Tank Shock Question

RastlinD

I am currently playing a game with my friend and this situation came up and I could not find an answer on how to solve it. First off a tank shock must occur in a straight line correct? That is to declare a tank shock a vehicle may pivot but then must continue on in a straight line from that point forward correct? My next question is this, my opponent is playing orcs and has a battle wagon with a a deft roller, I have a drop pod with a dreadnought behind it. Can my opponent attempt to tank shock my dreadnought through my drop pod? What is the rule sequence on this, my understanding is that first he attempts to hit the drop pod and then if he is successful there he can continue on into my dreadnought? Or does he just automatically go through both of them? Thanks for your help, also if you can please site page numbers from the rule book so I can read up on it that would be great.

Uh...he hits the drop pod. Drop pods are vehicles and don't get tank shocked. I believe you can combine a ram with a tank shock though. So if he rams and explodes the pod, he can continue on his (pre-declared distance) tank shock.

However, if this interpretation is incorrect, I would be glad to hear a more correct resolution.

Ed has it right.

He has to declare a RAM to get through the Pod, and then attempt to RAM the Dread. Dreads are not Tank Shocked, they are Rammed.

If he explodes or wrecks the Pod, he can continue on to the Dread, but will have to make a dangerous terrain test to move through the resulting crater or wreck before passing on to the Dread.

To add to ShinyRhino's points, note that the opponent needn't declare a "target" for his Tank Shock! or Ram! (which is a special kind of Tank Shock!). He simple declares that he's Ramming/Tank Shocking, which means his vehicle has to move the maximum distance that it can. Since it's max distance can potentially move it through the Drop Pod (provided the Ramming attack Explodes the Pod and he makes the subsequent terrain checks, as Rhino explained) he can feasibly hit the Dread. It's a long shot, tho.

EDIT: I'm 90% on this, but now I'm not 100%...I may be confused about not having to select a target. Pending my rulebook being located or someone else locating theirs... You definitely do have to move the full distance you an though, so a Tank Shock! can result in a Ram! or vice versa, or multiples of each.

Note that when you Tank Shock, you don't have to go your full distance, just what you declare your movement to be.

Ah, I was confused! Is it the Ram only then that you need to move the full distance? (Hence why you must declare one or the other.)

Ah, I was confused! Is it the Ram only then that you need to move the full distance? (Hence why you must declare one or the other.)

Neither of them. You move the distance you declare, or as much of that as possible (you might get stopped by something before you reach the full distance).

Also, a target is not required.

You do declare a Tank Shock instead of normal movement, along with the distance you wish to travel.

If you do declare a Tank Shock, even at maximum speed, you can not Ram, you stop 1" from enemy vehicles.

If you declare a Ram you move at your maximum and can tank shock any units in the way.

You can pivot, but once aimed you must go straight ahead.

You do declare a Tank Shock instead of normal movement, along with the distance you wish to travel.

If you do declare a Tank Shock, even at maximum speed, you can not Ram, you stop 1" from enemy vehicles.

If you declare a Ram you move at your maximum and can tank shock any units in the way.

You can pivot, but once aimed you must go straight ahead.

Correct

Archived