Sternguard w/ Elite Rhino

The Black Watch

Some of you may have followed my little WIP Rhino that I was designing for my new Sternguard. The article can be found HERE. Well, it's finally finished, as is the squad!

It's the first time I've attempted blended Aquila or glowing eyes and I'm rather pleased though I must say white is hard to paint and the casts for these mini's did me no favours. Anyway, enjoy and comments/critique welcome as usual.

Sternguard Squad Crius

http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac240/rikmuschamp/Dragons%20of%20Porphyra/squad.jpg

With their pimped-out Rhino

http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac240/rikmuschamp/Dragons%20of%20Porphyra/rhino.jpg

http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac240/rikmuschamp/Dragons%20of%20Porphyra/all1.jpg

Thanks!!!

Now it might be me, or it might be the camera, or its genuine, but the white looks a tad thick.

Otherwise, nice colours and good detail. Eyes are veyr nice and the highlighting is good too. The Rhino's texturing is clever and works well. Overall, nice job.

Definately an inspiring piece of work. Great work on the Rhino, you've really given it character.

I am currently painting a squad of sternguard as well, and I can relate to your complaints on the molds. The barrels of the bolters especially were pretty 'warped up'. Yours look great though, love the blending!

A job very well done, particularly their ride. I'm inclined to ask just what your purple recipe is, too :tu:

Hate to point this out and ruin a good thing, but the Combi melta fellow on the right, I think you may have missed a spot on his bolter-the winged skull icon thingy.

Now it might be me, or it might be the camera, or its genuine, but the white looks a tad thick.

No you are correct, I think my initial coats of white were not watered down enough and have 'clagged' up a bit. It's a shame but lesson learned.

A job very well done, particularly their ride. I'm inclined to ask just what your purple recipe is, too :lol:

Hate to point this out and ruin a good thing, but the Combi melta fellow on the right, I think you may have missed a spot on his bolter-the winged skull icon thingy.

Thanks, my Purple recipe has been carefully concocted but its pretty easy:

1. Undercoat Black

2. Drybrush with a slightly watered down liche purple. This should paint the raised area's purple without being too bold and leave the recesses black.

3. Apply a Leviathan Purple wash

4. Now you should have a nice deep purple. Its important that this effect is subtle and you can apply more layers of wash if needed.

5. Highlight with pure Liche Purple

6. Add more highlights mixing in Fortress Grey to get lighter. Voila!!

I did notice the bolter-icon during the photoshoot - doh! I will re-visit it.

It's the first time I've attempted blended Aquila or glowing eyes

You should try it more often, It look ACE!

my only point would be, with such good looking minis you should have hightlight the respirator black grill, and the white but it as already been discussed.

Thanks, my Purple recipe has been carefully concocted but its pretty easy:

1. Undercoat Black

2. Drybrush with a slightly watered down liche purple. This should paint the raised area's purple without being too bold and leave the recesses black.

3. Apply a Leviathan Purple wash

4. Now you should have a nice deep purple. Its important that this effect is subtle and you can apply more layers of wash if needed.

5. Highlight with pure Liche Purple

6. Add more highlights mixing in Fortress Grey to get lighter. Voila!!

I did notice the bolter-icon during the photoshoot - doh! I will re-visit it.

Wicked. Now I just gotta figure out a proper color combo for battle damage on purple. Thanks much.

Well, that and I gotta get a hang for using washes on vehicles. Big flat areas + shader that works best on lots of nooks and crannies...hm. :)

Wicked. Now I just gotta figure out a proper color combo for battle damage on purple. Thanks much.

Well, that and I gotta get a hang for using washes on vehicles. Big flat areas + shader that works best on lots of nooks and crannies...hm. :)

Let me know when you figure it out as I haven't yet!! :P Even the weathering powders don't fit perfectly over purple. And you're right about the washes. That's why I converted this rhino to have more nooks and less flat areas. ^_^

That is awsome. Although doen't the purple mean they are going to turn to chaos? Still awsome.

I hope not... :o

Love 'em. They certainly advertise "Veteran" status. :) How much of an army to go with these guys?

Check my signature. ;)

Archived