Ultramarines Captain

So after spending a bit of time in the warp, I've returned with some shiny models and a LR to showcase, but this is what I've been working on recently...Still got a fair way to go before painting but I love C+C along the way..

A few body shots.

gallery_55263_5217_153110.jpg

gallery_55263_5217_64828.jpg

The plasticard on the torso is where i will greenstuff in some armour abs.

And a couple of shots of the Captain with arms and backpack.

gallery_55263_5217_27761.jpg

gallery_55263_5217_11454.jpg

And yes, that is an auxiliary grenade launcher attached to the backpack.

How's it so far? How's the pose? I plan to have him stepping on a dead nid. :tu:

Yours in honour and Faith,

Chaplain Hiltraud

Very nice model so far, but if i may make one small criticism, the Aux grnade launcher on the back looks very spindly, like it would snap if something breathed on it, i would suggest mounting it directly above the backpack connection point, rather than on the pair of twigs holding it up currently

other than that, it looks like a great model so far, your GS skills put mine to shame

Deca out

@Captain Mick: Cheers :P

@CompanyChampionSeige: I wanted something different to the SG torso, plus i had already sculpted the Ultramarines badge on the torso above and wanted to use it for something special and overall; I love practising and sculpting with GS...

@Decadent: Thankyou ;) and I'll have to agree with you about the Aux Grenade Launcher, I'm still working on it though, still got braces, wiring and rivets plus a swivel mount to put onto it so hopefully it comes together as a nice looking attachment...I used almost the exact proportions of a servo arm; I figure servo arms are a good blueprint and techmarines wouldn't hesitate to use a tried method?

More pics to come soon....

A little sculpting done with the armour abs and chestplate. Not exactly what I had in mind but once I started I had to go with what came natural!

Considering this is the most GS work I've ever done, I think it's going good and I am quite happy with the results...

gallery_55263_5217_113625.jpg

Looking at that pic, I am yet to clean up those abs, it was a tad difficult to work with, the legs kept getting in the way!

gallery_55263_5217_129559.jpg

Notice the sword is now 'powered' up :P and the Aux grenade launcher is allot of fun!

C+C always welcomed :)

Yours in Honour and Faith,

Chaplain Hiltraud

Quick update, did some GS on the other side of torso, drilled the gun barrel, did a little bit more work on the aux grenade launcher(though you can't really see it in this pic) and added an 'iron halo' (taken from another model)

gallery_55263_5217_130023.jpg

the GS has to filed around the abs section of torso, that darn leg kept getting in the way!! ah well, I know for next time...

Chaplain Hiltraud

this looks very good and i especially like the torso work you have done, but the one thing that still doesnt look quite right is the arm on the backpack and the gun on the end of said arm.

@Captain Mick: Thankyou for the encouragement :(

@greatcrusade08: Thankyou, GS skills come with practice and from what I see, you are already a dangerous man!!! :devil:

@Boomsly: Thankyou, the Aux grenade launcher was a trial, I wanted something that actually looked like it could target and operate independantly to the SM, what I mean by this is the AuxGL can move and target in any direction at any height and not just the way the SM is facing. As I mentioned before, the arm is modelled on a servo arm.

Finished the AuxGL and arm today also added some motifs to the shoulder pads, all that is left is some filing and cleaning of the model.

These will be the last pics before painting.

gallery_55263_5217_114339.jpg

gallery_55263_5217_62804.jpg

That is the final touches on the AuxGL, I added some bracing and bolts etc, I think it came out good.

Shoulder pads with Veteran and Ultramarines motif.

gallery_55263_5217_168740.jpg

Have only done a few molds before so I'm hoping the details on this mold are good enough!

gallery_55263_5217_159435.jpg

Next pics will be halfway through painting.

Yours in Honour and Faith

Chaplain Hiltraud

@Nathanel: My advice is just jump in and do it! You never know what can happen! :)

@Captain Mick: Thanks for the constant encouragement, I'm glad you're liking my project. :)

@matchbox: Thanks, I'm glad you like the Aux GL! By all means you can use the design, sharing's caring! :P

Chaplain Hiltraud

More painting in between work, unfortunately I don't get allot of time to paint and when I do it's always around 1am so lighting isn't great in these shots but I wanted to post them to get opinions on the plasma pistol and power sword, this is my second attempt at doing PW's this way and I think it looks ok, but I'd love some feedback on it!

Also, anyone got an idea of basing? I want him to be stepping on a dead nid severed head/torso but it's got to be on a standard base, I'm still going to use him in tabletop battles!! I'm think of cutting up some nids tonight and making a trial base which I will post soon...

Plasma Pistol

gallery_55263_5217_149862.jpg

Power Sword

gallery_55263_5217_82517.jpg

Chaplain Hiltraud

Basing idea:

I want to base him as though he is slicing his way through a swarm of nids, I want the half torso in there as a nod to the picture I drew inspiration from, obviously this base is very WiP i want a few rocks and nid gore. Anyways, I'm just snowballing ideas...

gallery_55263_5217_166687.jpg

gallery_55263_5217_49617.jpg

Chaplain Hiltraud

@Kid Famous The Punch: Thanks and hopefully these pictures will be better as they aren't taken at 2am :D

Quick update, base is pretty much finished bar some GS gore around the severed torso and severed arm.

A few body shots with base. Note: This is not the head I'll be using, I just put it there for dramatic effect ;) the real one is pinned and drying.

gallery_55263_5217_73579.jpg

gallery_55263_5217_132365.jpg

And these shots are to focus on the base.

gallery_55263_5217_61177.jpg

gallery_55263_5217_153346.jpg

gallery_55263_5217_14963.jpg

The arm is severed halfway down the nids forearm mainly because it wouldn't fit with talon and all so I'm adding so GS gore and want it to look as though the nid's arm got cut by the power sword on the way to the throat.

Chaplain Hiltraud

Archived