Post-heresy Luna Wolves

wise_crak

hey guys this is the first time i posted an army of B&C

this army has been in the works for about a year now! (shocking i know but univeristy slows me right down!)

got some progress though :)

basic fluff is the group that escaped on the einstein frigate made it back to terra and were given the soul task of attacking chaos,

so iacton qruze led the survivors back to the ivvasstan system found some survivors and on the journey around the maelstrom picked up marines who werent on the planet and didnt get tainted by chaos (on the run) (longer full fluff coming soon)

so my 1500 pnt army will consist of all Luna Wolves and so will the 1850 but as i get higher than that i will add other legions that escaped

emps. children, death guard, thousand sons, world eaters. each in their pre-heresy colours im hoping the weapon colours and bases will tie them all together

going for a lava world bases im making out of cork board!

im not claiming to be an awesome painter or modeler this is the first army i havent just primed and stuck on a black base and pretty much said job done! ;)

heres the group shot! in it you can see some tac squads half the assault squad 3 objective markers an off world stargate, a Rhino (going to be pre-heresy)

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239/wisecrak/PB190002.jpg

heres some of my troops still all PIP and WIP's, here you can see my alright paintjobs and efforts for lava basing!

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239/wisecrak/PB180024.jpg

i thought i would make the effort to paint the insides!

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239/wisecrak/PB190005.jpg

let me know what you guys think i have got an army list etc :) im hoping to have alot of it done by the start of january got some bits in ;)

Wisey B)

They look really nice, and the lava works really well with the white armour. For the lava bases I would suggest that you use a few more colours to make the transition look smoother. Also, a lite wash of blue might add some depth to the white.

They look really nice, and the lava works really well with the white armour. For the lava bases I would suggest that you use a few more colours to make the transition look smoother. Also, a lite wash of blue might add some depth to the white.

thanks man! thats the reason i choice lava! originally they were going to be on snow bases but once i finished the model and was about to start work on the bases i noticed how boring ALL WHITE would be so wanted an opposing colour so swayed between industrial zone of blacks browns and greys or bright lava went with the latter for a challenge! how am i meant to get better taking the easy route :)

any tips on how to improve the lava? i do plan on going back and making it blend a little more but want to get the chunk of the army done first

Wisey ;)

nice idea, go for it!

I'd suggest though to add just a couple of squads from other legions, so you don't mess it up too much visually.

Or just some members in each squad...

Great idea for the bases, they look perfect with the white of the armours! Bleading them more would be nice. Mixing bleached bone with the base colour works well, you just increase the ratio of bleached to the base colour for each step and it should come out well.

nice idea, go for it!

I'd suggest though to add just a couple of squads from other legions, so you don't mess it up too much visually.

Or just some members in each squad...

Great idea for the bases, they look perfect with the white of the armours! Bleading them more would be nice. Mixing bleached bone with the base colour works well, you just increase the ratio of bleached to the base colour for each step and it should come out well.

thanks det :D

im loving these compliments guys! im kinda glad i went for a lava base now :D

thanks for the advice! yeah i only plan like 1 tac squad from each chapter or a single model i think my plan is at:

1 death guard tac squad & rhino

1 emps. children tac squad & rhino

thousand sons librarian (see what i did there...its magic i tell you :P )

1 world eaters assault squad

and a command squad with 1 member of the loyalist legions in there (some named characters that are named to have escaped garro, tarvis etc!)

I will get the full fluff and army list up soon as i finish my teacher trainning application form!

Wisey B)

Very interesting project. Coming along nicely. May I suggest another unifying element? Perhaps a cloth, maybe black or red, covering the chapter symbol to denote there status of being a more or less Astartes without a legion? If not that, perhaps some other marking. I don't think they would simply cross out the symbol - that seems to crude and renegade-like - something more in the way of honoring themselves as loyalists. Perhaps the cloth is marked by the Imperial Eagle?

Very interesting project. Coming along nicely. May I suggest another unifying element? Perhaps a cloth, maybe black or red, covering the chapter symbol to denote there status of being a more or less Astartes without a legion? If not that, perhaps some other marking. I don't think they would simply cross out the symbol - that seems to crude and renegade-like - something more in the way of honoring themselves as loyalists. Perhaps the cloth is marked by the Imperial Eagle?

Thanks EPK!

omg i like that idea!! a cloth on the squad leader to show him and his squad are loyal! should have enough for that hmmm bits box where are youuuuu.... haha!

Wisey :)

Glad to see the Lunar Wolves are still going strong, am loving the cloth idea. I think that would look great I agree witht the idea of having a mixed bag of loyalists fighting for the emperor. keep up the good work and looking forwar to seeing more of your work.

