The new 40k FAQ is up.

thade

How walkers trigger smoke is detailed on pg 72, in section: "Walkers Shooting", that's the reason why I'm assuming they can pop smoke after run (it takes place in shooting phase).

This is the part which bring all my doubts.

Q: Can smoke launchers be used after a walker makes a

Run! or consolidation move? (p62)

A: No, they can only be used in the Movement phase.

BRB p72: "Alternatively, they can choose to run like infantry, and

this prevents them from firing and assaulting that turn,

as normal (though they can still trigger their smoke

launchers, if they have any)."

Indeed Khorneeq the new FAQ has changed the rule that previously allowed smoked to be used if walkers run. As such it should be an errata section as it's a change not a clarification.

It does not change the rule, although I agree that the rule was worded vaguely enough that it could give the impression that the smoke happened after the run, not before. This clarification does not prevent the use of smoke if the walker runs. So the sequence has always been move, smoke, run, move, shoot/assault.

To be clear, if your Dread runs after popping Smoke, he does not lose the benefit of having popped smoke. (No where does it make reference to locality or further movement with regards to Smoke, so you're good.)

Hmm, I told you all that a whole spankin' set of FAQ's were coming, ala WHFB style ^_^ What else do I know these days? :) :P

However I do have an issue with one of them:

Q: What happens when a unit arrives from reserves but is unable to completely move onto the board? (p94)

A: The unit is destroyed and removed from play.

So my Shadowsword arrives on the table, moves its mega 6", and then dies because its butt is hanging off the table? Nuh-uh, I'm not gonna let that fly.

This is fantastic. :wub: I hope the FAQs that are currently down are as good as the BRB FAQ. Even though there was a long time between updates, this update is huge in terms of both volume and quality. There are still some questions unanswered, but most of them could be answered in a Codex FAQ instead. I am very pleased with this. :tu:

Q: What happens when a unit arrives from reserves but is unable to completely move onto the board? (p94)

So my Shadowsword arrives on the table, moves its mega 6", and then dies because its butt is hanging off the table? Nuh-uh, I'm not gonna let that fly.

I am with you on this one. I hope I don't get Dawn of War while playing Imperial Guard, because I love Leman Russ Battle Tanks. No more coming in an hugging terrain that is close to the board edge, either. This will definitely change how I place terrain.

However I do have an issue with one of them:

It's a super-heavy. Super-heavies are not allowed to hide in the rear with the gear. Deploy it on the table from the start like it should be and you won't have to worry about this. :wub:

My first thought about the rule about moving on was the Necron monotlith. I believe that it is slightly more than 6" wide, and can only move 6". So in DOW you would have to reserve it and deep strike it for it even to make it onto the board.

It's a super-heavy. Super-heavies are not allowed to hide in the rear with the gear. Deploy it on the table from the start like it should be and you won't have to worry about this.

I would, dswanick, but I thoroughly enjoy using the special character that lets it Flank March and count as a scoring unit. Besides, shadowswords do hide in the rear until they get the perfect shot. They're the snipers of the super-heavy world.

It also means Land Raiders must move more than 6" now, no matter what. Even if they come on sideways, the sponsons make it too wide for anything 6" or less.

Intersting that the BA and Wolf FAQ is missing, the rest appear to be there.

Based on this new FAQ can Logan still make drop podding long fangs relentless?

Q: If a unit is in reserve, and it has an ability that occurs at

the start of a turn can they use that ability on the turn they

arrive? (p94)

A: No. Unless specifically stated otherwise.

The wolf FAQ says he can, but its down (likely being updated).

The Wolf FAQ is back (looks unchanged at all to me) and Logan still can use his ability the turn he comes in from reserve.

How walkers trigger smoke is detailed on pg 72, in section: "Walkers Shooting", that's the reason why I'm assuming they can pop smoke after run (it takes place in shooting phase).

This is the part which bring all my doubts.

Q: Can smoke launchers be used after a walker makes a

Run! or consolidation move? (p62)

A: No, they can only be used in the Movement phase.

BRB p72: "Alternatively, they can choose to run like infantry [...] (though they can still trigger their smoke launchers, if they have any) [...]"

Indeed Khorneeq the new FAQ has changed the rule that previously allowed smoked to be used if walkers run. As such it should be an errata section as it's a change not a clarification.

@James: Note that the original Smoke Launchers rule on p62 said "after completing its move" - the movement phase itself was never specified ;).

Cheers

I

You can still pop smoke and run, it's the order that has changed.

So, you can't Move/Run/Smoke

But you can Move/Smoke/Run

I am with you on this one. I hope I don't get Dawn of War while playing Imperial Guard, because I love Leman Russ Battle Tanks. No more coming in an hugging terrain that is close to the board edge, either. This will definitely change how I place terrain.

Thankfully, Shadowswords et all are not part of the normal game....

So, if your playing Spearhead or Apocalypse, this should be something easily resolved with your opponent.

Land raiders, valkyries, and monoliths are in normal games though, and each is more than 6" to a side; this would force them to move more than 6" or die, though the monolith has the "deepstrike or die" choice available.

Agreed. It is too harsh otherwise. I'm sure it was meant to accomodate different issues like large horde units coming in to an area where there's just not enough space for them all for some reason, but side effects may include vehicle wackiness too.

can someone explain what this means?

Q: Does an Independent Character count towards the

number of models in a squad when determining if it is

above half strength? (p48)

A: Yes he does. So if an Independent Character joined a

unit of 6 models there would need to be reduced to 2 or

less models for it to be below half strength.

Am I understanding it correctly in that the IC doesn't count for determining what is half strength for each squad but counts when checking if the squad has enough models to be considered not below half strength.

Their example, the squad of 6 needs to normally be reduced to 2 models to be below half strength. If an IC joins the squad, they (squad + IC) still needs to be reduced to 2 models to be below half strength. So if the squad of 6 is reduced to 2 + IC models, they're not below half strength but if the IC leaves the squad, the squad is infact below half strength?

EDIT: I must say, I really like this FAQ, it solves some issues I've been having, among others the moved vs. immobilised issue when assaulting vehicles.

Yeah, although in the spirit of the game, I would let the Nercon player move the Monolith on the board.

Eh monoliths can deepstrike safely, there is not a lot of reason for a monolith to ever come in from reserve in the normal fashion. Though I am all for givin necrons all the allowances possible, between the signifigant reduction in the power of glances, and their complete lack of transports in an edition where mobility is king, necrons are far below the power curve.

Archived