The new 40k FAQ is up.

thade

This is not a rules query, but is still very relevant to us all here. Apparently this week they posted the new FAQ for the 40k BRB. And it's shocking - absolutely shocking to me - how many rules issues it addresses that have come up on this board over the past several months. Down right uncanny.

I smell a mole. =) And I like the way it smells.

Edit:LINK!

Meh Still the same ole common sence that we had already worked out when we first got the 5th ed rulebook...Well done GW took your time...

Not everyone saw eye to eye insofar as common sense on a lot of those frequently asked questions. I'm glad they go to it, finally.

This is not a rules query, but is still very relevant to us all here. Apparently this week they posted the new FAQ for the 40k BRB. And it's shocking - absolutely shocking to me - how many rules issues it addresses that have come up on this board over the past several months. Down right uncanny.

Is it the one with all the pink writing over it?

Perhaps we can have a link put into the OP?

Have the FAQ calls been how we have been making them?

Is it the one with all the pink writing over it?

Perhaps we can have a link put into the OP?

A link is in this thread, Ill add one to Thades post for him.

And yes, its the pink one and yes, weve been mostly correct.

Out aloud thoughts.

Q: If a unit that has gone to ground is then forced to move,

other than to fall back, do they return to normal or still

count as having gone to ground? (p24)

A: They will return to normal.

That means that when a Templar unit Goes to Ground, and takes a Righteous Zeal move [caused by one casualty] they are restored to normal.

Very useful if you are about to get shot by a ap1-3 shooting and then assaulted by that unit.

Killa Kanz for example.

Q: If a model fires a template weapon out of a vehicle, will

the vehicle be hit if it is underneath the template? (p66)

A: No it will not be hit.

But what about Baal flame storm cannons? :woot:

Q: If a transport vehicle is destroyed in the same turn as it

moved flat out what happens to any embarked models? (p70)

A: They are removed as casualties.

Spewin' for the Eldars, Orks and Bloods. They become high on the target priority list should they have moved flat-out, ja?

Q: If my Codex includes some options (or other rules) that

seem to have no effect in the new edition, are you going to

publish an errata to change them to something else that

does work?

A: No, if an option (or a rule) clearly has no effect, it simply

does nothing. We think it’s simpler to just leave it until the

next edition of the Codex rather than change its effects

through an errata.

So this means that the Templars -1 Ld test roll for target priority is now gone?

A link is in this thread, Ill add one to Thades post for him.

And yes, its the pink one and yes, weve been mostly correct.

Thank you. :woot:

*cough* I think we are 100% correct.

Its just that it hasn't coincided with what the FAQ team came up with :P

Spewin' for the Eldars, Orks and Bloods. They become high on the target priority list should they have moved flat-out, ja?

Note that it does say 'same turn' and by default this means 'player turn' (BRB pg.9) so it is only the player own actions (Ramming, difficult terrain, bad scatters and the like. It does not mean that a flat-out transport destroyed in the opponents shooting phase would auto-kill embarked units.

So this means that the Templars -1 Ld test roll for target priority is now gone?

It has been since the start of 5th. Ed.

Note that it does say 'same turn' and by default this means 'player turn' (BRB pg.9) so it is only the player own actions (Ramming, difficult terrain, bad scatters and the like. It does not mean that a flat-out transport destroyed in the opponents shooting phase would auto-kill embarked units.

It has been since the start of 5th. Ed.

Hahah!

I didn't read it well. Thank you.

+++

We Templars never played it how you said it has been. We are too honourable for our own good old chap ;)

Templar gun-line ftw! D'oh! Come on new Codex. Phil Kelly for the rules and Matt Ward for the fluff. I wanna be amazing at everything! :P

EDIT: I have forgotten the current BT FAQ

Q. Does the ‘Kill them All!’ rule mean that Ihave

to test not to fire at the closest enemy?

