Non-DA Terminator list

Br0ther Rafen

Hi guys

I have a lot of terminators that i have collected over the years. And, i mean, a LOT.

The number, from all my different armies+Space Hulk, would be around 60-70 Termies.

So, i was curious, could you make a Non-DA/Loganwing list thats viable? It would mostly be used for fun, and i am aware that i cannot have everything in Terminator armour.

I have a list here, though i'm not entierly sure points wise becuase i don't have a codex on me.

HQ

Libby

TDA, Gate/Avenger

125pts(?)

Elites

5x Terminator Squad

CML

230pts

5x Terminator Squad

CML

230pts

Troops

10x Tactical Squad

Flamer, ML, Fist Rhino

230pts

10x Tactical Squad

Flamer, ML, Fist Rhino

230pts

Fast Attack

Heavy Support

Thunderfire Cannon

100pts

Thunderfire Cannon

100pts

Land Raider Crusader

MM

255pts

1500 points total

I was thinking that this would be an Earth list, but i'm not sure about what to add.

I want the Thunderfires in there because while my friends play primarily SM's and Eldar, my single Cannon has been a massive pain in the ass and a life saver, just sitting in the corner of the board and raining hell down on his tacticals and fragile stuff.

Anyway, I was thinking on taking the LR out for a another TDA Squad of Termies.

What do you guys think?

I like it with the TFCs but you may want a terminator assault squad to come out of the LR

I agree with this. TFCs are nice, but you don't want your shooting squad of Termys in the LR.

Plus, for your Terminator list you have a grand total of 11 Terminators, not quite comparable to what some other armies can do.

Which is why I'd suggest doing the following: take out the TFCs, replacing them with an TH/SS Squad. Drop the fists on the Tactical Squads give the Libby a storm shield (he really will benefit from a 3++ save) and extra armour to your Land Raider.This gives you your killy hammer unit, two midfield, hard to shift scoring units, your Tactically flexible Tactical Terminator squad with cyclones for fire support. Finally, I'd give the Libby Null Zone and Avenger/GoI as his powers, but seriously, Null Zone is truly amazing. Also, swap the missile launchers on the Tactical Squads for multi-meltas, you've got missiles in the Terminator squad, and having a couple of MM bunkers is good.

20pts left I believe, so either give the Tactical Squads plasma guns to complement their multi-meltas and increase anti-MEQ, or give the Sergeants a combi to help with killing power and versatility, I'd suggest the combi-flamer as it can't miss, hits many people, and complements the flamer nicely.

However, it's your list so don't let me make your choices for you, just a couple of suggestions :P

I wouldn't really call that a Termi list with only 10 termies. I think this is hard at 1500 If you want to go termi heavy I think you have a couple of options.

1.) Shrike infitrating 10 Assualt termies. 5 more Assault termis in a Land Raider of some sort. Minimum troop squads (many people go with minimal scouts with cammo cloaks). Season to taste.

2.) I have seen similar lists with Lysander.

3.) Play Blood angels, and either go with 2 10 man squads of Assault termies with attatched Sanguinary priests, or 2 5 man squads in Land Raider redeemers with Sanguinary priests. Abusing FNP, 2 + armor 3++

Drop the Thunderfire Cannons. They're very weak sauce, even at this points-value (they die when a stiff breeze blows). Swap them for Dakka Predators: saves you 30 net points and gets you a much more dependable firebase.

If you really want more Terminators, swap one of them out for a Terminator Assault Squad and stick 'em in the land raider. Otherwise, drop the land raider. You can get another 5 Terminators and a Cyclone Missile Launcher in its place. I'd also consider giving the Librarian Vortex of Doom, especially if you stick him with Assault Terminators. Take advantage of being Relentless.

@ Jackelope King, I know that TFC's aren't that resilient, but I find their freater reach is great, since I play on a 4x6 table, and i can maximise on that massive range.

though i do agree, i would like some more Terminators.

What about take out a TFC, Take out the rhino's and Fists/move points around, to get a Hammernator/LC Termiy Sqaud in the LR?

Not sure if this would be very viable taking out the Rhino's, but my friends rarly use tanks to out speed me anyway. They simply use them as Mobile Firebase's.

What do guys think?

PS thanks for C&C so far.

Several notes:

Most terminator lists are water (GKT heavy lists, Deathwing, some Loganwing)

You should really just play Dark Angels, this isn't prejudice, its just a lot easier because your terminators are troops.

With codex marines you can't do much out of 2000 points because the terminator squads can't mix to fill more roles and you need to take two troops.

