Shrike and Command Squad

captain sox

Hey everyone!

I'm looking for a good Command Squad loadout to run with Shrike. I play an all Scout list, and I feel like I'm missing some added punch. I figure I can equip a good Command Squad to run with him and some Assault Scouts. Shrike and the Command Squad are the only Power Armour units in the list.

Here's what I'm thinking:

1) 4 Veterans with Power Weapons, Apothecary.

2) 2 Veterans with Melta Guns, 2 With Plasma Guns

3) 3 Veterans with Power Weapons, Company Champion, Apothecary

4) 4 Veterans with dual Lightning Claws (very costly)

Let me know if there are other options that you think would work...

Thanks!!

i use shrike myself and if you want more punch you have to either put he command squad on cikes or use vanguard or something.. if they havent got packs or bikes then first turn assaults are out..

its a real shame command squads dont get JPs otherwise shrikes wing would show up alot more.

my 0.02 go for regular assault marines, no special weapons and a fist on the sergeant

GC08 speaks the sad truth here, Command squads can't have jump packs. So therefore, I'd consider it a wasted choice to pick them. Personally, I still like the fluff he had from the last Codex which stated he has his own, specially trained squad called Shrike's Wing, a cadre of Veteran warriors and stealth experts equipped with dual lightning claws and jump packs. Sounded fantastic and really individual, so have a think about that, using Vanguard Vets, although feel free to mix up the equipment a bit. The other thing you could go for is a regular assault squad, remember they'll be able to infiltrate him, so any jump pack unit will be in combat first turn, possibly along with your scouts (who have a free move in addition to fleet), so just play about and enjoy.

Yeah I go for the cheap assault squad with hammer. 5 Vanguard with jump packs and dual claws is 310 points. WAY too much for a 5 man squad. 10 man assault squad with hammer is 210, and allows you to spend those 100 points elsewhere.

and your Vanguards can't use their special rule if Shrike is with them.

the good thing about using vanguard with shrike is that if you get first turn they dont need heroic intevention, they can assault first turn, if you dont get first turn, outflank shrike with some scouts and the vanguard can then use H-I.

About using normal Assault Marines with a fist and no specials, I was under the impression that the flamers were the things that dealt a lot of the damage that an Assault squad can put out. Now obviously you don't want to waste points on a couple of flamers when you can fleet to get into combat, but in anyone's experience how does leaving out specials to get the fleet movement affect the Assault squad's potency in assault? And does Shrike come anywhere near to making up that deficit created by leaving out the specials?

If you take Shrike, take other jump pack troops to keep up with him, and for character, yes, claws where possible! Frankly, even in a scout heavy list - I'd still have one asault squad and a vanguard squad, and a libby too! Get that first and then go for scouts....scout bikers, snipers, etc., and have fun!

Shrike is largely wasted without jump troopers alongside him. Everyone always goes "Shrike+Hammernators FTW hurrr durrr!", but it doesn't typically work out for an actual alpha strike.

Because of the limitations of Infiltrate, you need a unit that can move 12" in the movement phase, roll Fleet, and then charge 6". It guarantees you get into close combat on the first turn. A foot-borne unit simply cannot pull off a first-turn charge against anyone who's got their head on straight. All it takes is one empty transport to deny the 12" deployment outside LOS, and you're standing there with Shrike and a unit of Hammernators with their thumbs up their backsides.

Keep the Shrike unit melee-oriented, and cheap.

Consider a 10-man Assault Marine unit, with a reasonably-armed sergeant (either powerfist, or power weapon+meltabombs). Special weapons might be nice, in case you don't have suitable alpha strike targets, or want to vary your deployment strategy. That's a lot of grenades and one meltabomb clamped to a non-moving vehicle, or multiple vehicles if you're really lucky.

Also consider a 6-7 man Vanguard Vet squad, with jump packs, one pair of lightning claws, and a smattering of meltabombs. Same usage, more generic attacks, more meltabomb capacity, in a smaller package.

Archived