Scouts, Storms and Reserves

Valkyrion

I have a squad of 10 scouts and Land Speeder Storm in reserve.

They are both made available at the same time.

Can I Deep Strike the Storm with 5 Scouts and Outflank with the remaining 5 using the combat squad rule?

The rule says the decision to form combat squads must be made at deployment.

Thanks

No, it says you Combat Squad when deploying them, when they are placed on the table.

Putting a unit in reserve is not deploying them. BRB pg.94 "players may choose not to deploy one or more of the units in their army and instead leave them in reserve."

Since the LS Storm can hold only 5 models the 10 man squad could not be embarked.

Also the entire squad has to be either outflanking or coming in from reserves, one roll, once on the table you can split them.

Squads can only combat team from Drop pods if in reserve sorry scout's

EMBARKED squads can only be combat squaded from drop pods (or super heavy transports for our apocolypse players). Units that are not embarked in a transport may combat squad when they come in from reserves.

Wait, are you saying that if a unit is combat-squadded at deployment then NEITHER unit can deploy in a transport? Or is that only the case if you wish to leave the unit in question in reserves?

EMBARKED squads can only be combat squaded from drop pods (or super heavy transports for our apocolypse players). Units that are not embarked in a transport may combat squad when they come in from reserves.

Wait, are you saying that if a unit is combat-squadded at deployment then NEITHER unit can deploy in a transport? Or is that only the case if you wish to leave the unit in question in reserves?

I have found nothing that would prevent a unit using the Combat Squad rule from deploying in a transport. I think Frosty may be saying that you may not use the Combat Squad rule on a unit of Tactical Marines and still embark all ten of them in one transport, because they are now considered two separate units; a squad deployed in a Drop Pod is the only time in Codex: Space Marines a unit may use the Combat Squad rule when disembarking from a transport.

[EDIT: I fail at capitalization and standardizing plurals.]

I have found nothing that would prevent a unit using the Combat Squad rule from deploying in a transport. I think Frosty may be saying that you may not use the Combat Squad rule on a unit of Tactical Marines and still embark all ten of them in one transport, because they are now considered two separate units; a squad deployed in a Drop Pod is the only time in Codex: Space Marines a unit may use the Combat Squad rule when disembarking from a transport.

[EDIT: I fail at capitalization and standardizing plurals.]

There is nothing in the rules that let any squad hop in a transport just because they both happen to arrive at the same time. The only way to come in from reserves in a transport is for that to have been declared when the unit was placed in reserves. Because the unit is not yet deployed, it can't split into combat squads.

Also, if you have a unit of scouts in reserve and say they are going to outflank, then the entire unit must outflank even if you split them.

woops, yeah, only ment if you wish to leave them in reserves, could have sworn I mentioned that, sorry. The deployment phase is a little more liquid and you can combat squad and embark at that time. Reserves have their own rules (explained well by reglor) that prevent that.

Archived