Land Raider Dedicated Transport Question

AngryJohnny

I'm using C:SM. I know that I can take a Land Raider as a dedicated transport with my Assault Terminators. The question I have is, can I have another squad use that transport and have my Assault Terminators deep strike into play? Or would the Assault Terminators have to enter play using the Land Raider that was bought as their dedicated transport?

The reason I ask is, currently my Assault Terminators deep strike in. My Land Raider Redeemer is taking a HS slot and used as a transport for my Sternguard Squad & Pedro. I'm wondering if I could free up the HS slot by taking is as a dedicated transport but still use it to transport my Sternguard.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, however only the Termi squad can start the game embark ed in the transport, You will have to start the Stern squad and Pedro right next to the LR and embark them in the first movement phase.

So I can still use the Land Raider to transport my Sternguard (I just can't deploy them as embarked in the vehicle) and then I can still have my Assault Terminators enter play via Deep Strike and not in the Land Raider that was purchased as a dedicated transport. I really want to make sure that I'm understanding this correctly because still being able to use my Land Raider for my Sternguard and have an extra HS slot would be really nice for when I expand my army to 2500pts.

I've read over the rules for the transports in the Rule Book (I have the AoBR rule book) on page # 66 & 67 and it wasn't really clear about this. Does the Rule Book or Codex cover this particular scenario anywhere or is it simply implied in the Dedicated Transport section on page # 67 that says that the "The only limitation of a dedicated transport is that it can only carry the unit it was selected with. After the game begins, it can then transport any friendly infantry unit..."? What confuses me about this is, I can't find anywhere that says a dedicated transport may be deployed empty. I assume that this is the case, and that is what lead to me to this train of thought; because a 10 man Tactical Squad can take a Razorback as a dedicated transport even though they won't fit. I also can't find anything that specifies that Terminators may still enter from reserves via deep strike even if they were used to purchase a dedicated transport.

You've got the jist of it.

The only limitation of a dedicated transport is that when it is deployed it can only carry the unit it was selected with (plus any independent characters). After the game begins, it can then transport any friendly infantry unit, subject to transport capacity and other special exclusioos. as explained in the vehicles entry

However, the transport is still a seperate unit and does not have to be in reserve or deployed at the same time as the unit it was purchased with. As for your terminators, they never loose their Deep Strike rule, so may deploy using it even though they were bought with a dedicated transport so long as they are not declarwed to be in it when reserved. Finally, you don't have to find a rule saying you can deploy a transport empty, you already have permission to deploy your units. There would have to be a rule saying you can't deploy a dedicated transport empty. :HQ: Enjoy your now-freed up heavy support slot.

P.S. - If you have any further concerns, and a friendly Space Wolves player in your game group, ask him about buying a Land Raider dedicated transport for his Wolf Guard unit when all the Wolf Guard models are reassigned as pack leaders.

You've got the jist of it.
The only limitation of a dedicated transport is that when it is deployed it can only carry the unit it was selected with (plus any independent characters). After the game begins, it can then transport any friendly infantry unit, subject to transport capacity and other special exclusioos. as explained in the vehicles entry

However, the transport is still a seperate unit and does not have to be in reserve or deployed at the same time as the unit it was purchased with. As for your terminators, they never loose their Deep Strike rule, so may deploy using it even though they were bought with a dedicated transport so long as they are not declarwed to be in it when reserved. Finally, you don't have to find a rule saying you can deploy a transport empty, you already have permission to deploy your units. There would have to be a rule saying you can't deploy a dedicated transport empty. ;) Enjoy your now-freed up heavy support slot.

P.S. - If you have any further concerns, and a friendly Space Wolves player in your game group, ask him about buying a Land Raider dedicated transport for his Wolf Guard unit when all the Wolf Guard models are reassigned as pack leaders.

:D

I completely missed this possibility. My World Eaters army is about to include more Chosen/Terminators and Defilers/Vindicators. :HQ:

If you are using vanilla marines and not using all of your heavy slots, you can take the raider as a heavy and embark whatever you want in it for deployment. I'm guessing you're trying to find a way to not take it as a heavy?

If you are using vanilla marines and not using all of your heavy slots, you can take the raider as a heavy and embark whatever you want in it for deployment. I'm guessing you're trying to find a way to not take it as a heavy?

Yeah, I was looking for a way to free up a HS slot for when I expand my army to 2500pts so I could get another Vindicator or a Land Raider Achilles. Then it occurred to me that I am taking an Assault Terminator Squad and can purchase a Land Raider as their dedicated transport which frees up the HS slot my LR is currently taking. I just wasn't sure if I could continue to use the LR as a transport for my Sternguard Squad and still have my Terminator enter play via deep strike.

Yep Vodunius has it. And also check the Dedicated Transport section on p67.

Dedicated transports can only deploy with their own unit inside. But their first turn one any unit can get into any dedicated transport (provided they're legally allowed to).

But, as a HS unit that doubles as a transport – any unit (who are legally allowed to) can deploy in it.

So AngryJohnny you can't actually do what you want there in your example I'm afraid. You have to use your HS slot if you want your Sternguards to deploy in it.

Cheers

I

I don't want my Sternguard to deploy in the Land Raider, I just want them to be able to embark on it their first turn and use it as their transport and still have my Terminators to deploy via deep strike.

So with the way the rules are stated, I can still use it for my Sternguard, I just can't have them deploy already embarked.

Archived