First Models Ever

demio

I think I agree with Verpine that you have downplayed your previous model experience a tad as these are very well done ;), only thing I can spot that could use some touch up is the eyes, could use some lighter tones maybe even take it all the way up to white to make the look more glowy rather than solid looking green, other than that they look great, hope to see more soon :HQ:.

These are great for your first work, you must have some talent.

Only thing i could really critique (and it may be deliberate weathering) was that the bone looked a little streaky, as if the paints hadn't been watered. But its hard to tell from the slightly blurry picture so i could be wrong!

cheers for the coments guys ill try making the eyes a bit brighter see how it goes and yea the armor is ment to be streaky but couldnt get any better pics sorry.

i can assure you they are all my models <_< and if you dont believe me that there my first completed models then i have to say thanks ill take it as a compliment and ill post the whole squad when there finished

i have to say i do know an art student who picked up a model to paint (Wood Elf Queen Ariel) cause she fancied a go.... and it damn near put me to shame... her butterfly wings were phenomenal....

however, if these truly are your first models, then you sure as hell have a talent. i've never seen a first time painter go with the whole glowing eyes effect, the weathering, the chipping, the custom bases.....

Why do I have a small feeling these are Dezartfox's and not yours? :P

Dezartfox uses different bases ;)

"My Client asked me to do the regular textured base and then to build one that was similar to the Space Hulk decking I did once before with my Space Hulk models."

I'm calling shenanigans on this. Just look at his terminator. I doubt this is a coincidence.

Why do I have a small feeling these are Dezartfox's and not yours? :HQ:

Dezartfox uses different bases :D

"My Client asked me to do the regular textured base and then to build one that was similar to the Space Hulk decking I did once before with my Space Hulk models."

I'm calling shenanigans on this. Just look at his terminator. I doubt this is a coincidence.

The two styles are different, so it definetly looks like two different painters (dirtiness and note how the Termi-camera is painted). Though I wouldn't be suprised if one was inspired by the other.

Well, whoever painted them knows what he's doing :lol: .

Was a bit of a slap in the face opening this thread though: "Oh here we go again, another time around the 'thin your paints, white's a pain, everyone does black and red,' merry-go-round. Well, might as well he....help...the hell?!"

My advise is to find someone more qualified to give advise than myself :lol: Those guys are above my caliber.

Guys and gals heres my painting history as this seems to b the debate now i have been painting for about 8 months now and never COMPLETED A model becausemthey all looked boringand had no character so i did reasearch onpainting tebchniqes all frow this site i actually owe these guys to the peeps who posted the tutorials so ask again ne advice on how to improvem them further would b great cheers for everything all

I agree with Heru Talon. The two styles are difficult. And it's not just because of the chevrons, but also because of the flow. Dezartfox uses his brush in a completely different style (creating "stripes"), whereas demios style rather is a little less clean (don't take it as an offense; I speak in your favour ^^).

Also, just like MagicMan said - what good would it be to be admired for other people's work? I don't think demio's nuts. ^^

Other than that, demio has been trying to fool us. Telling us that these were his first models he ever painted simply is a lie, especially as he admitted he just hadn't completed others.

I do, however, think that even a total noob might get results as good as that, just because we've got so many great tutorials and "how tos" in the internet; basically speaking, you can acquire every skill older painters had to learn during the many years they are enjoying this hobby. You can learn - just by reading - which brush should be used in what way, you can learn what effects colours can have and how they are to be mixed, you can learn which areas you have to paint rather careful and on which ones you can more or less slap the paint. The only thing you cannot learn is how to actually weild a brush - but the means people have today (washes!) quite make that up.

At least to my mind.

Despite being made with less effort and most simple techniques, these miniatures still are nice to look at. And that's just exactly what matters.

Thus I say, without further ado: well done. :-)

Guys and gals heres my painting history as this seems to b the debate now i have been painting for about 8 months now and never COMPLETED A model becausemthey all looked boringand had no character so i did reasearch onpainting tebchniqes all frow this site i actually owe these guys to the peeps who posted the tutorials so ask again ne advice on how to improvem them further would b great cheers for everything all

Ok now I'm sceptical. How can you paint so well, yet write so badly? ;)

My friend painted his first model the other day and its at my standard - he's a gfx designer.

People forget that artists etc... just "get" colour combinations/how to make good mixes etc.. its part of their talent. Even if its not their proffesion/studies or whatever, just being a good artist will do it, its like painting a picture, but in my eyes easier (I suck at art but can put a good few people to shame with a tank...)

My friend painted his first model the other day and its at my standard - he's a gfx designer.

People forget that artists etc... just "get" colour combinations/how to make good mixes etc.. its part of their talent. Even if its not their proffesion/studies or whatever, just being a good artist will do it, its like painting a picture, but in my eyes easier (I suck at art but can put a good few people to shame with a tank...)

+1. Being an artist myself, that's a somewhat good description of how it is... You know when and why certain colors won't work the way they are and you ten to know what to replace what with what.

Also, if you are a dedicated artist, chances are you won't settle for a crappy first model. This may simply be the most extreme example of that that I've seen so far, with numerous test peices building up to one final masterpeice of a first model. The thing is, it's important that he had practice before, so it's not really his first model, more a culmination of his previous efforts into his first completed model.

Archived