A. Yes, that rule still works perfectly as written,

meaning that Black Templar infantry, jump

infantry and bikes must test (with a -1 Ld

modifier!) in order not to shoot at the closest

target.

Which is a real pest.

I still want Matt Ward writing my fluff. :woot:

it does clear up alot of my scout rules..

Telion does give stealth to snipers.. thanks GW just saved me 27 points :P

LSS moving flat out that are destroyed means dead scouts..have to watch your speed lads..

scouts an use scout move to embark/disembark from scouting vehicles..

still dont know if the LSS cerberus launchers stack... thet would make my day if they covered this.

oh well cant have it all

it does clear up alot of my scout rules..

Telion does give stealth to snipers.. thanks GW just saved me 27 points ^_^

LSS moving flat out that are destroyed means dead scouts..have to watch your speed lads..

scouts an use scout move to embark/disembark from scouting vehicles..

still dont know if the LSS cerberus launchers stack... thet would make my day if they covered this.

oh well cant have it all

But we do have this:

Q: During the first turn of the game does a scout move

count as the preceding Movement phase when working

out any saves from shooting, for example the 3+ cover

save from turbo-boosting, and the to hit rolls in combat

against vehicles? (p76)

A: Yes.

So storms DO get the 4+ cover save from scout moving 24"

Strangely enough I had to check two things in FAQ's yesterday, I was sure neither of which were covered. When I looked first the 40K FAQ's were unavailable, however 15 minutes later I noticed new items I hadnt seen before (including the Telion change I was looking to disprove).

Seems like they have been listening into my conversations, I now fear every shadow is a GW lurker in disguise. Needless to say I will be trying to disprove my paranoia by asking a bunch of other rules questions I have in the comming days.

Nice to see they have finally come to a decision on Telion, not the one I expected them to make but saves us points which is cool.

Hi guys,

don't You think that point about walkers using smoke launchers should be placed in Errata section instead of FAQ?

Rulebook clearly states that smokes can be used after run (pg 72) and this document changes it...

Weird... :)

Hi guys,

don't You think that point about walkers using smoke launchers should be placed in Errata section instead of FAQ?

Rulebook clearly states that smokes can be used after run (pg 72) and this document changes it...

Weird... :lol:

No, remember, smoke is used in the movement phase. Its legal to move, smoke, run, but it is illegal to move, run, smoke.

Intersting that the BA and Wolf FAQ is missing, the rest appear to be there.

Based on this new FAQ can Logan still make drop podding long fangs relentless?

Q: If a unit is in reserve, and it has an ability that occurs at

the start of a turn can they use that ability on the turn they

arrive? (p94)

A: No. Unless specifically stated otherwise.

The wolf FAQ says he can, but its down (likely being updated).

How walkers trigger smoke is detailed on pg 72, in section: "Walkers Shooting", that's the reason why I'm assuming they can pop smoke after run (it takes place in shooting phase).

This is the part which bring all my doubts.

I think one of the main clarifications here is the effect of multiple pinning weapons in one unit causing multiple wounds on another. Finally we have it clear that if shot by a unit that has multiple pinning weapons it only causes 1 pinning test rather than many.

Good news on that front for anyone who's fallen foul of that grey area before!

How walkers trigger smoke is detailed on pg 72, in section: "Walkers Shooting", that's the reason why I'm assuming they can pop smoke after run (it takes place in shooting phase).

This is the part which bring all my doubts.

Q: Can smoke launchers be used after a walker makes a

Run! or consolidation move? (p62)

A: No, they can only be used in the Movement phase.

BRB p72: "Alternatively, they can choose to run like infantry [...] (though they can still trigger their smoke launchers, if they have any) [...]"

Indeed Khorneeq the new FAQ has changed the rule that previously allowed smoked to be used if walkers run. As such it should be an errata section as it's a change not a clarification.

@James: Note that the original Smoke Launchers rule on p62 said "after completing its move" - the movement phase itself was never specified :P.

Cheers

I

Archived