Ultramarine Tactical Squad w/ Rhino

zyxw

This is my first tactical squad, they were my first models painted, about a year ago, although the Rhino was painted very recently.

For the Rhino, I was trying to get the feel of a revered and ancient machine, covered in litanies and blessings, and a mural on the side honouring a hero.

gallery_57874_5389_167734.jpg

gallery_57874_5389_222968.jpg

gallery_57874_5389_27128.jpg

gallery_57874_5389_141839.jpg

This was a little exercise in freehand, I think it turned out quite well

gallery_57874_5389_120112.jpg

gallery_57874_5389_77636.jpg

I don't really like the Aquilla, the wings look odd.

gallery_57874_5389_111484.jpg

gallery_57874_5389_107093.jpg

I cannot claim credit for the figures on top, I saw them on a Land Raider, but I have no idea where.

gallery_57874_5389_125783.jpg

gallery_57874_5389_140323.jpg

Wow. I have to admit, I *am* a fan of liturgy; but this is over the top. Your freehand's kinda nice, though of course you might need some more practice. But painting miniatures is learning by doing, and to be honest, I wouldn't dare to give it a try (I'd waste my lads).

As for your hightlights... Those on the rhino are sweet, decent and yet well-visible.

But those on the infantry... harsh!

Also, I can see some mould lines on the legs (I for one don't care, but there are many guys round here really disliking those).

Okay. Seems like I pretty much nullified your every effort, huh?

Didn't mean to be an @$$, and that's why I have to say: for your first miniatures, these are awesome!

When I tried my first freehand, it was hardly more than a sketch with a pen.

Keep up the good work and practice, practice, practice, for you seem pretty talented and might one day win a golden daemon. I'm pretty confident ^^

Man that Rhino is BUSY! Alot going on here, my advice, all artist need to learn to edit. Less is more, that being said I really think the cloaked figures on the top look fantastic as well as the mural on the side. There is so much going on that the best parts of the mini are almost lost, keep up the good work and try to spread all those ideas in your head out over a couple of models and not pile them up all on one. looking forward to the next post.

Thanks for the input!

I do agree that the writing is a bit too much.

I do plan to paint over some of it, which sections do you recomend I keep?

I was thinking of leaving writing on the top hatch, the back hatch, and in the recesses on the side and front.

Archived