Black Templars going to ground

ChessMaster

But it doesn't. Perhaps GW intended for the move to be optional, but they screwed up the wording like they screwed up when they added 'identical' to the paragraph. To me, the wording is too strong in favor of requiring a move and a direction.

It actually made perfect sense...for 4th Edition. Codex creep is making it able to be edged into looking flaky.

RZ never talks about distance, it only talks about direction. Only Consolidate talks about distance and gives it as "up to" [optional]

Consolidate talks about distance being optional up to a maximum; RZ states the minimum required distance (anything allowed by Consolidate but not 0").

There is no conflict between distance being optional and being forced to move.

You get 4" on the roll. You move 1". You have taken advantage of the optional distance and satisfied the requirement to move.

The forced aspect of RZ only takes away the option of (not) moving 0".

I've read some old BT battle reports where players actually hit BT squads to force them to chase units with RZ. I'll play what we have, but given the rules in 4th Ed where you could Consolidate move into another unit it would make a lot more sense for an assault army to be trying to close as fast as possible. Which is why I think it should be read as moving the full d6", but I can live with RME as well as RZ if that is the way it gets interpreted.

Aye, I'd be willing to accept that the movement thing isn't an absolute, like...yes, the vast majority of the time they would run the full distance but there's always an exception. For example, if you can plainly see that if you charge forward at full speed you will simply be charged by the enenmy as you get bogged down by difficult terrain and such along the way, then it would make sense that you would want to only go some of the way...but also, that is possibly another roll of crusader seals, if the roll is too high, then do the re-roll and hope for less.

Aye, I'd be willing to accept that the movement thing isn't an absolute, like...yes, the vast majority of the time they would run the full distance but there's always an exception. For example, if you can plainly see that if you charge forward at full speed you will simply be charged by the enenmy as you get bogged down by difficult terrain and such along the way, then it would make sense that you would want to only go some of the way...but also, that is possibly another roll of crusader seals, if the roll is too high, then do the re-roll and hope for less.

LOL. I was trying to figure out a way to cover moving less than the full amount rolled. Yes that is one good reason not to move the full distance.

Well, even filled with rightful rage (I mean..uh..zeal..) they are still Space Marines, whereas the death company for example lose almost all sense of the marine they were, the Templars would I preseume still be able to be made to see sense before they ran into a minefield or something >_>

Archived