Terminator heavy armies in C:SM also have a problem against shooty armies. While slogging they take a crap load of firepower, when in vehicles they will probably end up slogging. Deathwing can negate this to some extent by freeing up points in the troops section to get a land raider or two and also they can deep strike half (rounding up) of their reserve terminators on turn 1.

Wait till you play out flanking genestealers, see how much you like your TFC then. Toss the TFCs and the fists for another land raider.

I would recommend against the DA codex until it's updated; use the Wolf Dex if you want your terminators to be troops. Otherwise, just take three big units of them and use them to harass and kill, keeping your scoring units safe.

@ Lard'O Blood, I know that this isn't very competitive, and I know that most lists can simply erdicate my TFC's, but I don't plan for this to be competitive. It's just a friendly list that I was curious to try out.

Also, I guess i could try the DA, it's just that Hamernators aren't very good in the DA dex (4++'s are not very good compared to 3++'s)

Loganwing would probably be good as well though.

Still, can anyone come up with a C:SM list?

Interesting that you state DA TH/SS termies are not good (they're not, a 4++ in CC only is way worse than a 3++ all the time) but have none in your original list.

I already suggested a few lists if you want a full list

Shrike

10 Assault termies (6 Th/SS, 4 LC)

6 Assault termies (4 TH/SS, 2 LC) in a LR Redeemer

2 x 10 man Tactical squad (melta, ML) in Rhino

Br0ther Rafen,

I run a foot slogging list with a 10 man Cyclone Termie squad that can combat squad into 2 should I wish to do that. Usually I run them in one big squad, and that makes it 3x more durable. I almost always play with a Libarian with Null Zone and Avenger. (Sometimes I use a Chapter Master.) You do not need to run him attached to the termies, just nearby to use the Null Zone with the termies power fists. I have been planning to use Lysander one of these days, I have heard that can be a great combo, but haven't tried it yet.

The termies put out the fire power of a Devestator and Tactical squad combined, except they all have powerfists like sarges and hit like a ton of bricks. Mine move and fire almost every turn. These guys are my star performers and will usually win or a least put a huge dent into any of the close combat monsters aimed at my army.

The rest of my army is 3-4 tactical squads and dreadnoughts (Rifleman). My tactical are armed with combi-flamer, flamer, plasma cannon. You need a critcal mass of plasma cannons to be able to hit stranded troops at all angles on the battle field, so there is no where to hide. Plasma guns might be a good replacement for some of the flamers.

I have thought about replacing a Tac squad with a Scout Squad+ LSS Storm, and adding in a drop pod. A foot slogging army has severe movement limitations, and you need to change you tactics accordingly. Rhinos would be a fine addition, as well.

I run at 1500 points, for larger games I will add in Sternguard or Devestators. I have been having fun with this army, and the tactics it imposes on me. People do not usually expect to see it. But it is in no way a competitive army, just one for fun. That being said, I usually tie and sometimes win with it. I ususally play Space Wolves in combat squad mode (tacticals), or Tau in full squad mode. The termies usually stay full.

Best of Luck Brother!

Warprat ;)

I've been toying with the idea of taking a 10-man Tactical Termie Suqad with 2 CML's, splitting into combat squads, and having Lysander run around with 5 storm bolter. Take two small, sniper Scout squads with Camo Cloaks and a Heavy Weapon, camp them in a reinforced building and hold the other Termies nearby. I know that still runs pretty expensive, but it gives you 10 Termies, your Troops, and a solid HQ for 860 points. A Land Raider (of some variety) with 5 Assault Termies and whatever else you feel like to round out the rest 1500. If you aren't keen on Assault Termies (from your list I wasn't sure if you didn't like them or have the appropriate models), Deep Strike some Tactical Termies with a Vortex of Doom Libby. Either way here are some sample lists I had lying about trying to do something similar:

List 1

HQ:

Lysander

Troops:

5 Scouts

Camo

HB

5 Scouts 75

Telion 50

ML 10

Elites:

Terminator Squad

5 additional Terminators

CML (x2)

Assault Terminators

Land Raider

MM

Extra Armor

Dreadnought

TL AC

TL AC

List 2

HQ:

Lysander

Libby

TDA w/SB

Epistolary

Powers:

VoD

Gate

Troops:

5 Scouts

Camo

HB

5 Scouts

Camo

HB

Elites:

Terminator Squad

5 additional Terminators

CML (x2)

Terminator Squad

5 additional Terminators

AC (x2)

I don't expect either of these to be competitive but they might be fun :D

Personally, I prefer the second list. The first, while having one of the best combat units C:SM can have, TH/SS Termys plus the Land Raider to put them in, it only has two vehicle units, the Land Raider and the Rifleman Dread. Therefore, every melta weapon in your opponent's army is going to hit your Land Raider, and every long range anti-tank weapon, such as lascannons, missile launchers and autocannons, is going to aiming for the Rifleman.

