Space Wolves Rune Priests

Forteller

So guys i was thinking about Space Wolves and most specifically Rune Priests.

Are there any particular tactics to be used in such an army scenario? I am referring to 4 Rune Priests in Rhinos or something to that effect.

For starters is it worth going all out on 4 x JoTWW? Perhaps 4 x Living Lightning or 4 x Murderous Hurricane?

What should compliment such a list, what are its weaknesses, its strengths?

Isn't it kinda like playing 4 overpowered vindicare assasins?

Cheers!

So guys i was thinking about Space Wolves and most specifically Rune Priests.

Are there any particular tactics to be used in such an army scenario? I am referring to 4 Rune Priests in Rhinos or something to that effect.

For starters is it worth going all out on 4 x JoTWW? Perhaps 4 x Living Lightning or 4 x Murderous Hurricane?

What should compliment such a list, what are its weaknesses, its strengths?

Isn't it kinda like playing 4 overpowered vindicare assasins?

Cheers!

It's not going all out with 4 Rune Priests. You get most of the bang for your buck out of one of them, with a second giving you the boost to durability you need, and not being able to spam power-sets due to the Space Wolves "must be speshul" rule hurts them a bit. And the Codex: Space Wolves HQs have a lot going on for them.

For powers, as an outside looking in, I really like Living Lightning + either Thunderclap in a Hybrid / Mech list (yes, it works while the Priest is in a Rhino or Razorback, so tank shop and Thunderclap that exposed light infantry!) or Living Lightning + Tempest's Wrath in a Foot list.

It has been FAQ'd if i recall correctly, i am sure you can share at least 1 power, two if ya add ol' Nij....btw living lightning is a shooting attack...don't think it would work in a razorback......

You can share at least 1 power, correct. And no, you can't living lightning from a Razorback, but I was referring to Thunderclapping from a Razorback or Rhino. Having the option of an extra autocannon in the list would be my usual go-to.

Take a single random bit of wargear on each guy (keep it cheap or useful)... If you have the points the chooser of the slain (or whatever it is called) can mess up the plans of certain armies...

Then for psychic powers I like living lightning, murderous hurricane, jaws of the world wolf and the one that messes up jump infantry and deepstrikers... can't remember the name of that one :S

When I've taken 3 I've taken living lightning on two because it is my favourite power popping transports willy nilly and with unlimited range you can normally be out of hood range for a while. Hell I've even caused big issues for mecheldar when they haven't had runes of warding. I would say itis worth taking the psychic power which I've forgoptten the name of if you are taking a number of priests because if you come across a list that relies on a lot of that stuff (If I've not confused what it can do) such as daemons or DoA BA lists you can really cause them issues and if not you can always use your other power. Then jaws and hurricane as you like. Personally I don't think jaws is that great and that most of the time I'll get more out of hurricane.

4 rune priests in drop pods or rhinos multiple joww is very powerful as if your having to make 4 I-tests your likely to fail even if you have to roll a 6, even 4 living lightnings or 4 murderuos hurricanes is pretty awsome as having to take 4 dangerous terrain tests isnt fun. With 4 rune priests your pretty much closing down any physics your opponent is using making things like twin lash demon princess librarian dreads and mephiston pretty much useless. Th e down side is things like nids elder and dark elder all have stuff that will kill all 4 rune priest dead making 400pts of your army useless. Imo its always worth taking 1 in any list just for the chooser, its worh 110pts by itself against army that like to infultrate, for instants against nids it will give you at least a extra turn of shooting with your long fangs.

Jaws is very situational. It primarily depends on your opponent's army and the Rune Priest's mobility. Against Eldar, it's not particularily good. Against Orks, it's fantastic (especially with the mobility to line up shots).

Its only not worth taking against eldar dark elder and some nid builds. murderuos hurricanes is really good against nids and tempest wraith and thunder clap slaughter elder/ dark elder.The fact is 2/3 of the games your ever going to play are going to be against marine builds and jaws is brilliant against marines especially if you spam it, i regularly take out full strength units of termys that way.

Your right though, the best way to run a rune priest is in a rhino with a squad of gray hunters firing out of the top hatch.

Archived