The Godhammer

Shadowstalker Grim

Ah well, can't have everything. They ARE sitting in a mobile fortress with plenty of firepower! Still the more I look at that tactical set up the more i like it! If it took a rhino it would be like 240 points which is a bit much maybe.

If taking the godhammer what would players suggest to compliment it? A lot of sitting back and blasting away or some units that close quickly and rely on the godhammer for a firebase?

I was debating a couple of dreads one AOBR, (since that dread seems to have a limited range it would help it move and provide quite a close bodyguard) perhaps the other a lascannon/missile launcher (or perhaps TL-AuC, though it can't threaten as many powerful targets...plus requires converting). Part of that is based on model cost and what I personally have as this is rather a large part of 40k!

If taking the godhammer what would players suggest to compliment it? A lot of sitting back and blasting away or some units that close quickly and rely on the godhammer for a firebase?

Well, the long answer is that this depends entirely on the composition of the rest of the army and various other things blah-ba-biggity-blah-blah. Short answer, you need some sort of an assault element with Space Marines. Period, end statement, full stop. I've tried making 100% shooting armies and they just don't cut it. So whether its deep striking terminators, an assault squad, or jump pack Vanguards, I suggest something that is capable of punching face.

Redeemers and Crusaders are heavily armed APCs. Phoboses are main battle tanks with a transport capacity. Role dictates use.

Well the more i look at the assault squad with 2 flamers and a powerfist...the more i see a tactical squad that fancies a fight. I'll probably use 5 terminators with a CML and maybe a chainfist. About the same cost as those 10 men, but powerhouses in assault, tougher, able to move and shoot and threaten vehicles too.

I quite fancy them as my main assault element, though they should just be able to walk alongside the landraider too, offering fire until we get to an objective and then just assault anything on it, off of it! (Well unless its coated in power weapons or plasma weaponry) I hope that the CML and lascannons can open up any transports on the way and then storm bolters and tactical squad bolters could whittle down the units sitting around and then finally smash a few faces in with both the terminators and the tacticals.

Well, the long answer is that this depends entirely on the composition of the rest of the army and various other things blah-ba-biggity-blah-blah. Short answer, you need some sort of an assault element with Space Marines. Period, end statement, full stop. I've tried making 100% shooting armies and they just don't cut it. So whether its deep striking terminators, an assault squad, or jump pack Vanguards, I suggest something that is capable of punching face.

Redeemers and Crusaders and heavily armed APCs. Phoboses are main battle tanks with a transport capacity. Role dictates use.

I'd contest that statement that you need an assault element. My current army list is unbeaten in a few months now, and there is no dedicated assault element to it, just mech and a lot of a guns. I pretty much abandoned assault to capitalise in the Space Marines' strengths, short range shooting and mech mobility, and so now I get to pick my battles and where I fight. I'd love to have an assault element, but as Assault squads and Vanguard don't cut it, and Assault Terminators get expensive due to the LR transport, plus being unfluffy in my list, I don't field them. I could field a Command squad, but most of my LRs are tied up with my separate from the Chapter Redemption Fleets but that's a while other debate.

I would love to field a LR, I do from time to time, justifying it as combined ops, although I am considering using a phobos LR in larger point games, justifying that it's been the 3rd Company's for a while, and I would use it as a firebase, sticking a 5 man tactical squad in it to make it scoring, and then park it on an objective.

I don't think the extra range of the LC's are a waste, since when is the ability to reach across the board a bad thing? I see the LR as a situational beast. Against foot/horde armies, IG or whatever, It's weapons aren't that useful and if it's not carrying something angry, then it feels like a points stink. If your opponent is ready to kill two and you have only one, that's no good either.

My LR is usually carring a full Tac squad+flamer+PF & my Librarian+Avenger, which is usually strong enough to take on anything that's not dedicated assault or eternal warrior. Plus it scores.

The roles this plays in my army:

Draws Melta fire from my slower/less armored Vindi/Dread/Combi-pred

Covers the AV11 side armor of Vindi

Add's most accurate/powerful AT fire to Rifleman/Combi-pred/Typhoons

Blocks LOS to Rhino's and Land speeders behind it.

If I put Terminators in it, then It would out pace the rest of my army. However, there was an thread here, quite a few months back, talking about scouts in a LR; either a chaplain led CC scout squad or a bare bones 5-man scoring unit. FAQ stipulates they can use their scout move to get in the LR at start of game.

Archived