Does 'pinned' as a unit status exist in 5E?

BigDunc

Pinned and Gone to Ground. In 99% of the situations in game, a distinction between the two doesn't matter. One of the situations where it does is BT's Righteous Zeal (the intent of this thread though is not to discuss RZ, but rather just to discuss Pinned and GtG in isolation).

Some people take the position that Pinned and Gone to Ground are the same thing as supported by the FAQs. Others take the position they're different and cite the need to fail a pinning test to become pinned.

I don't agree with the former position because it suggests that if I GtG voluntarily that I'm considered Pinned. I personally think the latter position is more accurate. But, I think they're might be an easier solution:

You can never be "pinned" because that status does not exist. The FAQs say: ‘pinned’ is simply a short way of saying ‘gone to ground by failing a pinning test’ and 'A pinned unit is simply a unit that has failed a pinning test and has gone to ground'. Upon taking a pinning casualty, the unit exists in a state of having to take a pinning test, which if failed, immediately puts it into the state of being gone to ground. At no point are you "pinned". For almost every situation in the game, once you're GtG it doesn't matter how you got there.

Thoughts? Is this what people mean when they say pinned and GtG are the same thing?

After reading both entries in the BRB it would seem that there is no action called pinned but GtG is a byproduct of a weapon with the pinning rule attached to it.

I don't know if people mean GtG when saying pinned but by default when using a pinning weapon I can see where people would use this term. Albeit technically a false statement it is one that is easy to make. :cuss

being knocked unconcious and falling asleep are different things but both result in the same thing (more or less).. so by your logic i could say i was asleep by means of being knocked out..

pinned is a rule, becuase it exits in the BRB, it is not gone to ground becuase you cant voluntarily pin yourself.. G2G is merely he mechanism for reprisenting being pinned

BRB FAQ

"Q: If I find a reference to a unit that is ‘pinned’, does it

mean a unit that has gone to ground? (p24)

A: Yes, ‘pinned’ is simply a short way of saying ‘gone to

ground by failing a pinning test’."

The only difference is you can choose to Go to Ground or be Pinned and forced to Go to Ground.

Once in that state there is no diffence.

Archived