Dreadnoughts without DCCW

Quixus

You don't need a weapon to do so.
Are you sure? Wouldn't that mean that even Tac Squads get two attacks? One just for being there and one for the pistol, which counts as a close combat weapon?

No, a pistol alone does not give an extra attack, you must have two one handed close combat weapons (assuming the weapons in question are not both different special ccw or have rules that forbid the extra attack).

Attacks in CC are worked out as follows

Base attacks (the value listed as A in their profile)

+ any bonuses (+1 for charging, +1 for having 2 one handed close combat weapons, any other special rules).

Walkers do not get bonus attacks for having 2 one handed close combat weapons, instead they get +1 attack for each close combat weapon beyond their first.

No, a pistol alone does not give an extra attack, you must have two one handed close combat weapons (assuming the weapons in question are not both different special ccw or have rules that forbid the extra attack).
That's the way I read it as well.

Attacks in CC are worked out as follows

Base attacks (the value listed as A in their profile)

+ any bonuses (+1 for charging, +1 for having 2 one handed close combat weapons, any other special rules).

Walkers do not get bonus attacks for having 2 one handed close combat weapons, instead they get +1 attack for each close combat weapon beyond their first.

OK I thought you needed a first (counts as) ccw to be able to assault. I reread the assault section and you are right.

Reducing rifleman dreads to artillery would have been a shame.

This is quite simple; just follow the dread's statline.

He's got base 2 attacks (like a Veteran, Sgt., etc...makes sense, as the dread is def a vet to be in that venerated suit) and base Str 6. How does he attack back thematically? In my mind he kicks, stomps, knees, and face-bashes. :huh:

The guns do not count as ccws, nor does a model need ccws to take it's base number of attacks in an assault. Not that the dread's base number of attacks does not increase when he does have a DCCW...only when he has two ccws (a la iron clad).

The answers above are correct. Check the Dreadnought Close Weapons section on p73 BRB. It explains precisely the DCCW's special cc strength bonus and what happens when the weapon is lost or replaced.

This is why the Dread has two Strength characteristics (with the reduced 6 in brackets) in its stats.

Cheers

I

Archived