Starting Lamenters

Focke

I'm thinking of starting a Lamenters army, or I should say repaint an older DIY chapter to be Lamenters. I have some ideas on how I want the army to look, but I was wondering if there were any units that would fit a Lamenters army.

Well...a new BA player? Welcome aboard! ;)

Since Lamenters were 'officially' declared a BA successor, I think any BA-specific units would fit. However, if you check C:BA you'll find that it states that Lamenters had somehow managed to suppress Black Rage... But if you check Imperial Armour Vol. 9 you'll find that Lamenters still have Death Company (and suffer the Black Rage) and other BA-specific units like Baal Predator.

IMHO taking any BA-specific units in your Lamenters army is appropriate, but it's you who choose which 'fluff' to follow and which units to include.

Hope this helps.

As part of the Twenty-First, so-called Cursed, Founding the Lamenters were the subject of genetic experiments to purify and improve their geneseed.

This succeeded in the fact that they eliminated the Black Rage, but let the Lamenters subject to their "curse" of terrible luck.

Obviously, as the Brother above mentions there are some contradicitions but that is what I believe to be the "correct" fluff.

As part of the Twenty-First, so-called Cursed, Founding the Lamenters were the subject of genetic experiments to purify and improve their geneseed.

This succeeded in the fact that they eliminated the Black Rage, but let the Lamenters subject to their "curse" of terrible luck.

Obviously, as the Brother above mentions there are some contradicitions but that is what I believe to be the "correct" fluff.

Yeah, the 'correct' fluff states that Lamenters had no flaw (aside from bad luck). But I kinda liked how it was interpreted in IA vol.9. It states that Lamenters overcame Black Rage, which was caused by the overall 'melancholy' of the Chapter. However, as the time passed, the melancholy was progressing and somehow this caused the return of Black Rage outbursts. I don't have IA 9 by my side now to quote it properly, but If my memory serves, that was the point (you may check it in the Chapter's description). 

But the final decision is up to OP, as the choice of fluff version IMHO depends on whether you include DC in your army list or not. If you want to, you may justify it by saying "I follow IA9 fluff". If you prefer not to include DC you may say "The Lamenters have suppressed the gene flaw". 

Anyway, with or without Black Rage in your fluff, you have 'justified' access to all BA goodies such as Baal Preds, StormRavens, Sang Guard, Sang Priests and Furioso Dreads. :)

Oh I leave it totally up to the OP, 'twas just giving my opinion on the matter.

I will say though, that if you go the non-Black Rage/DC route then try and give everything a more date/battle-damaged appearance; the Lamenters are down on their luck, so would find it hard to come by replacements and aprts and so I fell imagery should echo this.

But as has been said, there are two ways for you to go.. Just a case of which you prefer.

"From blood born, to blood evermore consigned." They were made from blood angels geneseed, and eventually they return with the same flaws (and the melancholy ANd the bad luck... man, are they cursed founding or what?).

I also like that they're truly a chapter with a bleeding heart as described in IA:9, with their attack on slaughterhouse III and trying to save mere humans as much as possible...

Thanks for the info. I finally got around to reading IA 9. However I think I will be playing my Lamenters closer to how they are described in the codex. So at least for now I am not going to be using any death company. I am interested to see how I do without any special characters as well. In fact the army that I am thinking about may not look very Blood Angels at all. My other army is Black Templars, so I am interested in using units that the BT can not use. So I'll have scouts, a librarian, a dev squad. In fact I want this army to have a strong shooting element to go along with the assault element. So far I plan on having 1 chaplain with jump pack, 1 librarian with jump pack, 2 sang priests, shooty terminators, 3 tac squads with rhinos, 1 scout squad, 2 assault squads, 1 dev squad, a predator, and a dreadnought. This is of course subject to change, and will likely be tweaked as time goes on. The funny thing is I am starting an army using the Blood Angels codex so I can have a more shooty army.

• 1 year later...

Archived