:) Sometimes the only tool in a box is a spanner

I agree witht the idea of having a mixed bag of loyalists fighting for the emperor.

I just remembered where I saw something like it before (no, I can't take credit for it). It's in the Dorian Heresy PDF, page 30, for what the post-heresy (loyalist) Word Bearers look like. They call it a "votive cloth" and for them it denotes assignment to the Devastators. I suppose it can still be called a votive cloth in this context as it is given and worn to show they keep their vow to the Emperor and the Imperium despite their traitorous brothers.

;) Sometimes the only tool in a box is a spanner

some one throw me a spanner! <_<

EPK Votive it is! sounds like a good name to call it! ^_^ "worn to show they keep their vow to the Emperor and the Imperium despite their traitorous brothers" i like that!

although i brought this up and got slated for on a diff forum but the good old inqusition! they were obviously made by the surviving loyalists as well and hence created chapter 666 - grey knights! wouldnt be hard to believe the loyalists would have this chapter on speed dial would it? :(

i plan to type up the fluff that i hope to stick with tonight!

Wisey :(

This is cool, I had an idea like this once with a bunch of loyalist marines from the traitor legions fleeing the massacre at Istvaan in a stolen ship ala Flight of the Eisenstien but their ship's navigation systems and fried by a direct hit just as they make a warp jump causing the destination to be randomized.

Once they re-emerge from warpspace they find themselves lost in an unexplored region of space and the ship is too damaged to make another warp jump, let alone get them to Terra in time to make a difference so they set the ship down on a nearby world, set the servitors to use the local resources to repair the ship and realizing how long it would take to get the ship spaceworthy again they went into stasis only to re-awaken several millenia later when a Rogue Trader stumbles upon the sleeping marines after detecting the ship from orbit while exploring the system.

Rather than killing the Trader however the marines decide to hire him as their "agent", the Trader would use his contacts to supply the marines with equipment they may need as well as word of traitor legion activity so the loyalists could hunt them down and take vengence.

hey guys!

Sanginious: that is pretty cool! but means that i need all pre-heresy marines! i dont have enough bits for that :/ hence making them later means i can introduce the non studed stuff etc.

spanner/dwarf: there will be other legions included in the army after the 1500 point is reached :)

big update tomoz when i got the chance to take pics, can you say "pre-heresy goodness"? ;)

Wisey B)

I like Sanguinuis Reborns idea. 3 or 4 squads painted up in loyalist colours hunting down their wayward brethern sounds cool.

:cuss

Thanks brother, I like to imagine that the marines had seen the error of their ways in years since their awakening, they recognized the flaws that had allowed their legions to become corrupted. I also think most marines from the different legions would be part of different squads depending on their skills, for example:

Tactical Squads: Mostly Luna Wolves, Death Guard, Word Bearers and Alpha Legion.

Assault Squads: World Eaters, Emperor's Children, Night Lords.

Devastator Squads: Iron Warriors, Thousand Sons.

I say Luna Wolves instead of Sons of Horus as I think that after their Primarch betrayed the Imperium and everything they stood for the last thing these Loyalists would want is to call themselves his Sons so they reverted to their previous name.

hey guys :devil:

bit of an update ;)

pre-heresy jump packs:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239/wisecrak/PC020003.jpg

pre-heresy rhino

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239/wisecrak/PC020001.jpg

pre-heresy pred. in progress!!

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239/wisecrak/PC020002.jpg

these bits are awesome fair do!

from Chapter house studio loads of AWESOME stuff sure their modling isnt the best alot of flash and bits not modled perfectly but im not complaining! their awesomness just covers that :P

rhino chassis with the bits i will green stuff to make it not look stuck on :)

what ya' think?

Wisey :confused:

Loving the asault squad, where are the helmets from? Are you going to paint them as a loyalist worldeater squad?

Quote "Questions, Questions always questions" My old maths teacher ^_^

i like the questions ^_^ means people are interested in my work! :D

the helmets are fantasy warriors of chaos helmets with the horns cut off! in 1 box of chaos warriors i had enough heads for 2 tac squads and a 5 man assault squad!

nope im going to make the first 1500 pnts souly Luna Wolves to show their superiority as a chapter! i will add a world eaters assault squad later (chain axes to count as chain swords? yes please :D)

my next post will be the fluff let me know what you think of it :D

Wisey B)

Fluff:

Established fluff:

A small handful of survivors that escaped on the ‘Einstein’ reached terra after Dorn rescued their battered ship from the warp and warned the emperor of Horus’ betrayal. They were then told that the imperium was making an organisation to combat different threats (inquisition hint)

This is where I begin to speculate:

Each of the survivors swore they would protect the emperor and terra under his name not their fallen primarches names. The Sons of Horus repainted themselves as Luna Wolves to show their dismissal of Horus.

