Fighting Orks!

MagicMan

Hey thanks again for the input.

As for weapon configurations, me and my friends dont usually worry too much about WYSIWIG, as long as we say ''Hey, everything is WYSIWYG, except that my assault squad leader has a lightning claw not a power sword, and my Chaplain has a storm bolter.'' Etc.

The Ork player for instance is the sort of guy who'll play with Ork Boys without the heads stuck on and etc. :(

Ive managed to convince him to go along with a painting challenge with me, though. Start at 500 Points for the first month, do 250 for each month after. Can only play with painted models. So should be good, anyway im rambling...

For the sake of me liking to choose the stuff i have...

Terms : 2 Assault Cannons 1 Heavy Flamer

Tacs : 1 Flamer, 1 Plasma Gun, 2 Missile Launchers.

Assault : 2 flamers, 2 powerswords. (I originally set them up to be two 5 man squads)

Scouts : 4 Snipers, one missile.

Dread : Multi-Melta, CC Weapon + Heavy Flamer.

Generally i split the Tacs up into 5 guys with missile, and 4 guys with other weapon + Sergeant. The missile dudes stay back while the other group runs around doing things.

The assault squad i generally either deepstrike or keep back to support my Tacticals, making sure i get the charge.

The terms i generally use to crack the toughest nut, or deepstrike and clear objectives.

They generally do really well.

The scouts have mixed success..

Scouts do tend to have a mixed success in killing things, but if you give them the role of objective sitters and equip them for that job (snipers and camo cloaks), they tend to do just fine B).

As for your list and tactics, in my experience 5 man Tactical squads die quickly to Orks and don't put much of a dent in them, but then again you do keep your heavy weapons shooting for longer. If you can find ways to get a power fist on one of the assault squads (combine the other with it for 10 men, assault squads perform better as 10 men), cyclones for the Terminator squad, you have a good base, needing just a couple of Rhinos, and possibly a Drop Pod or autocannons for the Dread.

However, assault cannons can still work well in Terminator squads, and they look awesome, so I wouldn't blame you for wanted to keep them. Against Orks deep striking helps you get side or rear armour (not that you need it), and 8 assault cannon shots backed up by 8 storm bolter will put a dent in an Ork unit. At the moment, I'd keep your Tactical squads back, alongside the Terminators, while the Dread and Assault squads remain behind. Missile launchers destroy truks, Termys mince troops, snipers do what they want (objective sitting, bait, distraction, pinning annoyance). Assault squad and Dreadnought are counter-attack with flamers and CC attacks, and allow you take the heat off your Tacticals. Let the Termys join in with this if the squad is small enough, those power fists will shift some Orks.

O and good luck with the painting challenge :).

@Jakelope King

I hope my ork opponents buy ard case for battle wagons, open topped means that what ever is inside can assault out of the vehicle. Usually Ork players will opt for a Big mek + kustom force field so they always have a 4+ cover save on those battle wagons. But yes orks don't deal well with Land Raiders at range. However, Marines don't deal well with orks up close in most cases. Yes TH/SS Termies can deal with Nobs (most of the time) but then you run into the same issue of having an expensive hammer unit (at least if you want a land raider in addition).

@Jakelope King

I hope my ork opponents buy ard case for battle wagons, open topped means that what ever is inside can assault out of the vehicle. Usually Ork players will opt for a Big mek + kustom force field so they always have a 4+ cover save on those battle wagons. But yes orks don't deal well with Land Raiders at range. However, Marines don't deal well with orks up close in most cases. Yes TH/SS Termies can deal with Nobs (most of the time) but then you run into the same issue of having an expensive hammer unit (at least if you want a land raider in addition).

I really did use to think the same way about open-topped. I was jealous that Orks got so many open-topped vehicles they could assault out of. Then we read the main rulebook a little more and found out that open-topped vehicles were much easier to damage.

And that's why I'm not afraid of Orks at close range: if I do my job right of whacking their transports, they'll never survive to get to close range. That KFF is a massive chunk of Ork vehicular durability. As with all linchpins, it's risky. Pop or even just slow the Mek's ride and you've force the Ork player to decide between staying in cover or launching an assault. Taking a big Mek further compromises Ork offense by denying them the ability to take a Nob Squad as troops, leaving an Ork player to choose between Nobs and Lootaz. Lootaz and Big Gunz are pretty much the extent of Orky long-ranged firepower. All flavors of Marines have them beat soundly in that regard.

As I've already said, you play the army your opponent brings, and to heck with whatever tiers the internet has decided on. But there are scant few options Orks can bring to deal with enemies at range or heavily-armored vehicles, and they have severe mobility problems. An Ork player crosses his fingers and hopes that he can get enough models across the table fast enough before the other player has a chance to establish a control. And with rickety vehicles, it's a real gambit. Orks caught without vehicles die, and their vehicles die really easily.

I guess we have different experiences with orks. Most of the time a good portion to the ork force in any game I seen is able to hit the enemy lines, on turn 2. Between AV 14 and a 4+ cover save, battle wagons are not all that easy to stop, especially when you are facing 4+ of them. Furthermore most people I have seen take the Big mek and a Warboss of some sort so they still get nobs as troops.

Orks don't really need a lot of ranged support, as they are ridiculously numerous and can cross the width of the table in two turns, tying up most if not all of your force in assault. That said, they do have decent ranged support with Kanz and Lootas, not to mention that their missile launchers can be fired on the move. Their sucky BS skill does not detract at all from the sheer volume of shots they can put out.

Wound-allocated Nobz. If you have not seen these things in action, you have not known broken in Warhammer 40k. If you don't have TH/SS Terminators, they will be a nightmare. If you do have them, your TH/SS Cheesinators will have their hands full.

They are extremely hard to take down without a unit or two that's specialized to do so. Between the wound allocation bouncing, FNP, and Kustom Force Field cover save shenanigans, they can soak an unreasonable amount of anti-vehicle fire. They are a compelling reason to field Hammernators.

Keep shooting. Missiles are nice here. Block with screening units, and feed him combat squads of Tactical Marines if necessary, then after he wipes them out in a turn, pour more missile and melta shots into the squad. Proper blocking is key to dealing with Rock units.

Keep shooting. Missiles are nice here. Block with screening units, and feed him combat squads of Tactical Marines if necessary, then after he wipes them out in a turn, pour more missile and melta shots into the squad. Proper blocking is key to dealing with Rock units.

This is true, but the part about "Feeding it [scoring units]" is what gets me about them. Wearing them down by sacrificing units is one thing. Taking them out before they make more than their points back is the trick. Should be easy, considering how much they cost, but their durability is a force to be reckoned with.

The term "shenanigans" sums it up nicely. I just played a tournament with a new Ork army and singlehandedly won 2 games just through nob shenanigans. With all the tricks they can play, they are very very durable. Still, with any high end unit, the trick lies in having a plan to deal with them. If you just show up to the table and play your normal game you may get caught out by a super unit. But if you get to analyse the lists ahead of time, and you see there is a unit like this in their army, you should be able to come up with a plan. Something like: "Stop the transport, shoot them, feed them, repeat" should work.

-Myst

Archived