCES IN A UNIT

All of the models in a unit move at the speed of the slowest model

But that seems to be concerned only with the movement phase, and not the assault phase.

So, does anybody have an answer for that?

DIFFERENT MOVEMENT DISTANCES IN A UNIT

All of the models in a unit move at the speed of the slowest model

But that seems to be concerned only with the movement phase, and not the assault phase.

So, does anybody have an answer for that?

You're moving and the two model types have different move 'speed' thus the rule applies regardless of which phase you're in.

At least that's how I read it...

Indeed, its all movement.

Also, ask yourself this: why make up a new rule when we have a straightforward consistant one that very well can and should apply to the situation? GW Rules have enough issues without us trying to punch more holes in them than we have to.

As the others have said, any unit moves at the speed of the slowest model, which includes assault distance so normally a unit of mixed beasts and infantry would only have a 6" assault range. However, it probably does bear mentioning that mixed-by-design units such as Dark Eldar Beastmasters (as opposed to units where you add an IC to a beast squad) will often give the infantry equipment or special rules to let them keep up with the beasts.

Although, if the infantry unit can make it into combat with its 6" charge, the beasts may be able to use their longer charge range ot make it into attacking range. Imagine a line of infantry, with beasts to the left, and the unit wishes to charge directly right. if only moving 6" some of the beasts may not get into range to contribute attacks, but if allowed their longer charge, then they may be in range. I would defiantley say no to usign beasts to slingshot infantry into base-to-base, but could it work as I just suggested?

I'd guess not for the reasons given by nurglez, LPetersson and others. By one component of a unit charging and using a greater maximum assault range than allowed other components of the same unit - a basic rule is being broken.

Although, if the infantry unit can make it into combat with its 6" charge, the beasts may be able to use their longer charge range ot make it into attacking range. Imagine a line of infantry, with beasts to the left, and the unit wishes to charge directly right. if only moving 6" some of the beasts may not get into range to contribute attacks, but if allowed their longer charge, then they may be in range. I would defiantley say no to usign beasts to slingshot infantry into base-to-base, but could it work as I just suggested?

No.

if there are infantry with your beasts/calvery then your beast/calvery assault range is 6." This is identical to if one model went through difficult terrain, all models in the entire unit are restricted to that models speed.

Archived