Can someone explain ordnance barrage to me?

travh20

I am trying to figure out how the ordnance barrage could negate cover saves, and what kind of cover would it negate? I am not understanding the wording "The target work out their cover saves as if the shot came from the center of the blast marker". Are they saying if a unit is behind a wall, safe from direct fire, but the barrage template lands on them behind the wall they get no cover as it came down on top of them? What if they are in an area terrain of trees? Or a ruin? Is it a judgement call between both players if a shot from above would allow a cover save or not? Thanks.

Also, is it just ordnance barrage the can negate cover saves or all barrage weapons?

All barrage weapons determin cover from from the center of the blast marker. Thus your example of the units behind the wall will not get a cover save. Units in area terain (ruins are a type of area terrain) still receive a cover save, just like the would if the target shooting them was located at the center of the blast marker.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. SO the times when it actually can negate a cover save can be kind of limited. Still though, good to know, as it will come up from time to time.

Oh, I forgot to add,

Frosty, you da man!

It's also important to note that in a multi-level ruin, barrage weapons cannot hit a unit that is not present on the top level, AFAIK.

B)

Barrage weapons always strike the highest level that is under the hole in the centre of the marker. Only models on this level and under the template are actually hit. BRB page 85

Barrage weapons can only hit a unit on the same level the hole in the center of the blast marker is over. If that level happens to be the second level from the top models on that level may still be hit.

It's also important to note that in a multi-level ruin, barrage weapons cannot hit a unit that is not present on the top level, AFAIK.

:(

Barrage weapons always strike the highest level that is under the hole in the centre of the marker. Only models on this level and under the template are actually hit. BRB page 85

Barrage weapons can only hit a unit on the same level the hole in the center of the blast marker is over. If that level happens to be the second level from the top models on that level may still be hit.

...isn't that what he said?

The difference between the two statements is that the blast template doesn't invariably hit the top level. If it hits, i.e. the hole lands on the second level, that is where the shot is assumed to have landed, where models hit and wounded are calculated normally. Subject to being on the level the template hit, that is.

Indeed- came up in a cityfight game I had recently- the template touched five of my opponents devies, but the hole actually was in a hole about 1.5" square in the middle of the building.... and missed everything.

Also- dont forget your barrage weapons are pinning.

Archived