Vehicle Squadrons damage rolls

DarkGuard

OK then, I checked the new FAQ, didn't find the answer, checked the rulebook, seemed a but ambiguous to me, and couldn't find a specific answer on this forum for it (though my search-fu is normally very weak). So here's the question:

Say my rifleman Dreadnought shot at a 2 man Squadron, be it War Walkers, Killa Kans or Speeders, and scored 2 penetrating hits and 1 glancing. My opponent allocates two penetrating hits to one vehicle, and the glancing to another, he has no cover saves to take. I therefore roll the two penetrating hits for the first vehicle, and score a 2 and a 5. Quick check tells me the 2 is downgraded to a shaken result as per vehicle squadron rules, but the 5 destroys his vehicle, excellent! I then proceed to roll the glancing hit on the other vehicle, and roll a 6. Checking the rules again, I find it's downgraded to an immobilised hit as I only glanced the vehicle, but wait.... I stop.

Now according to page 64 of the rulebook, immobilised results in vehicle squadrons count as vehicle destroyed as the vehicle is abandoned. However, once the squadron is reduced to one vehicle, it undergoes normal vehicle damage table rules, meaning the immobilised result will just be immobilised. Now when I rolled the die, there was technically only the one vehicle left. However, when I originally started shooting at the unit with my rifleman, there was two in the squadron. Now the rules say that 'if a squadron consists of a single vehicle when the enemy unit fires at it', so by my reasoning it was multiple vehicles when I was firing at it, meaning that the immobilized will be a wrecked result. However, I'd imagine some people may argue against this, pointing out that there was only one vehicle when I rolled the glancing hit for it.

Sorry if this question is quite simply answered, and that I may be reading too much into it. It's just that we may start coming into vehicle squadrons at our LGS (normally there aren't many of them around), and I myself may start using them at some point, so I want to have a good argument for the 'correct' answer in case this gets disputed.

Thanks in advance.

Although I would find it more logical if you looked at the state of the squadron at the end of teh shooting phase to determine whether immobalised vehicles are abandoned, I think a strict interpretation of the rules would be that it is the status of the squadron at the moment th eenemy unit choses to fire at it that counts.

E.G. A squadron of two vehicles is fired at by enemy unit A, one vehicle suffers a "destroyed" result while the other vehicle suffers a "stunned" result. Even though the stunned vehicle is now alone, when the enemy unit chose to fire at it it had belonged to a squadron, so squadron damage is applied, and the "stunned" result is changed to "shaken".

Now the surviving vehicle is fired at by enemy unit B, and it suffers a "immobalised" and a "stunned" result. Because it was a single vehicle when the enemy unit chose to fire at it, now the regular damage for single vehicles is applied, and the vehicle is stunned an immobalised.

That's pretty much how I interpreted it. If those 3 hits were from different units then just immobilised, but as they were from the same unit's shooting, then they have to follow the squadron rules for the damage table. Thanks for the support guys B)

As was said, shooting from one unit is simultaneous. So it technically happens at the same time and thus you use the squadron damage table. If you had more than one color dice you could roll them all together.

The shot all hit at the same time so an 'Immobilised' result is upgraded to destroyed.

Having said that, my friends and I tend to let a single left over vehicle be immobilised as it makes slightly more sense given the reasoning behind upgrading the immobilised to destroyed...

Archived