Blood Angel techmarines & servitors

shatter

Upgrades for C:BA techmarines at the back of the book has options to swap servo arm for jump packs or servo-harnesses.

The servo harness wargear entry (p58) states it gives the "techmarine blah" benefits.

jump pack entry states "model"

servitors have servo arms.

RAW vs RAI issues?

Jump packs possible for servitors?

Harnesses?

I think it is probably an oversight in the phrasing of the option, but if anyone wants to pay 15 points for what is essentially a guardsman with carapace armour, a jump pack and no weapons he can be my guest.

The Harness entry specifically describes it as a Techmarine upgrade, as you said.

It doesn't say it's specifically for or only for techmarines, only that it affects a techmarine (wearing one) as the rules specify.

I don't believe it was intended otherwise, of course... as it goes against heritage expectations.

But getting back to the point, sensible or not, balanced or not, reckon servitor jps and harness 'upgrades' should be FAQ-ed?

Yes, it does not mention any particular person in the unit being allowed, or disallowed, from taking the jump pack or the servoharness. RAW you could get servitors with servo-harnesses for 40pts a pop it appears. This intepretation would allow themto take power weapons or thunderhammers on the servitors aswell.

Though I also think its pretty clear thats not the RAI. Note that some options in that section allow you to exchange your boltgun for something.... servitors have no bolter.

So, while you might be able to convince people of it, and grammatically youd be correct it appears, Id call shenanigans.

The ability to give servitors power weapons and free jumppacks is a big deal IMO. For 30pts a pop you have power sworded flying space marine scouts as a retinue basically.

EDIT: Also I disagree that this is not RAI at all! In the techmarine entry on pp. 39, under Blessing of the Omnissiah it reads:

"Each servitor with a servo-arm in the unit +1"

Which clearly indicates servitors without servo-arms are possible, hence the servo-arm on the servitor can be swapped. But then, I'll give you that they may have been only referencing the heavy weapon upgrades..

But still, it's a FUN loophole.

I'm 100% sure it wasn't intended as the servitor purchase option is at the bottom of the list followed by upgrades specific to them and only them. If their (heavy weapon) options had been slightly indented, it would've been pretty clear especially considering the title of the entry is Techmarine and not Servitor Squad.

Still, one kind of needs a well practiced codex eye to know this. Not good.

Oh well.

Archived