3rd Company, Desolation Knights

Siege40k

As the post above states, I would like some help picking up a color scheme, and a basing scheme from you gents here on these wonderful boards.

I just watched Spamalot live last night for the first time and I really enjoyed the quote from Patsy about "You just don't say that to a heavily armed Christian."

I am going for a regal looking, proud chapter. But all the color scheme's I have put together look like pre-existing Chapters, please help!

Here are the pictures of my captain model, he is heavily kit-bashed.

http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad15/Siege40k/226987ad.jpg

I have updated the thread name, the captain still has no paint. Pics down below!

Thats a cool model. Not sure if I dig the fur cape though. But it is a pretty awesome kitbash.

I can't say much about paint scheme. But for your shoulderpads, you could quarter colors like yellow and orange, like the Howling Griffons. I think that they look quite regal. The quartering of color remind me of coat of arms from the Medieval times.

I can't really make my mind up about the fur cape, cuz on one side, it doesn't fit his angel-esque theme with all the wings and haloes and laurels, but I like the idea of him having slain some great lion on his home planet or something like that.. I dunno, in the end I don't think it really fits. I agree with Shorts on quartering the pauldrons but I don't think the Howling Griffons' yellow and red colour scheme is especially regal-looking. More like the royal jester. Blue and red, blue white and red, blue and white, yellow and black or dark green and gold are pretty knightly colour combinations in my opinion. Can't wait for painted marines! :D

C&C please. The model has gray on the forearms and shins, snot green on the torso, thighs, and upper arms and shoulder pads. I will post some back-story right now for these gents but I would also like to get your opinion specifically on a few things.

Should I stick with the traditional red bolter? or would a blue or other color casing be better?

Do you like the steel sword or should I do a cool power weapon and maybe some OSL?

I used blue as a highlight color b/c I wanted to avoid red (and the obvious Christmas references) but I'm not a huge fan, any ideas?

I would love a good face recipe for marines, as I usually paint high elves (given the blond hair what did you expect?)

Tips on highlighting gray would be super!

Thanks again for reading and replying!

Brother-Sergeant Artur, 5th squad, 3rd Company, Desolation Knights

http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad15/Siege40k/03c0389d.jpg

http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad15/Siege40k/808e15e9.jpg

http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad15/Siege40k/e428ea9d.jpg

http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad15/Siege40k/5c481db4.jpg

The chapter symbol is supposed to be a crumbling tower, this is only done so so.... I would REALLY REALLY like some help with that, I am going to try a mold tonight and see what I can come up with.

http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad15/Siege40k/cdd66950.jpg

thanks! (and sorry for pics)

Firstly I love the colours you have used...except for the gray. If it were me I'd stick to the green, bone and orange.

Should I stick with the traditional red bolter? or would a blue or other color casing be better?

Hell no. Stick to black / silver.

I used blue as a highlight color b/c I wanted to avoid red (and the obvious Christmas references) but I'm not a huge fan, any ideas?

I don't mind the blue but bone would look good too. (purity seals suck huh...I have no idea here, maybe orange).

Do you like the steel sword or should I do a cool power weapon and maybe some OSL?

Steel works for me, will fit if you go for steel bolters too.

I would love a good face recipe for marines, as I usually paint high elves (given the blond hair what did you expect?)

Why your face looks fine.

Tips on highlighting gray would be super!

Lose the gray :cuss

At the end of the day beauty is in the eye of the beholder and what works for me proberbly won't for everyone else. Your painting is crisp and neat, and your blacklining is awesome and that will make for excellent minitures no matter what colours you run.

Wow...nice work man. The red bolter is the only thing really killing the look for me: other than the gold, you have a whole lot of cool colors with a bright warm color smack in the middle of the model. The green/gray/bone with little touches of blue and gold is already going to be a fairly tricky palette to balance :cuss . I would avoid using either gold or blue for the bolter though, seeing how they are playing a more subtle accessory role than gray, green, and bone.

As for the tower symbol, maybe try adding two smaller, shorter towers on either side of the central spire, something like i.I.i but crumbling. If you do go that way, just make sure the two flanking pillars aren't symmetrical.

The chapter symbol is supposed to be a crumbling tower, this is only done so so.... I would REALLY REALLY like some help with that, I am going to try a mold tonight and see what I can come up with.

I think a Crumbling tower is a little to elaborate to be a "good chapter Symbol"

maybe want to go with a broken "chivalry symbol" like a broken spear or a broken shield.

my opinion :lol:

maybe not crumbling but simply broken? Or you could do it with the top part clearly falling...

concernig the colour scheme: i like the green/gray. bone is cool too as some minor blue details, but the red is ruining the mix IMHO. You could go for the classic black/boltgun bolter, or try the bone on the bolter.

Maybe though blue and bone are too much, maybe go only for one of the two?

Also a darker skin colour could be good...that's too, you know, "elf-ish"...:lol:

Archived