The emperor before going off to fight Horus appointed Iacton Qruze (half heard, captain of the 3rd company) in charge of the small fighting force due to the fact he had been around his the beginning of the crusade (and I think he was on Terra during its unification?). after the battle of Terra the marines were given a ship and left for the galactic south east to search for any more brethren who either were stuck on ship when chaos took over or survived Ivastaan bombing. The ship is on course around the maelstrom arriving back at the Eye of terror in the north east. Along the way modifications to armour had to be made to keep up to date technology yet still remaining mostly pre-heresy.

Armour:

A mix of pre and post heresy due to damage.

The left shoulder pad will display the original company symbol and any new recruits will wear the symbol of the chapter that recruits that person due to being a small force and the hate for chaos recruits are picked singly and carefully the Luna Wolves are so far the only group to put together a fighting 5 man scout squad

Each marine will keep a count of how many chaos marines killed with a mark on individuals armour or gun

Tanks:

A lot of tanks from the siege of terra were repaired and taken on the journey before the mark 2 chassis was mass produced although while on their crusade some new vehicles were required to rescue fallen survivors including state of the art vindicators

Notable characters in 1500pt army:

Iacton Qruze - survivor of the Einstein an old crusade veteran taking command of the loyalists being the most experienced (cato sicarius rules and model)

Loken – ironclad dread. found wounded and in hiding with body of Tarik, Loken being to badly injured was transferred into a new ironclad dreadnought

1500+pts

Thousand son librarian – they loved to dable in ancient magic

Tarik – in a normal dreadnought too badly injured for his body to be able to handle the ironclad shell

Command squad has a member from each company and represents their ability

Apothecary – thousand sons – again ancient magic

Stand bearer – Luna Wolves (the

Champion – Garro from the death guard (going to use AoBR captain it’s identical to his picture)

A world eater with a chainsword and bolt pistol

Power sword marine – Travitz from the Emps. Children

if i remember dint tarik have his head cut off?

Ow :lol: i havent read that far into the book yet! haha i knew he died but thought i might not have been that serious haha!

hmm headless tarik....that puts a spanner in the works :P

BUT,

if Loken was injured and had the recently killed tarik with him on a planet alone MAYBE they sealed themselves in the drop pods perfect in stasis so when the the united legion (new name ;)) found them in stasis they rushed Tariks head into a dread. unable to control the ironclad from being so badly injured they put him in a basic model :D

problem solved ;)

Wisey B)

If I may suggest, your lava doesn't look right. There is no glow to it, so it doesn't feel hot. You can get this effect with a light dry brush of red / orange to the edge of cork rock and may be a some reflected glow on the white armour, which would be coloured by the light falling upon it. I light wash of yellow to the lower leg and underside of the knee pad would help bring this out... But OSL is not an easy technique to master. Also being being under lit from the glow of the lava completely changes the positions of the shadows on the model.

If I may suggest, your lava doesn't look right. There is no glow to it, so it doesn't feel hot. You can get this effect with a light dry brush of red / orange to the edge of cork rock and may be a some reflected glow on the white armour, which would be coloured by the light falling upon it. I light wash of yellow to the lower leg and underside of the knee pad would help bring this out... But OSL is not an easy technique to master. Also being being under lit from the glow of the lava completely changes the positions of the shadows on the model.

thanks for the info on how to make the lava look nicer! i will try the glow on the rocks and blend the actual lava itself :lol:

theres no chance at all im even going to attempt OSL! this is my first army that im actually taking the time to shadow, pose, convert etc.

my 2 others were just stand straight and hold your bolter marines while i prime you and give you a bit of colour ;)

think i will save OSL for future armies! baby steps :P

Wisey :P

pre-heresy pred. in progress!!

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o239/wisecrak/PC020002.jpg

That beast warms my heart :P

"BOOM! How ya like me now!?"

Anywho, yeah, the lava bases need some blending. A glaze of Blood Red or maybe yellow would probably work. I'm not sure which wash would be most suited to that color scheme, but I've found Sepia to be a miracle worker on all sorts of things.

That beast warms my heart :wub:

"BOOM! How ya like me now!?"

im glad you like my pred! :D it likes you for liking it haha still work to be done on it mind ;)

a small update bought my HQ yesterday hes very WIP small converstion so far new head and getting rid of ultramarine symbol :P much harder on metal might i add! i also have worked on the tanks to make them EVEN MORE PRE-HERESY!! :) :woot:

hoping to get more done tomorrow!!

Wisey B)

Archived