assaulting units in cc

Adeptus Templar

So I haven't played 40k in about a year or so and the other day I play my friend and he says that since I am only assaulting his chapter master( A ) with my GKGM and 3 man retinue( B ) that his assault squad( C ) can assault me also. My initail reaction was, <_<? No you cant. We argued for a bit and then I just started to pack up because it the argument was becoming ridiculous. Is this possible, two units assaulting one unit? When I started playing I was under the impression that when two units, A & B, are locked in cc that no other unit can shoot it nor assault it.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm230/kevinh8097/assaultquestion.png

A unit can assault an enemy unit that is already engaged in a combat. No restriction there. The only requirement is that the assaulting unit can contact some of the models in the enemy unit. If the enemy unit is crowded with other models and it is not possible to place new models in contact, then no additional unit can charge in. Other than that, new units can charge in whenever they want.

The rules for multiple assaults are explained on page 41, and in the second paragraph ("Defenders React") it even mentions the case where a new unit is charging into an ongoing combat.

Now you better politely apologize to your friend. <_<

Your friend is being punched by a guy on the sidewalk, can you walk up and help him out?

Of course you can, assuming theres room to engage this opponent.

The authors of 5th edition werent that dumb.

Archived