anyone willing to check my strategy on this?

7Thunders

Ok. Listed below is my desperate attempt to try

and play this game on my terms :huh: followed by what

i am trying to do. So here is the list:

pedro kantor

10 tacs with power fist/ melta gun

10 tacs with flamer/heavy bolter sgt. Has 2 plasma pistols

vindicator/siege shield

vindicator/siege shield

tri-las predator.

10 sternguard 2/combi-plasma. 2/combimelta

dreadnought (blackreach one)

2 rhinos

drop pod.

now i am just trying to keep it simple.

I move up 6 inches and proceed to start "shelling the hell"

out of evry thing i see. :P

the tacs bring up the left and right rea flanks in their rhinos.

the dread brings up center rear. Meanwhile pedro and the sternguard

drop in just out of harms way of an objective and start fighting untill

one of the tac units can get there to give aid.

i proxied some of this stuff. The army seems to do real well,

except for one thing.

the moment anyone can get behind me. I am doomed.

Anyway i can fix this?

thanks.

Why does the sarge in 1 squad have 2 plasma pistols (he cannot fire both of them). I would say to drop one and add a heavy weapon to the tactical squad that does not have one.

Because people know not to mess with you when you care so little for your life that you use not one but two plasma weapons... and he has survived long enough to be a sgt...

Keep something back.... Tactical Squad in rhino seems perfectly suited to run behind a vindicator. There is no real point to them running on the flanks (unless you mean 1" away from side armor of vindicator). Rhino behind a vindicator would allow it to get a cover save, and would be available to respond to any rear area threats.

Also, at the beginning of the game, take a look at what they have in reserve, what's fast, what they have that has some way to get behind you... and have a plan to deal with that stuff. Your army is very similar to mine, and I like to run a rhino near a vindicator to protect rear/side armor. Dred can work well in combination too. Dred walking near a vindicator would be able to respond to any rear threats just as a rhino tac squad would.

-Myst

Honestly you are doomed from the start if you are trying to stick to plan A against everyone.

Its a good idea to have a plan and an idea of what each unit is good at but being hard headed and sticking to this plan each and every time will mean you end up losing each game because you dont adapt and the enemy does.

Your plan should differ according the the following:

Terrain Setup

Deployment (both type and analysing theirs and yours)

Mission

Objective placement

Opponents army

Opponents playing style (either percieved through lookign at their list or known if they are a regular opponent)

Im sure there are others but these are the main ones.

Sadly it looks like you are trying to shoehorn your tactic into every situation, if you dont want to be adaptive maybe this isnt the game for you.

Waaaania hit this on the head. You cannot guarantee that you can keep your enemy from getting behind you. Tyranids, marine drop pods, and BA DSing jump troops will have no trouble at all getting behind you. Adaption is a huge element in this game.

DSing the Sternguard in by themselves isn't how I would play it, as any unit on it's own will get eaten.

Anyway, shelling is good, but your artillery is mobile for a reason: keep em moving, trying to keep it such that your opponent must also move and you cut off what of theirs can and can't reach you each turn. Try to ground their transports. Turn your tanks so as not to expose rear armor. If they get behind you, maybe you can change what "behind you" means. Move 12", adjust your facing, and use those smoke launchers. If the DS in a lot of infantry, consider disembarking your marines for that turn and either shoot them up or tie them up in an assault.

Also, the carrying capacity on that drop pod is ten models: ten sternguard + one pedro = does not fit in it ;) a

C:SM drop pods hold 12 mans. Your pods only hold 10 guys because you filled up two spots with hair gel and glitter for your sparkly vampires. The wolves lose two spots because of the kegerator. ;)

Also, the carrying capacity on that drop pod is ten models: ten sternguard + one pedro = does not fit in it ;) a

C:SM drop pods hold 12 mans. Your pods only hold 10 guys because you filled up two spots with hair gel and glitter for your sparkly vampires. The wolves lose two spots because of the kegerator. ;)

Chalk that up to another thing I miss from my former codex. I'll edit that out of my post to allay confusion.

We all have different capacities because GW are moronic and cant figure out that because they own the licensing on their own rules they can change them at any time they want across the whole fleet. Why they carry on this stupidity of having the same thing do different things depending on what book you buy, honestly I dont know why they keep this stupidity of "Oh its printed we cant change it now".

Drop pods make more sense to have a capacity of 10 from the models perspective and 12 from a gaming perspective (allowing attached leaders). Why cant they just figure out which one and be consistent? How this company continues to be the top of the food chain is beyond me.

/rant

Thanks guys for all of the responses. :(

since posting this, i have been playing around

with the list some.

i changed out the vindicators for :

2 thunderfire cannons.+ a bike squad

with attack bike attached.

this worked quite well. :yes: in fact it worked

real well. The bikes gave some mobility

that i was needing.i never even considered

adding any sort of fast attack slot to the force.

but it helped to handle threats to my backside.

I still have the tri las pred in the list. But am thinking

about dropping it to make some room for my

Godhammer or redeemer.

I think the drop pod rules are fair enough, i mean divergent space marines already get loads of bonuses, at least this way we're ahead with our drop pods. I know it doesn't make much sense, but it is balanced more this way

Rumour has it that the capacity issue was caused because GW fluffed it up in C:Space Marine and fixed it in the following codices. Im sure balance had nothing to do with it and any balance effects are purely coincidental.

Rumour has it that the capacity issue was caused because GW fluffed it up in C:Space Marine and fixed it in the following codices. Im sure balance had nothing to do with it and any balance effects are purely coincidental.

Would be nice if they'd FAQ this. Ah well.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were a mistake, though I prefer to think that the extra spaces in those divergent drop pods are filled with the extra rules :)

It allows regular marines to pull some combos that give them the edge on their divergent counterparts. Whether they meant it to happen or not, I think that it's not a bad thing..

As for the Pods...the current model is 5-sided, room for 10 marines. If playing wholly WYSIWYG, it would be a mess. I'd assume that just as most players do not have a dreadpod, some marine chapters use 10 seater pods, and some use 12 seaters. And SWs of course have 5-seaters for those teleport-challenged terminators....

As for the original post - GW codex testers in the past foreshadowed having armies with 3 vidicators and 3 full assault squads running in teams - but I've yet to see anyone really run it as the core for their force using the regular dex (although there are likely BA and SW players doing it). Jump pack assault squads use the vindi for cover, and wipe out units the vindi damages as they advance, tactical squads cover the rear, as they move on to the objectives...The BAs could do this best, since their vindis are fast, and regular assault squads are troops.

Waaaaan is spot-on - Marine armies need to focus on the mission to win, not running and gunning the same way every game.

Archived