Quickie close combat Q

Seahawk

Say a dude has the following:

- Bolt pistol (or equivalent Pistol)

- Close Combat Weapon

- Power Fist

I see two combinations there for usage: BP + CCW and BP/CCW + Power Fist. Since you have the extra weapon, can you choose to attack with the two normal CCWs instead of the power fist and thus gain the benefits (striking at I and the extra A but no power or double S)?

If it was a power weapon instead of a normal CCW then I would say yes, he can pick the two weapons he will fight with, which will either be the bolt pistol and the power weapon or the powerfist with any of the remaining two (does not matter, as he will not be getting the additional attack in that case anyway). The rules for weapons on page 42 are written specifically for models with two weapons, so my interpretation is that a model with more weapons ppick the two they are using for each turn.

However, the rules for "who can fight" on page 35 specify that models will allways use the maximum number of attack and also use special close combat attacks if they can. So I would say if a model has a bolt pistol, close combat weapon and power fist, it will allways attack with the power fist. If it was a power weapon, that also counts as a special close combat attack, so the model could then opt to use the power weapon together with a pistol.

You might say that in case a model chose to strike with a power fist it would have fewer attacks, so this would be against the rules for "who can fight", which state that a model will allways fight with their full number of attacks. However, there are other instances where a model's attacks will be reduced in case it opted to use a ceratin special attack, such as when a model is using grenades against a vehicle. I would interprete the "use full number of attacks" as using the maximum attacks possible with the chosen weapon. The model cannot chose to attack fewer times or to not attack at all, but it can decide which weapon to use, according to the rules for multiple weapons.

I remember something about always having to use a special close combat weapon if equipped with one, but since I do not have the BRB with me I cannot quote it. If no one has posted it already, I will look it up and quote the relevant section when I have the BRB on hand.

[EDIT] Nevermind, thanks Legatus! :)

Archived