Kill team what to take

Crazy Eight

As the title suggests id like you're insight and suggestions on what to take .

Im thinking of taking a 6 man stern guard squad with

1* Sargent power weapon bolter furious assault

1* heavy bolter relentless

1*plasma gun infiltrate

2*boltun combi plas

1*boltgun combi melta

drop pod

Looks good. I have a similar game next week and sternguard jumped out as the obvious choice. Why have you got a drop pod though?

Yeah not a huge amount of point that I can see in the drop pod, especialy as only one model would be able to use it due to the rules of kill teams, its esentialy just an expensive storm bolter that cant fire the turn it comes into play. A razorback or more sternguard would be superior choices.

Also a single lightning claw tends to be superior to a power weapon+pistol, and is DEFINATLY supeior to a power weapon + bolter

Also you are 30 points over the 200 point limit for a kill team game

As the title suggests id like you're insight and suggestions on what to take .

Im thinking of taking a 6 man stern guard squad with

1* Sargent power weapon bolter furious assault

1* heavy bolter relentless

1*plasma gun infiltrate

2*boltun combi plas

1*boltgun combi melta

drop pod

I would take a tactical squad over sternguard... the model count here is low and no harder to kill than a tactical squad.

Or do all eggs in one basket and take a ven dread with tank hunter.

Oh yes im over lol didnt do the maths right .

Stern guard are the far superior killers since there different ammo types and the fact that ever model can have a special weapon be it a combi version its still better than a standard tac squad in my book .

I had toyed with the idea of just taking a land speeder squadron since they all count as individual for the purpose of kill team .

Why is 1 lightning claw better than a power weapon since u dont get no rerolls with just 1 lightning claw and it cost the same as a power weapon . i can see where ur coming from with the bolter though .

Why is 1 lightning claw better than a power weapon since u dont get no rerolls with just 1 lightning claw and it cost the same as a power weapon . i can see where ur coming from with the bolter though .

One lightning claw does indeed give a re-roll. It gains all its special rules, the only thing it doesn't get is +1 A for having two CCW, unless you have two lightning claws. Since a bolter isn't a CCW to start with this won't affect the lightning claw while the power weapon would essentially 'lose' one attack as it isn't coupled with a boltpistol.

Sternguard are tempting, but I've found that they really aren't that good on the field. With lots of cover, it becomes harder to win by shooting and moving into CC doesn't lock down as many models since each acts separately.

With C:SM you run into a good bit of difficulty putting together a decently competitive list because you have very few useful options. Tactical squads suck down all of your points to take 10 so you can even get the heavy and special weapons while leaving you with little mobility and firepower. Sternguard gets around some of these but you end up with very low model count with no better saves than tacticals. Dreads and tech marines are pretty much out too as are vanguard. That leaves you with Assault Marines which are expensive but give you better mobility; Scouts, which are cheap and give you some nice cover options; Speeders or bikes.

Bike squad

Sgt +Power Weapon

3x bikes (2x plasma gun)

Attack Bike

Attack Bike Squad

3x bikes 120

Scout Squad (5x sniper + melta bombs) 80

either gives a good mobile element and decent firepower. I like the top one a bit better because it has a power weapon and the plasma guns but the lower one has merit. Unfortunately, I hate marine bikes so I've been toying with something like this:

Scout Squad (5x sniper, melta bombs) 80

Land Speeder Squad

Land Speeder + MM (60)

Land Speeder + HF (60)

Combat squad (90)

Razorback (40)

Landspeeder +MM (70)

The lower one performed alright though mainly because the speeder took out several models before going down but I don't think either are as strong as bike lists with the auto relentless and +1T.

Sternguard are tempting, but I've found that they really aren't that good on the field. With lots of cover, it becomes harder to win by shooting and moving into CC doesn't lock down as many models since each acts separately.

With C:SM you run into a good bit of difficulty putting together a decently competitive list because you have very few useful options. Tactical squads suck down all of your points to take 10 so you can even get the heavy and special weapons while leaving you with little mobility and firepower. Sternguard gets around some of these but you end up with very low model count with no better saves than tacticals. Dreads and tech marines are pretty much out too as are vanguard. That leaves you with Assault Marines which are expensive but give you better mobility; Scouts, which are cheap and give you some nice cover options; Speeders or bikes.

Bike squad

Sgt +Power Weapon

3x bikes (2x plasma gun)

Attack Bike

Attack Bike Squad

3x bikes 120

Scout Squad (5x sniper + melta bombs) 80

either gives a good mobile element and decent firepower. I like the top one a bit better because it has a power weapon and the plasma guns but the lower one has merit. Unfortunately, I hate marine bikes so I've been toying with something like this:

Scout Squad (5x sniper, melta bombs) 80

Land Speeder Squad

Land Speeder + MM (60)

Land Speeder + HF (60)

Combat squad (90)

Razorback (40)

Landspeeder +MM (70)

The lower one performed alright though mainly because the speeder took out several models before going down but I don't think either are as strong as bike lists with the auto relentless and +1T.

You got to be carefull with vehicle heavy kill teams though. Remember when your model count falls to half, the player takes a ld test based on the highest ld characteristic of their models. If you whip out the standard models and leave only vehicles he will automaticly fail, as vehicles do not have a Ld value. Remember the special rules of the models dont mater, as its the player making the ld test not the model in this case.

Well, bikes aren't technically vehicles and they give better durability under most KT situations and high mobility without loss of firepower. When you figure that you are getting 10-11 models if you take a full tactical squad, you are are looking at 5-6 models before taking that test. The mixed attack bike and scout list has 8 models on the table which makes it only one model different than taking all tacticals to start taking that test while bringing far better firepower and has one wound better than a tactical squad. Since most of those wounds are attack bikes which have two wounds it makes it harder to remove each model to boot.

On vehicle heavy lists. With the amount of terrain you are supposed to use, it's pretty easy to ensure that you've got at least one infantry model still there when you start taking those ld tests. Of course if you are down to that few models they you've got other problems.

Archived