Land Speeder Storms

captain sox

Hello folks!

Played a great game last night against Necrons, 1500 pts and it was fun. A scenario from the Battle Mission book too. Anyway, I lost in the end, but an interesting question came up.

My opponent isn't at all familiar with Scouts and their equipment, and I was playing with a Land Speeder Storm. Anyway, we got to talking and he was wondering if I could combat squad a 10 man Scout Squand into 2 Land Speeder Storms. I left my Codex at his place, so I can't look up if the LSS needs a Sergeant as part of the 'Crew'.

Is this a legal and legitimate use of these great vehicles?

Thanks for any and all insight.

you could yes, but there aome questions/problems that arise becuase of it.

1: you couldnt outflank them together, all 3 would be considered seperate units in this case

2: since the sergeant is the mainstay of a scout unit why would you want just 5 plain scouts in a storm?. you want at least a combi-weapon or meltabombs or something in there and without it, your losing a lot of potential.

of course against necrons i understand having 5 ccw scouts becuase they can kill a small unit of warriors, but for the most part the above stands true

I knew you'd shed some light on this!

I figured there would be no real benefit from it...

Could you keep the 1 unit in the 2 Storms in reserve and Deep Strike them as 1 unit, or would each one be treated as a seperate unit? Or would they have to be deployed on the table at the same time (ie at the beginning of the game?) I ask for reasons of Apocalypse games... when you can have a large amount of LSS's in a game (but are only allowed 10 man units)

As a side note, my friend was very impressed with how the army stood up against his 'Crons. I was just a dice roll or two away from phasing him out. He was most impressed with what the LSS could do!

Telion and his Snipers killed 3 Destroyers, 3 Heavy Destroyers and a few Immortals... not too bad for a ~200 pt Unit! :unsure:

Could you keep the 1 unit in the 2 Storms in reserve and Deep Strike them as 1 unit, or would each one be treated as a seperate unit? Or would they have to be deployed on the table at the same time (ie at the beginning of the game?) I ask for reasons of Apocalypse games... when you can have a large amount of LSS's in a game (but are only allowed 10 man units)

No unfortunatelty not, its all to do with the LSS not being dedicated transports..

any unit can start a game in a transport aslong as that transport is not dedicated to another unit.. in this case the scout squad can be combat squaded and placed in the two seperate transports during deployment.

If they reserve they must do so as thier seperate units, so that would be a seperate dice roll for all 3 (the 2 LSS and scout squad).

If you roll for all 3 to come on at the same time, they still couldnt come on the table embarked becuase the decision to combat squad doesnt happen until you deploy them on the table.. i.e too late to embark them (which is nominated during set-up)

Telion and his Snipers killed 3 Destroyers, 3 Heavy Destroyers and a few Immortals... not too bad for a ~200 pt Unit! :unsure:

One of my first real stand out games was against a cron army, my own army was no where near as effective as it is now, but with 20 snipers i killed 2 out of 3 of his tomb spyders first turn before my storm scouts jumped out and played tag with his warriors.

it ended badly for him.. highlight was my LSS multim-melta killing a monolith with a single lucky shot

Archived