The second list, however, I prefer as it skimps out on the isolated transports in favour of more people. The only thing would be to switch the assault cannons for cyclone missile launchers on the second squad, ask around your LGS if you've already used yours. Also, I'd drop Epistolary from the Libby, too expensive for what it does, give him a storm shield, and more importantly, swap Gate of Infinity for Null Zone. I cannot stress this enough, Null Zone is perhaps one of the greatest psychic powers available at the moment, and definitely the best one C:SM Libbys can get. Making those Farseers and Seer Councils, TH/SS Terminators, individual Captains and now Dark Eldar shimmer shields re-roll their invulnerable saves is invaluable. Finally, with the remaining points think about getting chainfists in those Terminator Squads, allowing them to combat AV14. Also, don't combat squad the Termys, squads of 10 are much more durable, and more will benefit from Lysander's Bolter Drill.

It may not be competitive, but it'll certainly be fun to play with. The scouts holding objectives and staying alive, while the Terminators can react to pretty much anything, whether its infantry, tanks or combat. I may be tempted to think about something similar :D.

I would recommend against the DA codex until it's updated; use the Wolf Dex if you want your terminators to be troops. Otherwise, just take three big units of them and use them to harass and kill, keeping your scoring units safe.

But wolf guard terminators are like 60 points per model or something stupid.

@ Lard'O Blood, I know that this isn't very competitive, and I know that most lists can simply erdicate my TFC's, but I don't plan for this to be competitive. It's just a friendly list that I was curious to try out.

Also, I guess i could try the DA, it's just that Hamernators aren't very good in the DA dex (4++'s are not very good compared to 3++'s)

Loganwing would probably be good as well though.

Still, can anyone come up with a C:SM list?

Hammernators. I hate them. ERGH. The thought annoys me.

Sure DA hammernators aren't that great, which is why most people don't take them. Be hip like me and take 1 AC, 1 CF and 1 LC. They will statistically beat a C:SM equivalent squad even with both guys shooting before hand and neither side getting the charge.

Besides, have you ever been on the receiving end of a DW squad with 4 LC, 1 CF/HF, Deathwing Banner, apothecary, Belial, LRC and an interrogator chaplain in TDA?

only th/ss sw termies are extremely expensive, at 63pts, but for 33 points you get a storm bolter and a power weapon, and the ability to add loads of funky toys to the squad.

While logan wing is kinda hard to get a nice balanced army at 1500 points, you do get logan, who has a few nice rules (he had better for costing more then a landraider!).

I had toyed around with a chaos army with a few large units of terminators, just for the fun of it, but then instead i decided to go logan wing count as :D

BA 20 termies with FC & FnP

tda & SS libby x 2

-powers as you will, but hammer distribution makes a difference to what's sensible.

assault termies 8 x2

-Points for 8 TH&SSs across the 2 units for whatever mix you like but I'd favor keeping both units together with all ICS in a 1LC/7TH squad. The priests and libbies do PW attacks at initiative, hammers follow up on that.

priest tda x 2

20 sniper scouts, cloaks and ML

-pinning is your friend.

@ 1500 pts you could get away with dis:

10 Tactical Terminators (with 2 x CML)

10 Assault Terminators (in a Land Raider Crusader)

5 Man Scout Sniper Squad

10 Man Close Comat Scout Squad (With Homer)

A cheap HQ: Captain, Chappy or Libby!

just my quick calculations!!

:(

The main issue with an all termi logan wing is Logan as he is 2x the cost of belial (which he is worth). But when you are paying 33-63 points per model for each troop the loss of that extra 145 points is a lot. In addition WG termies cannot Deep strike unless you give them Drop pods.

@ captain sox, 10 assault termies cannot fit in a land reader crusader.

Thanks for the replies so far guys, it's really helped me out.

@ Warprat, thanks for the list advice, that was very similar to what I was thinking about.

@ breng77, i just realised that yo were right. ^_^

DA termies are great, it's just this one time when a guy at my LGS had his deathstar wiped because of the 4++'s he had to take, when 3++ would have saves him.

Those LC Teemis are pretty good swell :D

1.) Shrike infitrating 10 Assualt termies. 5 more Assault termis in a Land Raider of some sort. Minimum troop squads (many people go with minimal scouts with cammo cloaks). Season to taste.

:lol: Using Shrike this way will make me cry. Think about that before doing this ;)

Although fleeting terminators is pretty awesome...

Archived